Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Gym Logs
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#106   ^
Old Sun, May-29-05, 07:28

Plan: LC
Stats: 176/150/145 Female 5 feet 6
BF:
Progress: 84%

progress check
72 kg (158.5lbs)

I am loving Slow Burn eating, but as I mentioned in an earlier post I have not completely given up artificial sweeteners or cheese. So I will see if I can do it for the upcoming week, I think I can, if I promise myself that I will be allowed to ease up after a week if it's too restrictive. I bought a big block of feta cheese tonight(feta is ok), and a whole lot of veggio juice(kind of a Japanese version of v8).

I really feel in control of my appetite, I have steady energy and am getting by quite happily on about 7 hours(sometimes less) a night.

I ate some fruit this week-end and was really bloated. I think I can honestly say my body is happy without fruit.
Sponsored Links
  #107   ^
Old Fri, Jun-03-05, 04:13

BF:

I have been thinking about things and I have reached the conclusion that carrying an extra 20-30lbs is really holding me back in the running department. It is essential I drop this weight. I am tired of hauling it around, tired indeed. I am a long distance runner in my heart and honestly how many overweight endurance runners have you met? These 30 pounds are standing in my way.
  #108   ^
Old Mon, Jun-06-05, 14:43

BF:

Monday
2km MEP run
17 minutes
sore back, sore feet, cramp......bad attitude

Tuesday
40 minute MAP walk
really sore feet

strength training
We went to the city gym(really cheap, really old!) and they've got a few new weight machines. It was crowded, but we got in a good workout! I forgot to do abs!!!

Last edited by goldfish : Tue, Jun-07-05 at 14:55.
  #109   ^
Old Sat, Jun-11-05, 17:32

BF:

This log is getting dusty!! I've been continuing my running and strength training. Here's what's new:

The weather has heated up! This morning it was already 23C (about 76F) and the humidity was 88% when I went running. I am switching from evening runs to morning runs. Today I went at 7am which was very nice. During the week I'll have to be up and out the door by 5 to cover 5km, shower, make lunch etc. I am switching mainly because I have really been enjoying going to the gym and weight lifting with my husband in the evenings. Now if only we could get him running.........He was a runner when I met him, so who knows?!

I had a bad week of running this past week. I was achy, grouchy, and really really tired. I had PMS, but didn't make the connection!! DUH! All is well once again!

I am taking a liquid mineral supplement along with my green drinks, mostly because of the terrible heat and high humidity that comes in June here. Awful!! It saps my energy, but I'm hoping morning runs, minerals, greens, and a good eating and training plan will carry me through.

I have found a half marathon at the end of October that I will train for. If I train consistently and well and I still can't get my time under 3 hours then I might reconsider, but I honestly believe I can speed up!! The 20+ pounds I'm carrying is slowing me down!! I'm working on that first!

Last edited by goldfish : Sun, Jun-12-05 at 00:41.
  #110   ^
Old Mon, Jun-13-05, 15:19

BF:

5km MEP run
41minutes 25 seconds!!
wooohooo!! That's my fastest ever(that's not a race)! I was at my spot at 5:05am this morning and was surprised to see a few other folks out for a walk or out with their dogs.

I think morning runs will be fine, I may even be able to squeeze in 7-8km since I'm starting to speed up!

Also an interesting note. I usually try to stay exactly at my mid-point when I run in my MEP zone, that's a heartrate of 144, today I pushed it so my average was 148 and I felt good, still do, and it's still in my MEP zone. I need to re-read Mittleman's info on HR zones. Could I have set my zones too low?? I'll check!
Off to work now, but tonight my husband and I will head to the gym for weightlifting.

evening update
I can now do the complete Pilates basic mat series that is on the dvd I bought!! I do it at the gym or at home when I can't make it to the gym. I will give the intermediate series a try, but there are a lot more exercises so I think it will take a while to memorize the sequence and to get enough strength to do all of them.

Strength trained tonight. I'm really enjoying it!! For the first time ever I did 2 sets of 20 reps 5kg on the bench press machine. I have never done 20 reps before! I always crash at 12, well tonight I did 2 sets of 20! I really am seeing some improvement!

My hubby noticed it too today. He said the small changes in my eating must be helping.

Last edited by goldfish : Tue, Jun-14-05 at 06:21.
  #111   ^
Old Wed, Jun-15-05, 15:15

BF:

I couldn't get up this morning in time to run. This could be a problem. I can't run tonight because I work. I honestly wish I worked less.....work is cutting into my real lifel! I must find a balance, feel kind of bummed out that I won't get a run in today. Well never say never!! I will try my intermediate Pilates routine for the first time tonight. Will update later.
  #112   ^
Old Thu, Jun-16-05, 13:46
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185/180/115 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 7%

Hello! Just wanted to check in and see how your Mittleman's nutrition plan is working for you. I still haven't decided to go forward with it entirely but am debating. It's almost as if I know too much info and can't seem to narrow down which path I want to move forward on!

Keep me posted!

Jenn
  #113   ^
Old Thu, Jun-16-05, 14:55

BF:

I tried the intermediate Pilates routine last night. It was pretty tough! I need to memorize it and how to do the exercises properly!! I certainly don't look graceful like the girl in the dvd!
  #114   ^
Old Thu, Jun-16-05, 15:00

BF:

Hi jdouglass,

Nice of you to drop by! How's the training going? I'm not doing Mittleman's plan perfectly!! I am working towards doing it 85% of the time, but I am doing it now about 65% of the time.

I have noticed I've sped up slightly, but maybe that's Mittleman's training plan?? Maybe it's his Slow Burn eating?
How's it going for you?
  #115   ^
Old Mon, Jun-20-05, 10:48

Plan: Yudkin
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 000
BF:
Progress: 100%

Good evening Sandy,

how was your weekend? Sorry for not answering earlier, I had a wonderful trip to Chicago, visiting my daughter. (When I am not a running Galadriell, I am - among many other things - a mother of a gorgeous bride. This was my first meeting with the in-laws...)

Let see your question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldfish

I have a question for you if you don't mind. I have found a half marathon at the end of October that I want to train for. I'm a really slow runner, but I always train using Mittleman's heart rate zones. At my present speed it would take me 3 hours to finish a half. I figure in 5 months of slow burn eating/training I'll lose 20-30 pounds and surely that will help me speed up. But my question is, do you think I can speed up enough in 5 months to finish before they close up the course?

Let me assure you: I have never ever seen any half marathon closing the course under 3:00. It would close out many beginners, elderly, walkers, etc - almost HALF of the marathon pariticipants. Of course I only have experiences with US half marathons, but I do not see any reason why Japanese races would be much more restrictive.

5 months - VERY LONG time. My first half marathon was 8 months after I started my running program (and Ihad much slower start than you had), still I could finish it in 2:13. If you finish it in 2:45, or 3:00 - still excellent time. (Remember Penguin's marathon strategy - easy to adopt for half marathon too: finishing in the same day as you started. ) NO any serious runners book recommend ANY time goal for the first half marathon/marathon. ENJOY IT - that is the only goal.

In an earlier post you mentioned your plan mixing Galloway with Mittleman (excellent choice). Do you have Galloway's first book, the "Book of Running" ? It is the BEST half marathon guide of all time for runners on ALL level. Pick for example the half marathon training program : "to finish" or the "2:45 goal". With 3-4 x 30 min or 5 k walk/run on weekdays and one long run on weekends you can succeed easily. (If you do not have the book I can copy you the charts.)

Two important things: be VERY EASY with speed, and with increasing the distance of the long runs. There is NO race/time worths to get injured during the training.

Cheers: Eva

Last edited by Galadriell : Mon, Jun-20-05 at 16:55.
  #116   ^
Old Wed, Jun-22-05, 11:22

Plan: Yudkin
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 000
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldfish
Have you visited Galloway's website Jeff Galloway that's where I got his half marathon training plan.

Oh Sandy,
thanks for the reminder. Yes, I have visited Galloway's website - but long times ago. I thought that reading his books, and following his articles in Runners World is enough to be updated.
Now, that you mentioned it, I revisited, and found out about two new Galloway books. So I am out to get them...

Cheers:
Eva
  #117   ^
Old Fri, Jun-24-05, 15:48

BF:

This Week

Monday
46 minute MEP run
I got off work early so went down to the beach for a run.
Intermediate Pilates routine
I'm finding it quite challenging, but really fun. Still no sign of a six pack though!

Tuesday
Strength training at the gym.

Thursday
Strength training at the gym. I was a little tired, so I only did one set of all my exercises to failure.

Friday
MEP run
1hour 2 minutes avg HR 153
I got off work early again, so headed down to the beach.

Progress Notes

I am now almost certain that my MEP zone was set too low!! According to Mittleman's formula in the book it's correct, but using auditory and sensory cues he talks about they were too low. Could this be part of the reason I haven't been speeding up?? Not sure, the extra weight must be part of the problem too, but it's possible.
I have been running listening carefully to my breathing, watching visual cues and I can increase my heartbeat a few beats over my previously set maximum MEP. For example, my MEP(according to the book's formula) is 139-149, but I have been running around 150-153 and the breathing, and visual cues are fine!!

Have had a really good week following Mittleman's Slow Burn Eating. I'm not going to weigh for awhile though.
  #118   ^
Old Sat, Jun-25-05, 06:02

BF:

Great Buddha Hiking Course
I met my friend at 8:30am to do this easy 1.6km hike. We did it both ways, for a grand total of 3.2km . Not crowded at all! It was already 30C(86F)at 8:30!! HOT!
1 hour 20 mins
average HR 137

My husband and I just came back from the gym.
I had a breakthrough on the bench press machine 3 sets of 20
at 5kg. I realize how little this is, but I have never before done 3 sets of 20, so I'm thrilled!!

Oh and the best news of all...... I weighed myself and I'm
71kg or 156.2lbs
I'm doing the happy dance!!!

Last edited by goldfish : Sat, Jun-25-05 at 06:11.
  #119   ^
Old Mon, Jun-27-05, 15:10

BF:

25 minute Tempo Run
average HR 168
I did a 15 minute easy MEP run as a warm up and then pumped up the pace for 3km. It took me 24minutes 25 seconds to run 3km.
The temperature was 29C(84F) at 5AM!! The humidity is high
too.
evening update
pilates intermediate routine
I really focused on my form. I find it incredibly challenging. I'm trying to memorize the routine so that I can do it everyday on my trip.

What's New
I lost my running partner. We didn't actually train together, but we had entered a couple of races together. I love the races, so I guess I'll keep on doing them on my own.

It's so hot now, usually around 35C in the afternoon that I've lost my appetite. It's fairly easy to follow a strict Slow Burn eating plan.

Last edited by goldfish : Tue, Jun-28-05 at 15:09.
  #120   ^
Old Thu, Jun-30-05, 14:58

BF:

strength training/Pilates

My husband and I went to the gym.
I did my weight routine and Pilates. I couldn't remember the whole intermediate routine, so I did what I could remember.

progress check
71kg and holding, but feeling thin!!
I am now slightly pre-menstrual so no more weigh ins til the morning I leave for Canada. Want to see 69kg. Go Go Go!!