Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Aug-29-02, 13:07
Registered Member

Plan: CKD
Stats: 183/179/135
BF:43.13/36.09/25
Progress: 8%
Question Pure De-lite chocolate bars

I found these at wal-mart today. I hope they are ok because they are WONDERFUL!!! I got the dark chocolate one and here is the info.
Cal: 173
FAT: 13.6
Carb:1.1
Fiber:3.8
Sugar:0
Protein:2
Ingredients: Cocoa Mass, Cocoa Butter, Soy Lecithin, Nat. Vanilla,

Hope they are ok because this will work for my TOM chocolate needs!!!!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Sep-04-02, 01:21
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

Please do read the other posts about 'sugarfree chocolate' right here on this webpage...

There are several brands: Carbolite, Pure De-Lite, Ross, Russell Stover, etc.

They're a nice, very occasional treat because no matter what else, they are still candy.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Sep-05-02, 07:48
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 272/241/150
BF:
Progress: 25%
Default Be careful with the Malitol

I too had major chocolate cravings during my TOM, and I discovered these candybars at Walmart. But beware. They are made in canada, so they don't have to follow the same labeling rules. They exclude the maltitol from the carb count. If you look at the total calories, it doesn't add up, thats because there are about 40 calories from the maltitol. Also if you eat too much, it will have a laxative affect - if I eat more than one bar, I'm in trouble!.

Also, these bar reinforce chocolate cravings. I couldn't stop! I was always thinking about when I could go grab my next chocolate fix - and it really preyed on me when I started to get depressed. I finally realized after a few days that I was feeling yucky just like when I ate a lot of carbs - sluggish, restless, jonesing for chocolate. I am now also suffering a weightloss stall.

I would like to think that, in the future, IF I can force myself to nibble on just ONE bar during my TOM, that I might be ok. - but it was so hard to take back control. After much struggle, I've finally been maltitol free for about a week - feeling better, but wondering when my stall will end.

Just my 2 cents. some people are affected by maltitol, some aren't. Just try to listen closely to your body whenever you indulge in these chocolate treats.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Sep-05-02, 18:25
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

Actually, being made in Canada has nothing to do with the maltitol being excluded from the Total Carb Count. As a matter of fact, Canada's laws define maltitol and other sugar alcohols and polyols as carbs, too.

Atkins' bars and many others are marketed for US sales, regulated by the FDA, and they too (until VERY recently when the FDA brought the hammer down) took "liberties" with the Nutrition Facts label and left off 'non-impact' carbs. A no-no per the FDA, not their decision! Read some of the posts about Labels or Hidden Carbs... you'll see.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Sep-08-02, 09:01
Registered Member

Plan: CKD
Stats: 183/179/135
BF:43.13/36.09/25
Progress: 8%

Thanks for the advice. I will stay away from them. Maybe only use them in emergency....1 bar during TOM....and no other time at all. I am also doing BFL and could use that on my free day rather than a hershey bar loaded withstraight sugar.
I would obsess about them too so I am going to keep them out of my house. Out of sight out of mind...I hope!!