Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Sep-13-01, 09:59

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 147/147/110
BF:
Progress: 0%
Angry flabby arms, inner thighs & love handles

i've been doing cardio - how long is adequate?

and how often can i do tricep exercises so that i can get rid of this hanging flab/fat on my arms (it's really bad??) therefore i want to attack it full force - but i know muscles need to rest & repair.

thanks again
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Sep-13-01, 10:11

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Any amount of cardio is good However to optimize fat burning it is best done for at least 20 minutes and first thing in the morning on an empty stomach. Following a low carb WOE we have an advantage over most in this respect. Your body will first use carbs for energy when doing aerobic exercise followed by fat, the greater your store or carbs, the less fat will be burned. By working out first thing your carbs are at their lowest as you've been fasting (sleeping) all night. It is estimated you can increase fat burning by up to 300% this way.

As you stated, all muscles need to rest. A good rule to follow is 2 days rest between workouts. I'm sure the experts here will be able to provide some great exercises to follow and some ideas on sets and reps. But remember that in order to see the results of all your hard work, your body will have to get rid of the fat. Low Carbers have an advantage here too, our diets are rich in protein which our body uses to build muscle. I've noticed a marked improvement in muscle tone since I started resistance training (at a much faster rate than before). The recovery period seems to have speeded up as well.

Best of luck to you!
Nat
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Sep-13-01, 10:14

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 147/147/110
BF:
Progress: 0%

thanks nat - awesome suggestions!!!
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Sep-14-01, 13:30

Plan: Zone
Stats: 255/242/230 Male 75 inches (6'3")
BF:21%/15%/8%
Progress: 52%
Default exercises

Wow, thanks Nat. Took away most of the leg work for me. LOL. Good advice.

As for exercises for your trouble spots, you have to understand that you can't spot reduce. You can spot-build/spot-"tone" <shudder that I used that word>, but fat loss isn't specific to one area on your body. Still, you should weight train to firm up theses areea while the cardio and LC WOE will take care of fat loss for you.

TRICEPS: Any pressing motion will work them. Triceps should be worked in this order is they are getting special attention:

(1) Pressing motion (chest press, shoulder press, etc.)
(2) Arms 90 degress in front of body (pressdowns)
(3) Arms 90 degrees behind body (dips, bench dips, kickbacks)
(4) Overhead motion (overhead triceps extensions, skullcrushers, French Presses, etc.)

INNER THIGHS: Forget those embarassing machines at the gym. This is better ...

Any squatting motion (squats, leg press, hack squat, etc) done with legs slightly wider than shoulder width, and tose pointed out SLIGHTLY ... The key to getting this so you get inner thigh work is to go as DEEP into a squat as you can. Take 3 seconds to go down, and 2 seconds to come up. Try this on a machine such as a leg press first, so that you don't have to worry as much about form as you would on a traditional squat.

LOVE HANDLES: All fat loss. Sorry to say.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Oct-31-01, 12:16

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 208/194/150
BF:
Progress: 24%

I have the exact same 3 areas that need shaping up (love handles, the most). I was reading the thread so eagerly to find the magic formula to attack love handles until I came to the end. Too bad! (Buy the way, why in the world do we call it love handles. They are more of "hate handles"!)

Thanks for the suggestions on the other 2 areas, though!

I have started doing cardio twice a day.. morning and evening. I do step aerobics in the morning and brisk walk in the evening... 30 min each.

2 Questions for the experts:

1. Is it true that splitting your workout into 2 distinct sessions keeps the body at a higher metabolism and thus burning fat for 24 hours?

2. If I do only the cardio and no weight lifting, when the fat is gone, will I have loose, flabby muscles? I am really concerned about the love handle part of the body. Do the muscles and skin shrink when the fat is gone?

Thanks
Seema
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Nov-04-01, 22:33

Plan: Atkins/ Protein Power
Stats: 173/140/140 Female 69.5
BF:2ndX w/ Atkins
Progress: 100%
Default I would love to know the answer to Seema's Q #2

Quote:
2. If I do only the cardio and no weight lifting, when the fat is gone, will I have loose, flabby muscles? I am really concerned about the love handle part of the body. Do the muscles and skin shrink when the fat is gone?

I have a similar question to Seema :
If I lose all my undesireable fat...and I'm not doing cardio (I'm almost motivated, but the inches are coming off without cardio)...what will my muscles look like? Will the muscles look "flabby"? And does the skin shrink? and does cardio help with that possible shrinkage?

Thanks for any info, this has been plaguing me...
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Nov-05-01, 02:24

Stats: 244/218/144
BF:48/42.3/22
Progress: 26%

I am absolutely NOT an expert in this area...but from what I have read...and have been told...I can say this.

The skin is quite resiliant...however...only to a certain point. If the skin is too stretched out...no amount of exercize will bring it back.

I found this to be true after the last time I lost all my weight. I actually had a tummy tuck done, because of the folds. I believe I will need another one once I get the weight off again.

Good news for anyone in Canada that may be interested in the proceedure...Medical may pay for it. They paid for mine. And I would do it again in a minute!

I do believe that exercize is the key to toning up the muscles, which in turn is going to make you look better...even if your skin is very stretched. And I think that the skin will shrink as long as it has not been damaged by stretch marks. At least I think it will. But like I said...I am not an expert by any means.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Nov-08-01, 10:06

Stats: 208/194/150
BF:
Progress: 24%

Thanks for your encouragement!

As the time is passing by, I am finding out the same... The skin shrinks automatically when the fat is gone. Hopefully, it continues that way.

Wish you all the best!
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jul-07-05, 04:10

Plan: south beach
Stats: 265/263/125 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 1%
Talking How do I get rid of Cellulite?

Hello everyone
I'm new to this message board, and I'm looking for some help! Does anyone know how to get rid of cellulite? Or even if you can? I know I have some on the backs of my legs and butt area but I can't seem to get rid of it...I've tried simply massaging lotion into it every night but it hasn't worked thus far! Help!!
Also, thanks to everyone for the advice on how to tighten up certain areas...I've been struggling for a long time and I want to get healthy and fit again!! I've let myself go and I need to get back to my original 125 lb frame so I will take any suggestions that you all can give...I'm currently on southbeach diet and it's getting hard to afford it anymore

Thanks
ALicia
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Jul-08-05, 05:20

Plan: low carb
Stats: 173/135.8/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 87%

It's talked about here: http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...light=cellulite You can find other places it's been discussed by going to the Search on this page and typing in cellulite. Good luck in finding the answers you need.