Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Sep-02-02, 13:47

Plan: Atkins
Stats: -/-/- Female -
BF:
Progress: 7%
Exclamation The Clothes Dilemma

I start a new job tomorrow and it requires wearing business to business casual kind of clothes. My old job was any nice pants (including jeans if they weren't double-stitched) and a nice blouse or sweater. I've gone through my clothes and I've got a few outfits that will work, and when it gets colder, some sweaters that will multiply that out a little.

Anyway, I'm going to need to buy some more business clothes sooner or later. I just don't want to buy clothes for me at the size I am. I don't think "professional" clothes, even the ones made for "large size women" look good on me---nothing ever seems to fit the shape of this body.

I don't know if I'm looking for advice, or what---but it is such a depressing proposition. I've gotten used to me in jeans and nice, big blouses or sweaters---but the professional look scares me just a little. Not to mention the wish to be smaller before I buy more clothes. But I also know that image is a lot--so I absolutely want to put forth the necessary professional look.

Any suggestions and constructive comments are welcome!!!
Thanks
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Sep-02-02, 16:59

Plan: Whole Foods Since 2/02
Stats: 360.5/174.5/200 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 116%
Lightbulb Ulla Popken has nice things

for large gals who want to look professional/casual. They are online at WWW.ULLAPOPKEN.COM

They have a clearance section and their clothes run large, so you can buy your normal size andit should actually fit. Only problem I had with them when I would order from them in the past is that all their tank style tops and dresses have armpits that go down to my knees.

I don't know if you care for dresses, but I think they automatically make one look more well-dressed and can be quite professional, such as a shirt style dress in linen or linen blend fabric is nice in warm weather. You can get what are called "travel knits" that look nice without wrinkling and are easy to care for.

Buy quality clothing at reasonable sale prices and you can sell them later when they are too big on eBay and make back all or close to what you paid for it new most likely. I see women paying top dollar for items on eBay and at consignment shops for good used large size clothing.

Shirt dresses, tank dresses with a duster and some nice accessories will polish you up nicely. A scarf or 2, earrings and a few fancy pairs of shoes and you're good to go!

The poly blend pantsuits can be nice and will fit you longer than natural fiber, due to forgiving stretchiness. Some chunky-heeled loafers, a flared-leg pant with a cute 3/4 sleeve jacket and you've got a new look that will carry you in the office or after work.

Wow, I sound like Vogue magazine! I hope these suggestions help but I'm not the one that has to wear your wardrobe. If it's just about the money, spend a little now, get it back on eBay later to buy more new SMALLER clothes.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Sep-02-02, 17:09

Stats: 240/234/150 Female Five Feet
BF:40%
Default Nice clothes

I buy my clothes at a retail shop at a place called Dressbarn. If you have one of these in your area, you might try looking there. Their clothes fit nice.

My delimna in clothes is that my old clothes don't fit, they are too big. But I don't want to buy new ones, because when I lose more, which I am sure I will, those will be too big. I think I am going to wait until my b-day and see what size I am.

Good luck on your job and finding the right outfits.
Belle
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Sep-02-02, 17:21

Stats: 203/138/130 Female 5'4 1/2
BF:
Progress: 89%

Hi fire, you may want concider going to Lady Bug, they have a large woman size in the store with alot to choose from.. And they are cheap.. I got some cloths there and they are suits and they are all under 50.00.. for the complete set....or

you can go to lane bryant on line or go to there store.. they are pricey though.. listen good luck with your job, I wish you much success..

Keep us up to date ...

regards
vivian
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Sep-03-02, 06:38

Plan: Atkins --> South Beach
Stats: 219/214.5/165 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Don't forget about consignment and resale shops … they're a great place to get clothes when you're between sizes, and you can bring them back for resale when you go down in size again! If you've never shopped in one, you might be pleasantly surprised.

You might not find your most favorite styles, but why not save your money for final purchases when you're down to goal weight?

good luck!

rhu
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Sep-03-02, 08:54

Stats: 203/138/130 Female 5'4 1/2
BF:
Progress: 89%

Quote:
Originally posted by rhubarb
Don't forget about consignment and resale shops … they're a great place to get clothes when you're between sizes, and you can bring them back for resale when you go down in size again! If you've never shopped in one, you might be pleasantly surprised.

You might not find your most favorite styles, but why not save your money for final purchases when you're down to goal weight?

good luck!

rhu

Okay Fire you have to tell me.. Do you have consignment shops in WY?? I am really curious about that, I am originally from up north and we have them all over the northeastern part of the country.. but do you have them??

Cause rhu is correct that is the nice way to shop, great cloths and GREAT prices..

GREAT SUGGESTION RHU.....

Good luck I really wish you happiness

regards

vivian
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Sep-03-02, 09:59
empress of fashion

Stats: 178/161.5/145 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 50%

We have in my area what's called Discovery Shops. They are second hand stores run completely by volunteers. All proceeds go to the American Cancer Society.

I would take a trusted/honest friend with you - someone who will tell you what looks good, what is flattering on you.

And my word of advice would be - don't pay any attention to the sizes. If you look good in a size 12 then wear that. Even if you want to be in a 10! Nobody knows (or cares) about those digits on the tag, what they will notice is how good you look! (and wearing proper fitting clothing will always be more flattering than squeezing into a smaller size)

Happy shopping!
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Sep-03-02, 12:39

Stats: 160/143/130 Female 5'6"
BF:32/*?!*!!/20
Progress: 57%

I'm buying things in second hand shops too, cos I don't want to spend loads on clothes that might still become too big. You have to search a bit, but I've just bought some really smart work clothes at our local shop.
Incidentally firespirit, I find looking good in business/smart clothes easier, cos they're made in more substantial fabric rather than from jersey and so on that clings too much to the lumps and bumps! and the shapes sort of skim the bad bits.
Good luck with your new job and all the best with finding clothes.
Jay
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Sep-06-02, 05:45

Stats: -/-/- Female -
BF:

Thanks for all of your input.

There isn't much in the way of second-hand clothing available here. There is Salvation Army, another thrift store, and one consignment shop I could find---but none of them have larger size clothes.

I asked a woman in Walmart if I could ask her where she shops (she was a little bigger than me, so I figured that would work). She told me of a couple stores in Ft Collins, Colorado (~45 min south), but they were both for buying brand new clothes.

I guess part of it is just mad at myself for having to buy clothes at this size, because I haven't been consistent about the WOE/WOL and haven't lost the weight I "should"

The new job is going well, alot to learn ; and I'm making due with what I've got--but I am definitely going to have to buy some clothes

Thanks
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Sep-06-02, 06:40

Plan: low carb
Stats: 212/188/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 39%
Default the clothes problem

To get the max out of a minimum amount of clothes, you might try getting a couple of pairs of black pants. Add a pair of nice looking black shoes that go well with the pants and any tops of your choice and you are good to go.
Just give me one pair of jeans, one pair of black pants, and one black skirt and I can go anywhere!
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Sep-06-02, 08:45
Registered Member

Stats: 141/135/120
BF:
Progress: 29%
Lightbulb Take a trip

I'd say take a trip to the closest (bigger) city and check at
smartpages.com (Yellow Pages online) for consignment or resale shops. I'm cheap and I refuse to buy clothes that I'm trying not to wear (i.e. bigger sizes)

Also take a good inventory of your closet and see what's MISSING. Like you've got five blue blouses and no blue pants, then one pair of pants can make a big difference.

Also - I'd know if you're inclined but if you sew or can borrow a machine. There's lots of really easy skirts that are elastic waistband that you could make for really cheap. You could probably make 2 or 3 in an afternoon.

Best of luck,
cc

P.S. If you've got an Avenue clothing store - I'll send you some coupons I got in their catalog but they have to be used in the store.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Sep-06-02, 10:31

Stats: 315/283/170 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 22%
Cool

firespirit,

My job also requires me to wear business to business/casual clothes. I am also an AVID QVC shopper

While I have been losing, my best bet has been getting my clothes from ebay.com. There are a few lines of clothes from QVC that are made very well and when purchased from ebay are even cheaper than the normally low prices I get from QVC. 99% of the clothes are brand new (tags still on them).

Denim & Co. - Excellent line of clothing - I wear their leggings to work. The leggings are technically NOT leggings because they are a looser fit. But, they are 96% cotton and 4% spandex. This REALLY helps when losing weight because you can drop a size and they still look good. Buying them new on QVC is around $24.00. On ebay, I have never paid over $18.00 new. Great colors, come in petite, regular, and Tall. They also have great jackets and tops.

Susan Graver - great line with peachskin fabric - also she has some with spandex for a little stretch. I buy many jackets/blazers from this line.

Indigo Moon - Beautiful jackets (patchwork designs).

What I have is about 10-12 pairs of D&C leggings (mostly dark colors), short sleeve tops or mock turtlenecks matching the pants, and then mix up my jackets (ok, I love my clothes).

I have dropped 3 sizes since the first of the year and, until I finish losing my weight I will purchase my clothes from ebay (and, most likely after I lose it all too!).

I am known as the Jacket Lady at work because my jackets are unusual and very pretty. A basic pair of pants, top, and a great jacket is all you need!
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Sep-08-02, 07:16

Stats: 050/029/000 Female 5ft, 8 1/2 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

I agree about the black slacks. I have two good pairs and I wear them with just about anything. I love to wear comfortable cotton knit shells in plain colors (I like White Stag from Walmart) and I wear scarves to change the look. Drape the scarves and secure with a pretty pin or use a long scarf and knot it with a square knot low--the length makes you look much slimmer than one so close to the neck. I buy scarves at AC Moore for $2 each and I have lots of them. I love them.

Another thing to consider is a loose fitting jacket or two. I like the unconstructed, more boxy type. They skim the hips and are also flattering. Keep the colors plain and again you can take that beautiful long scarf and hang it under the lapels. Put your pretty pin on a lapel and you look very chic.

You can easily have a wardrobe with only 2 pairs of black slacks, 3-4 plain colored cotton shells, 1-2 nice jackets and lots of scarves.

If you can't find scarves, buy silky fabric (1/8 yd) and hem it into a beautiful inexpensive scarf yourself.

Carol
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Sep-08-02, 18:45

Stats: 315/283/170 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 22%
Cool

I forgot about scarves! Even if you can't find clothes that fit at a resale or Salvation Army thrift shop, you could find blouses or dresses in pretty material very cheaply and cut the material into a scarf.