Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Main dishes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jun-14-05, 08:06

Plan: modified atkins
Stats: 133/118.4/110 Female 59 inches
BF:
Progress: 63%
Default Here's my manicotti/canneloni recipe

If you like meat canneloni you can brown some ground beef and let cool completely. Mix with a little marinara sauce just to moisten and add a handful of shredded mozzarella and some parmesean. Instead of filling the egg crepe noodle with the ricotta mixture, fill with this ground beef mixure. It's delicious!!
Please let me know when you tried it. I would love the feed back! Thanks

Mary’s Low Carb Canneloni/Manicotti

12 large eggs (7.2 grams)
12 tablespoons of water
1 tub ricotta cheese (12 grams)
1 large egg (0.6 grams)
1 package frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed dry (3 grams)
1 cup marinara sauce (15grams)
3-4 handfuls of shredded mozzarella cheese (1.6 grams)
¼ cup shredded parmesan cheese (1.5 grams)
1-2 pats of butter

Make your “Noodles”

Beat six 12 eggs with 12 tablespoons water. Heat a 6” non stick fry pan. With a small ladle pour 1/12 of mixture in fry pan. Twirl it around to coat the whole bottom. When it starts to set, watch for the egg to start pulling away from the pan. When that happens CAREFULLY pick up your egg with your fingers (it’s hot!) and flip it to the other side. This takes about 1-2 minutes on each side. It will go fast. You should end up with 12 small crepe“noodles”. Set aside in fridge.
Tip: You are basically making an egg crepe. You can make lots and freeze for future. It will look like a small tortilla shell.

In a bowl, mix the ricotta cheese, egg and thawed and squeezed dry spinach. Add dash of pepper.

In bottom of a 9x13 baking dish, spread a little marinara sauce. Take one crepe and put 1/12 of the ricotta and spinach mixture. Roll up like you would roll up a fajita. Place in your baking dish. When all 12 crepes have been filled and placed in you baking dish, pour remainder of marinara sauce over top. Sprinkle with mozzarella and parmesan cheeses.

Cut up 1-2 pats of butter and sprinkle over top of the cheeses. Cover with foil and bake at 375 degrees until top is bubbling. Uncover and bake for 5-10 minutes until top is brown. Let cool for 5 minutes then serve.

Carb count for whole batch of manicotti is 41 grams. That’s 3.4 grams per manicotti. You can have 2 or 3 per serving and still be at 10 grams. Serve with salad.

Tip: Make your own marinara sauce to ensure there is no added sugar. Saute ¼ onion in a little olive oil. In a handy chopper, blend one can of whole plum tomatoes (no sugar added) (Unico brand in only 5 carbs per ½ cup). Add tomatoes to pot. Add some salt and pepper and a handful of fresh chopped parsley. Let simmer for 5-10 minutes and your done.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jun-14-05, 08:29

Plan: ALKALINE!
Stats: 247/220/155 Female 64 inches
BF:20-22/20/10
Progress: 29%
Default hey

i just bought some ricotta - sounds like a perfect time to try this - thanks! i am not betty crocker (so it may be tomorrow or so) but i will let you know!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jun-14-05, 19:49
littl' ol' me;-)

Plan: Atkins-my own
Stats: 160/135/125 Female 5'8"(almost)
BF:Too dayum much!
Progress: 71%

OMG, first lasagna..now my second favorite! Thanks so much! I love these recipes!! I'm gonna try this, since I already used my family as guine pigs with the zucchine lasagna...I'm maken this this weekend!!! Wooo wee!! I can't wait
Thanks again!
Jul
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jun-15-05, 09:29

Plan: modified atkins
Stats: 133/118.4/110 Female 59 inches
BF:
Progress: 63%

Juel,

Please let me know how you and your family like it. I am trying to post some pictures of what the egg crepe noodles look like but I am having trouble so I will have to wait until hubby can do it. Trust me, they are YUMMY!
P.S I am not big on salt as you can see by the recipes. You can add some if you think it too bland.