Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jun-13-05, 10:30
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 150/150/128 Female 69
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Falling off (Please read!!!)

What happens if you're doing the low carb diet and you have one day where you fall off. On low cal, I've been told that like one day isn't a big significance, if you start the next day back to ur plan and intake then you'll be fine. So lets say you were having 20 carbs a day and one day you have more, but the next day you start back ur diet. Is it a bigger effect with low carb?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jun-13-05, 10:34

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 20/08/00 Female 5'10"
BF:not/low/enough
Progress: 60%

It shouldn't be a huge deal. You may see a temporary gain. It's as much water and those first pounds you lost.

Go back to eating lc, drink lots of water, move forward.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jun-13-05, 10:44

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

Misjudi,

Falling off for one day will not have a major effect on your health. The problem is that some people tend to fall off with great frequency. That does present problems.

Some people have reported feeling sick after a high carb binge day.

I would not recommend that anyone intentionally eat high carbs, but doing so on rare occasions when it is not possible to low-carb should not be a problem.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jun-13-05, 20:41

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 258/258/170 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 0%

don't let this slip up get you down. Just get back on track, and you will do fine. remember, once you are into induction for a few days, you will get a burst of energy, and you will just feel better. And your cravings should taper off.
good luck!
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jun-14-05, 01:41
Registered Member

Plan: Low Glycemic Load
Stats: 260/228/160 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 32%

For me the key is that I'm not on a diet. This is just how I eat. There may be times that my carbs are higher than others but I balance it out with lower carb days using my weight and the way I feel as a guide. Since it appears that you are at your goal weight, I assume that you are eating carbs at a maintenance level. That may include some higher carb choices once in a while. I make sure to not let one higher carb food choice lead me to a carb blowout. I just get back on track right away.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jun-14-05, 09:31

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 211/198/135 Female 63"
BF:
Progress: 17%

I agree with Zimms, this is a WOL not a diet. We are all human and make mistakes or bad choices sometimes. The key is to not let that one mistake turn into an excuse to totally blow your WOE. One, two, or more days is a bad choice but it would be a worse choice to go back to the high carb days for good. Just get back to the right way of eating and go on. That's all we can do. Feeling bad or beating yourself up could possibly lead to wanting to cheat even more.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jun-14-05, 12:46

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 176/138/120 Female 172
BF:
Progress: 68%

Well, for me this is a real problem. I cheated one time after 3+ months, I ate some cake at a wedding and... got 400 grams! If you take into account that I lose about 200 grams a day... and that the cake wasn't so good...this wasn't worth it. But as others said this is a WOL so if you don't do it frequently you won't have a problem. Try also not to go from 20 to 40 or more if you want to cheat. Up your carbs as little as possible as this sudden carb intake may cause you gain weight.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jun-14-05, 13:45
Grill Master Uburnum

Stats: 356/325/250 Male 6 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 29%
Thumbs up Get back on

Dust yourself off, and get back on that horse! Don't worry about it.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jun-15-05, 11:35

Plan: My Plan!
Stats: 241/189/145 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 54%

When the cheat food is done, I haul myself back on the wagon for the rest of the day. If I spent a whole day cheating, it would be much harder to be good the next day. It's like a cascade effect... I can't let myself fall into the trap of "rationalizing"... well, I already ate X, which was bad, so I might as well write off this whole day, and eat more carbage!
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jun-20-05, 14:57
Registered Member

Stats: 253/220/200 Female 5 10
BF:36%/30%/28%
Progress: 62%

Try not to fall off. Once you start cheating you will continue too. Also dont fall into the "dont think of this as a diet!" It IS a DIET! You will have to continue to eat this way forever to maintain but what everyone needs to understand is that when someone is trying something new and trying something to loose weight...it is a DIET...not a way of life. After getting to your goal then it becomes your WOL..until then...some of us need to feel as if we are on a diet in order to stay focused. None of us will go around eating only 25 carbs per day. So until you reach WOE...it is a diet!!! Sorry if I offend...I am only voicing my opinion.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jun-21-05, 10:53

Plan: ALKALINE!
Stats: 247/220/155 Female 64 inches
BF:20-22/20/10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikara2005
Try not to fall off. Once you start cheating you will continue too. Also dont fall into the "dont think of this as a diet!" It IS a DIET! You will have to continue to eat this way forever to maintain but what everyone needs to understand is that when someone is trying something new and trying something to loose weight...it is a DIET...not a way of life. After getting to your goal then it becomes your WOL..until then...some of us need to feel as if we are on a diet in order to stay focused. None of us will go around eating only 25 carbs per day. So until you reach WOE...it is a diet!!! Sorry if I offend...I am only voicing my opinion.

i perosnally am not offended, but i think the reason that so many of us think of it NOT as a diet is that diet = temporary. to maintain the health and PERMANENT weight loss that we all seek, you need to NOT think of it as temporary (aka a diet)

maybe you'd be better with the term "eating plan"? yes, you NEED to follow the rules (like a diet) but NO, it is NOT a temporary way to get to your goal. you must make permanent changes. permanent as in for LIFE, as in LIFEstyle - as in WOL (or WOE)

i think we are on the same page, just prefer different terms
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Jun-21-05, 13:34

Plan: LC/GF/IF
Stats: 237.0/223.6/174.6 Female 5 ft 10 in
BF:42%.
Progress: 21%

A "diet" is something we go on and then off. A WOL is our mindset and our decision about how we live our life. Whether we decide to eat 20 carbs or 100 carbs, it is our mindset.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Jun-22-05, 06:53
Registered Member

Default Hello Again

I guess we all do look at things differently. If I "cheat" and have a potato...to me its "cheating" because I am not at my goal. Once I reach my goal and have a potato I plan on eating a baked potato once a week....I am lucky enough to do that and not gain but as long as I am maintaining my weight.....I will be on my WOL and not "cheating." I am sorry but I can not agree that eating 20 carbs is a WOL. There are also people that dont believe ever eating a starch again...again that I dont agree with. Carbs are meant for healthy living...it just depends which ones you choose. I am a firm believer in the "good carb" statement with the SBD. I eat them...and still loose! I wish everyone the best success in their "diet", "WOL" or whatever you would like to call it I think we totally got off the idea of this thread...and I support everyone just the same. I guess that is why god made us all different...otherwise it would be a boring world LOL! Thank you to everyone for your comments (Harrysgirl..I couldnt agree more!)
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Jun-22-05, 07:43

Plan: ALKALINE!
Stats: 247/220/155 Female 64 inches
BF:20-22/20/10
Default the real Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikara2005
Once I reach my goal and have a potato I plan on eating a baked potato once a week

ah........ but here's the REAL question: with that occassional potato (which i might sneak in once i can raise my carbs as well!!) will you have low-fat yogurt, or REAL SOUR CREAM, BUTTER, BACON, AND CHEESEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!?????

lol
yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

(those poor low-fat dieters!! they don't know what they're missing!!!)
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Jun-22-05, 14:15
Registered Member

Of course I will keep my fat content!! LOL! Lots of full fat sour cream and butter!!! Salt and pepper anyone?!?! 20 pounds to goal...looking forward to that potato LOL! In life...if we cant enjoy the things we love once in awhile..then why live?