Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sun, Jun-19-05, 14:00

Plan: 1
Stats: 110/110/110 Female 111
BF:
Progress: 74%

But, the info from the book is all over here! So wy waste the money? Buy a good steak instead!
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sun, Jun-19-05, 14:10
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

I don't consider the book a "waste" of money. I think it's a good basic education about low-carb, and makes a person less likely to fall for everything they read on a message board. There are several, equally "right" answers for every question, and it's hard enough to sort them out when you HAVE read up on it. For example, I lost a lot better when I ate pork rinds as a snack, even on induction. It was when I started listening to the "cheat day" wisdom, I fell apart.

I've even quit sending people to the Atkins website... all it seems to be is a commercial for all their products anymore. That makes it harder, IMO, to get the basics without the book.
  #18   ^
Old Sun, Jun-19-05, 15:44
Queen of Bouncing

Plan: Temp - PSMF
Stats: 240/198/135 Female 63"
BF:Who Knows
Progress: 40%

I'm sorry, but I still think that 60 lbs in 3 months IS an unrealistic goal.

Debbie
  #19   ^
Old Sun, Jun-19-05, 16:33
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Yeah, I think 2 pounds a week is probably typical for people with good metabolisms and youth on their side.
  #20   ^
Old Sun, Jun-19-05, 17:28

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 202/154/135 Female 5.2"
BF:sc/ar/ey

ummmm I have lost 19 and told someone it was ok to eat pork rinds today so did you mean ME? lol
I have done Atkins before and lost 40 lbs within 5 months. I ate pork rinds because at that juncture I had no need to count calories and I stated in my other post if you HAVE to count calories do not have them.
I CALLED Atkins center and asked this question along with a vitamin question and they told me yes the pork rinds were fine for induction but that I might want to wait on the homemade guacamole at that time.
So if you were talking about me we disagree but my info came from Atkins center so I took it for what it was worth and never had any problems with it. I however DO NOT eat them now because I am trying to keep calories down this time and they are very full of those.
As to THIS posters problem I say it is VITAL to read the plan you are planning on doing and following it. I have never made 1 single recipe out of that book it had no real day to day type foods available to alot of us in rural areas. I do have a lot of great recipes however from forums like this one and after awhile you will be able to come up with your own.
It's worth researching and your health is so important it's worth it.
Good luck.
  #21   ^
Old Sun, Jun-19-05, 17:38

Also, The book is NEVER a waste of money. I bought mine 5 years ago and cannot tell you how often I have refered back to it. It's alot of info with changes as you progress so good to buy and KEEP someplace safe as you progress go back and refresh and make sure you haven't forgotten or missed anything. It was $7 not alot. Good luck.
  #22   ^
Old Sun, Jun-19-05, 17:53
Beach Bum

Plan: da Beach looking for Sun
Stats: 250/229.5/163 Female 5ft 5in
BF:not/ahot/clue
Progress: 24%

I have many of the Low Carb books in my collection and almost all of them were second hand. Never overlook the valuable resources of your neighborhood second hand store. I started this low carb odyssey on a 25c of DANDR out of a goodwill store - the best 25c I have ever spent .
  #23   ^
Old Sun, Jun-19-05, 21:21
LC Bridezilla

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 122/99/105 Female 62 inches
BF:Who/Cares
Progress: 135%

I agree with Rhonda...I'm in maintenance and still refer back to it from time to time for a variety of reasons. It's never a bad idea to have it at your fingertips for times when you can't get an immediate answer to your questions.

Also, each person is different. You can go ahead and look up all the answers on this forum, but you will have everyone's "tweaks" posted as well. It's good to have the "original" plan and try to stick to it before you start "tweaking".
  #24   ^
Old Sun, Jun-19-05, 22:15

Default Exactly

Quote:
It's good to have the "original" plan and try to stick to it before you start "tweaking".

And you will be tweaking. This WOL only works longterm when we find out what we can and cannot handle and what we need and cannot have in order to make this plan work for us.
Follow basic core plan. Get a good induction then later you can try some new things but always in moderation and always follow your core. You may find low carb "treats" Frankenfoods persay stall you like most. Some people can moderatly have them and no effects. I don't recommend them. But for example real foods like berries....I can have strawberries and be fine but if I have more then 1/2 cup it sends me into cravings, wierd but true. Moderation. We all will find our levels and we are all different.
I stay as close to plan as possible while still making it fit my life. I began this time at 40 carbs not 20 because I already knew my ccll and am also trying to best fit docs diet for diabetes while doing my atkins. It is involvong tweaking and will for some time.
Sorry so long winded. Listen to all advice, recheck with your book and some things you will find out on your own because we are all different some of this journey is going to be on your own.
  #25   ^
Old Sun, Jun-19-05, 23:03

Plan: Maintenance (PPLP)
Stats: 216/131/140 Female 5 feet, 5 inches
BF:48.79/21.19/23
Progress: 112%

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhondaK
And you will be tweaking. This WOL only works longterm when we find out what we can and cannot handle and what we need and cannot have in order to make this plan work for us.
Follow basic core plan. Get a good induction then later you can try some new things but always in moderation and always follow your core. You may find low carb "treats" Frankenfoods persay stall you like most. Some people can moderatly have them and no effects. I don't recommend them. But for example real foods like berries....I can have strawberries and be fine but if I have more then 1/2 cup it sends me into cravings, wierd but true. Moderation. We all will find our levels and we are all different.
I stay as close to plan as possible while still making it fit my life.

I agree. I've kept my plan simple for the most part, but do include some things that others have posted either stall them or spike their insulin levels.

Bread is something that was very hard for me to part with, so I have had a slice of LC toast or a LC tortilla every single day since I started LCing -- gives me the extra fibre I have a hard time getting, and makes this WOE liveable.

I've also had one serving of fruit per day since I started -- 1/2 kiwi, 1/2 cup strawberries, 1/2 cup cantaloupe, 1/2 avocado, or 1/3 cup blueberries...my latest craving has been 5 cherries. Never stalled me nor given me carb cravings, and it does wonders to satisfy my sweet tooth.

I also don't have a problem with alcohol -- I haven't drank much since I started this WOE, but the few times I have indulged in my rum and diet cokes, I seen a big loss the next day. Only explanation I can think of is that it tends to dehydrate me and causes me to drop water weight.

OTOH, sodium bloats me. I have to use low sodium bacon and keep my salt shaker in the cabinet....I take my potassium supplements faithfully.

I've tweaked my Protein Power plan in that I eat closer to 20/25 carbs per day rather than 30 -- I like my butter and italian dressing too much to give up the calories, but the carbs I do eat are healthy veggies/fruit, I don't spend them on artificial sweeteners or fillers.

I imagine I'll have to tweak more as I am nearing maintenance soon, but so far, its worked very well for me :-)
  #26   ^
Old Mon, Jun-20-05, 00:12
Undercover Goddess

Stats: 360/304.2/180 Female 71 inches
BF:Half Price Special
Progress: 31%

I have to agree that reading the book is necessary. Whatever low carb plan it is. You have to tweak the plan to suit your needs so it doesn't make sense to try to tweek a plan that has already been tweeked by someone else. Start with a clean slate.

As to the 60 pounds by August. As you get closer to your goal weight, your rate of weight loss will probably slow. Your body will want to hang on to those last 10, 15, or 20 pounds. I think 40 pounds is more realistic - as long as you don't cheat AT ALL. As someone previously mentioned your body needs to adjust to the change in diet and the change in your overall size. You don't want to shock it too badly.

In any case, GOOD LUCK and WELCOME!
  #27   ^
Old Mon, Jun-20-05, 05:28

Stats: 211/148/122 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 71%

I agree that buying and having the book on hand is the way to go. I would also like to say that losing a lot of weight in a short time might seem like a great idea but I think one of the keys to my being able to keep the weight off that I have lost is the fact that it has become a habit to eat LC. My brother lost 60 pounds in 4 months a few years ago and gained most of it back because it had not taken long enough for it to become a habit, I think. I am at my last 10 pounds and it may take another year to get it off but I know that this is the way I will eat forever now.
  #28   ^
Old Mon, Jun-20-05, 05:51
Registered Member

Plan: Warrior LC
Stats: 222/201/191 Male 180 cm
BF:30%/12%/12%
Progress: 68%

Quote:
Originally Posted by zigga1
I been LC for 2 weeks and I see no difference.
Well I did my own LC diet. I eliminated pasta, and bread. I bought a low carb cook book and excersiced the whole 2 week, missing about 3 days out of it. I binged only once, but yet and still. I look the same. it's depressing. The only thing I can say is that, now it is easy for me to pass up bread and pasta.
i wanted to loose 60lb by august. I don't know if I can do it now.

He zigga,

I do the same, removed pasta, bread (and potatoes and rice). For over two years now. I like it, and have good results, although it went slow.

But in your case there is a chance of eating not enough calories, go check this, if you eat or drink not enough your body will react by storing more fat and water in preparation of the experienced 'time of shortage'

Good luck
  #29   ^
Old Mon, Jun-20-05, 06:53

Plan: atkins
Stats: 235/187/158 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress:

to zigga1- i know it is hard to spend money sometimes to lose weight. i think your doing great to know your wanting to change your life style. do u have dollar gerneral stores or family dollar stores around?they sometimes have seasonings for 1.00 0r 2for 1.oo . shop meat sales. i ate alot of eggs /bacon/cheese when on my induction phase. some stores will run good specail on these.i now shop for sales and try to make my meals accordlly on what might be on sale that week and try to plan ahead. i go to TJMAX SOTRES and find flavors like davinnci sugar free coffe flavors to add to recipes. i find alot of recipes here . dollar general at my town has tuna bumble bee cans 2 for 1.00. so i stock up. go to costco's or sams clubs help me buy in bulk. i have a vacumm sealer and it does pay me to vaccumm meats and ect. i go to stores like save a lot and buy off brands that taste as good as brand names. you have to just try to plan ahead if you can. sometimes i do not. i have heard of a new sealer that is cheap and can use reg zipppy bags i am going to see if i can find it. i will put it in here if i find it. keep up the good work zippa1. sue
  #30   ^
Old Mon, Jun-20-05, 07:04

Plan: atkins
Stats: 235/187/158 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress:

zigga1 or anyone else. the web site for this cheaper sealer that you can use for zippy bags is http://www.order-ez.net
i do not know how great it is. it is not the same as a reg vaccum sealer but it is cheaper and works with zippy bags. this may help with saving money. sue- when going on this web site go to kitchen appliances to see it. it is called sealit!!!! sue