Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Sep-10-02, 11:30
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 120/120/120 Female 63"
BF:
Progress: 9%
Unhappy Frustrated and Discouraged

I'm so frustrated with LCing. I have been on Atkins for 12 days and I haven't seen any loss. I thought I had lost a few pounds but when I got on the scale this morning I was right back to where I started. I have been following the plan to the letter, I haven't cheated at all. I am in ketosis but nothing on the scale. I don't want to quit but I would just love to see some results
I read the chapter on people that don't lose and I don't even fit into one of those categories. I guess I'm just sounding off but I don't want to quit I just need a little sign that things will get better.
Cyra
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Sep-10-02, 14:22
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

I know a lot of people see a drastic weight loss in the first two weeks of induction, but not everyone. Were you dieting before you started induction? Is it PMS time? Are you working out? Sore muscles retain water.

Ditch that scale for a while. Twelve days isn't long enough to make up for all the time it took to put the weight on. Take some measurements, or find an old pair of pants that you currently can't quite fit into, henceforth to be known as the "pantometer."

Would you consider posting a day's menu, or start a journal? Perhaps we can give you some feedback.

Good luck...
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Sep-10-02, 14:31

Plan: My own
Stats: 166/147/140 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 73%

Hi Cyranda

I was the same way during the first two weeks. It was very frustrating to read Dr. Atkins book and think all these pounds should be falling off of me.

You are in ketosis, so you are burning fat.

I hope you can hang in there. I thought I was metabolically resistant, but I just lose a little slower than some people.

I am really happy with my progress so far. I have averaged around 1 pound lost per week. It's not a lot but it's good enough for me.

You'll start losing pounds soon
Sandy
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Sep-10-02, 14:48

Plan: Mostly atkins
Stats: 198/165/140 Female 5' 4"
BF:don't know
Progress: 57%

I didn't own a scale for the first month or so, and when I finally bought one, I wasn't down very much. But I was down and that was more progress than I had seen in over 9 yrs.
So ask lots of questions, post your menus and let the veterans critique and help you work out what is going to help.
What I realized that I wasn't doing enough of is exercise.
As soon as I added that to the mix of staightening out my insulin levels. Things really started to speed up. And, I have been able to drop from 198 to 155 since last April.

Also, things that work for me is green tea, cromium and calcium suppliments.

Hope this helps
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Sep-10-02, 15:36
Registered Member

BF:
Post Thanks all!

Thank you all for your encouraging words. As requested here is my menu for today.

Breakfast: 2 Fried eggs, 2 cups of coffee with 1 oz milk

2- 500 ml bottles of water

Lunch: one ounce mozzarella cheese, 3 oz slice ham

2 -500 ml bottles of water

Supper: 8 oz of Sirloin steak and 1 1/2 cups of yellow beans and 1/2 cup baby carrots

Cup coffee with 1 oz milk

Bottle of water

Snack before bed - 4 oz soy milk (2g carbs)

In general this is my normal everyday meal plan but sometimes I have 3 slices of bacon with my breakfast and the steak at supper time could actually be any meat and I don't normally eat carrots only they were mixed veggies and I couldn't see me sorting them out.
Also, I would generally have a salad with my lunch an a couple of devilled egg halves, today wasn't in a raw vegetable or cooking kind of mood.
I take a multi vitamin and a calcium and magnesium capsule daily.

I take my dog out for a walk in the morning and one in the evening. Probably 15 minute walks.. I know I should make more time for me but I can't seem to.

So there it is in a nutshell. I think I will start a journal and record my food.

I am not experiencing PMS and I started induction the day TOM came.

Thank you so much for your kind words, I am not going to quit I would just like to see results. I read Dr. Atkins book and it seemed to promise so much and I read testimonials that corraborated his ideas.
It would be nice if I was one of the success stories.....
Thank you all again,
Cyra
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Sep-10-02, 16:06

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

Okay I realize the mixed veggie thing but really carrots, and beans are not allowed on induction and they are allowed in very small moderation in OWL.

The purpose of induction is to help break your body of carb addiction. Carrots and beans have a fairly high GI (glycemic index) and can affect your insulin levels. Which is why you should avoid them. Insulin in the blood will prevent you from burning off fat. I also hope the milk in the coffee was cream as real whole milk has a high carb count because of the sugar.

Do start a journal so we can help you sort out what may be causing you to stall out
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Sep-10-02, 16:43
Registered Member

BF:
Default aaarrrggghhhhhh!!

Agony Cat,
I knew carrots weren't allowed but I didn't know yellow string beans weren't, I normally have a cup of these as my vegetable with supper, I had the mixed veggies because I didn't have my salad at lunch. I lent my sister the book and she took it with her on vacation... grrrrrrr.. but thank you for setting me straight on the string beans, I have them everyday so maybe that is the problem.
Milk in my coffee... well that's just the way I like it.. I suppose I could have it black. Hmmm.. normally when I count my carbs I'm not even close to 20 so I figure "what the hell" to the milk.

BTW congratulations on your loss so far, very impressive.
Cyra
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Sep-10-02, 16:51

You can use heavy cream in your coffee as it is higher in fat and lower in carbs. Milk is just the opposite.

I know green beans are allowed but not sure about yellow beans. Depends on the GI. You want to keep the GI as low as possible when chosing suitable foods.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Sep-10-02, 16:57

Stats: 182/147/145 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 95%

Hi Cyranda,

You might try posting your meals at Fitday. I know I was surprised when I did. Your carbs may be higher than you think, and on top of that, you may find your calories are too low.

judy
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Sep-10-02, 17:11
Registered Member

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 242/204/142 Female 5 feet 5 inches
BF:
Progress: 38%

Yellow snap beans, raw, have the following nutritional values per 1 cup/110grams:

Cal: 34
Pro: 2 gr
Carb: 7.8
Fib: 3.7
Net carbs: 4.1 per cup/110grams

According to the book, you may only eat the vegetables listed in the book if you have not eaten your 2 cups of salad during the induction phase. Dr. A wants us to get all of our vegetables from salad-type leafy greens during induction. Green beans, or any other bean for that matter, are NOT on the list of approved foods.

Also, is the coffee you drink caffinated? If so, you may want to switch to a decaf as caffeine can stall some people.

Take your measurements. If you don't see a loss on the scale, it could be due a great many things. If you are in ketosis, even the slightess bit, you are burning fat. Therefore, a good reference to use is the measuring tape. The tape will always go down if you are losing.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Sep-10-02, 17:19

Quote:
Originally posted by VarisSul
Green beans, or any other bean for that matter, are NOT on the list of approved foods.

This statement is not exactly correct. On page 97, of DANDR (yellow cover) it has String beans (some people refer to these as green beans), and wax beans are under the allowable 10 percent carb list on the induction pages.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Sep-10-02, 17:23
Registered Member

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 242/204/142 Female 5 feet 5 inches
BF:
Progress: 38%

I think that's probably why he revised the book (white cover). A great many people have trouble with vegetables that are higher on that end of the scale, so he just removed them from induction (the same goes for cottage cheese).
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Sep-10-02, 17:29
Registered Member

BF:

Calories Eaten Today
source grams cals %total
Total: 947
Fat: 44 399 44%
Sat: 16 142 16%
Poly: 7 61 7%
Mono: 17 149 16%
Carbs: 27 76 8%
Fiber : 8 0 0%
Protein: 107 427 47%
Alcohol: 0 0 0%

This is my breakdown of the foods I ate according to fitday - the yellow bean accounted for 15 grams of carbs although I believe that the amount you should record for Atkins should be less because of the fibre.. but I'm not absolutely certain on that. So I did go overboard today... grrrrrrrrrr

(Coffee is decaf)

Cyra
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Sep-10-02, 17:47

A link to the Atkinscenter "official" site.

According to the list on this site the above mentioned beans are still on his allowable foods list. So there is a conflict between his current website and his current book.

Go figure.

http://atkinscenter.com/Archive/2001/12/15-464579.html
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Sep-10-02, 18:01
Registered Member

BF:

Agony cat,
Well... I'm going to cut back on the string beans now that the season is over and they aren't as fresh and crisp as they once were.
They do account for a big chunk of my carbs and that may indeed be the problem so i'm going to squash them!
Good night all
Cyra