Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Sep-02-02, 22:12

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 305.0/234.0/160 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 49%
Talking I Just passed a big test

First of all I should say that I was on the Atkins plan with my husband and every time he has cheated in the past I would cheat right along with him then that would throw me off the plan completly. Well he cheated this past weekend ( ALL WEEKEND) and I proudly stuck with it no cheats at all.

My in laws just visited from out of town I have been waiting to eat all day till they got here and guess what they wanted PIZZA yup thats right I was starving and all that I could have was toppings of the pizza while everyone else got nice and full on the rest.
I was still hungry so I asked my husband to go to the store and get me a salad so he came back with my salad and they had ice cream cones and sundaes and brought chocolate chip cookies and macadamian nut cookies & blueberry muffins normally I would give in at this point. bit I didn't, I ate my salad and enjoyed it while everyone else (including my husband) totally indulged themselves with their sugar filled sweets. The best part of this is it didn't bother me at all, not once. and now I feel great because I didn't give in I have so much will power it is amazing.

I just thought I'd share that
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Sep-02-02, 22:27

Stats: 244/218/144
BF:48/42.3/22
Progress: 26%

Good for you...I would never allow that kind of food to be eaten in front of me...I don't care if they bring it in my house, as we have a cupboard that I just do not go into...It holds all the goodies for Dh and kids...but they don't eat it in front of me...(Of course that could possibly be because they don't want to listen to me preach about how harmful all that garbage is...lol) I think that just shows your determination...if you want it bad enough...it is not hard to achieve.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Sep-03-02, 00:56

Stats: 235/225/130
BF:
Progress: 10%

GOOD FOR YOU VIKKI! Inlaws are the best test! You did great!
Take care of YOU!......BRAVO!.... I've been there. You should be very proud of yourself......AttaGirl!
Attached Images
File Type: gif frog8.gif (5.2 KB, 145 views)
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Sep-03-02, 01:12

Plan: atkins
Stats: 267/264/185 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 4%
Default WAY TO GO!!!

WOW, way to be strong!!!!!! I have been struggling with temptation here lately and your story was what I needed right now. Thanks Zoomy
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Sep-03-02, 07:39
Registered Member

Stats: 141/135/120
BF:
Progress: 29%
Wink Good for you!

The ultimate test of determination... inlaws.
Just remember that every time he cheats and you don't you'll start to get this little raise of the eyebrow and little tug at the corner of your mouth - I wouldn't call it gloating, but that little feeling of "I'm stronger than you are" (all sing songy) starts to play in your head.

I'll admit I had a calculated bad eating weekend... But it was BF's birthday and I made a special trip and made Atkins brownies and sugar free (lowest carbs I could find) ice cream. Yup - I indulged, but I caught him last night on his second bowl of full carb ice cream late last night.

nanny nanny boo boo!
Plus I finally got my avatar up! triumph from laziness!
Happy Monday.

cc
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Sep-03-02, 08:05

BF:

CC lol you are too funny

Thanks guys I think that being a member of this board helps me make it through the tough times

You are all awesome
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Sep-03-02, 08:37

Plan: Atkins / Curves
Stats: 182.0/182.0/150 Female 5'6"
BF:27.2
Progress: 0%

Vikki

Way to go on the willpower - it appears that you can only rely on yourself, as nobody else at home seems to be supporting you. Stick to it, i know you can.

Vikki
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Sep-03-02, 10:43
Registered Member

Stats: 196/179/150
BF:Ugh!
Progress: 37%

Vikki...nice going! I think we've all been there, but WOW...the feeling of victory!! I recently went to Hometown Buffet with my "eating pal" and actually watched her consume the dessert section, while I went back for more roast beef. (Don't ask me how, but damn, it felt good later!)

Around here, when a bunch of the family starts slicing up some cheap cake from Sam's club - and they start asking who wants ice cream on their slice -- I just cop a silent attitude and start shaking my head slowly at them...like I feel so sorry for them that they allow themselves to eat that crap. Especially my 82 year old grandmother who gave me my sweet tooth in the first place...but believe me, it doesn't phase her in the least! The attitude helps ME, and whatever it takes to get through another day without choosing the road to failure...I say AMEN!!

Stay the course sister!!

#9   ^
Old Tue, Sep-03-02, 16:37

Stats: 203/138/130 Female 5'4 1/2
BF:
Progress: 89%

vikki, I am soooooooooo proud of you!!!!!!!!!!!! I have such a big smile on my face , you should go out and do something for the one time in your life not giving in.... I am just giving back some advice you gave to me, not to long ago...

Better yet go and have those chicken wings you love so much with a light beer.. tee hee, I remember that is your favorite..

You just keep on remembering if you can do it this time you can ALWAYS DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!

CONGRADS TO YOU

regards
Vivian
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Sep-03-02, 18:06

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Congratulations on sticking with it, Vikki! You should be very proud of yourself. At this point, it doesn't even bother me to see others eating all that high carb stuff. Of course, I've develped the mindset that I CAN eat anything I want to. I'm choosing not to because I know how horrible I will feel if I do.
If you tell yourself "I can't have that" it makes you feel a whole lot more deprived than telling yourself "I could have that if I want to, but why would I want to make myself feel sick?"
You done good, kiddo!
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Sep-03-02, 18:20
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: ???/???/???
BF:
Progress: 0%
Thumbs up WTG!!!

Great job and yes...the inlaws are the test.
When I was on atkins 2 years ago, my motherinlaw acted like she suddenly thought the house was starving and sent sweet goods over often.....yet never done it before.

I know how tempting gatherings can be, so great job!
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Sep-03-02, 21:54

BF:

Thank you Vivian, Lisa, honey, Mariana, Vikki ( I like your name ) and everyone else. It does feel great to be able to have this kind of will power, the reward is wonderful because I know now that I am going to be skinny because I am going to stick to it!!! and exersize a lot too I am going to post this thread into my journal so I can keep a reminder to myself that I can do this.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Sep-04-02, 02:48

Stats: 473/332/190 Male 75.6
BF:
Progress: 50%
Talking

Damn! that is an achievement!

I would not have that kind of willpower!

Geese were they on one big weekend binge or what!

wtg!

Dave
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Sep-04-02, 11:04

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 265/258/129
BF:48/48/20
Progress: 5%
Thumbs up

Way to go!

Isn't it nice to be in control of your food rather than your food being in control of you?

You're doing great!
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Sep-08-02, 07:37
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%

Good for you. That takes amazing willpower. Unfortunately, it can wear ya down after awhile. It just doesn't seem fair for you. What about all of you deciding to go out to eat somewhere so that you might have some options? I think that would be the considerate thing to do. Or else make them pay for an entire pizza just for you so that you can eat the toppings and throw away the crust. The scenario you describe sounds like some of my recent nightmares.

Personally, my home is my domain. Since I do the shopping, junk food doesn't come in. I will prepare healthy meals (and serve side dishes of off-limit carbs for my company). But junk doesn't come in. Most of the time they don't even realize that they are eating low carb because the food I serve is so decadent. I buy nuts for snack foods or make veggies and dip. Home is the only place I have control over food.

My DH's sister died at 50 from a massive heart attack and his family is rampant with diabetes. Ironically, DH and his 2 sisters are doctors, who have been continually misled by the pharmaceuticals. I finally laid out my position. If he wants to kill himself with junk food, by all means go ahead. However, I won't be part of it. Being such a "guilt-ridden" person, I'd be kicking myself with guilt if he died from a diet-related disease and I had been feeding it to him. I guess that's tough love, but I gotta do what I gotta do.

The sad part about low-carbing is that most of society assumes that it is just a weight loss plan, not a way to maintain health, so it often gets discounted as a WOL. I don't need to lose weight, but I eat this way to avoid serious health problems. So this is what I harp onto my family about, keeping healthy. It wasn't so unnatural to serve low-fat items to company because it was considered "healthy". So I serve "low carb" to company because we KNOW it is healthier.

Since I don't have an abundance of willpower at times, if my company insists on junk, then I ask them to store it where I can't see it and to also not offer it to me. I use the "alcoholic" analogy. You wouldn't offer a drink to an alcoholic.

Wanda