Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Thyroid Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Aug-12-02, 08:46
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 220/168/140 Female 5 ft 3 in
BF:
Progress: 65%
Default hypothyroid and protein powders

It seems that I have read that soy is not good for people who are hypo. Yet, all the protein powders I have seen are soy based. Is this not enough soy to bother us, or is there a protein powder that is other than soy based? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Aug-12-02, 09:42
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%
Smile

hi dleatx,

First, you should be able to find 100% isolated whey protein shake powders (low-carb) at any health food or sports nutrition store. Personally, I find the whey is more palatable and better texture than soy, but I know that some athletes and bodybuilders prefer soy, as it's thought to have a higher protein value.

The goitrogenic (anti-thyroid) potential of soy and other foods such as raw broccoli, kale and brussels sprouts .. is just that .. potential. It has not been proven in double-blind placebo controlled studies. Nonetheless, I've cut my consumption of soy foods way back to just having some tofu now and then, a little tamari soy sauce here and there, and I make sure my broccoli is cooked or lightly steamed and chilled instead of raw.

Moderation is key.

Doreen
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Aug-12-02, 12:26
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 220/168/140 Female 5 ft 3 in
BF:
Progress: 65%

Thank you. I will go to another health food store and perhaps they will have it.

I am not having trouble with the lc part except that all the lc foods are so heavy - I wish for something refreshing. I eat a couple of green grapes after dinner to clear the palate of the heavy feeling. At lunch I'll eat the two token leaves of lettuce and slices of tomato from a sandwich (w/o the bread).

I wonder if sugar free jelly bellies are ok? They have a wonderful burst of flavor - I especially like the pear.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Sep-01-02, 11:22

Plan: Atkins for now.
Stats: 135/?/115? Female Short. 5"3
BF:Don't wanna know.
Progress: 15%
Question

I've been drinking Whey Protein shakes that I get from GNC. Preatty good deal, You can get 2 32oz containers (2lbs) for $50. I drink 2 a day and it lasts a month. And it has 220 calories, 4.5g of fat, 40g of protein, and 5g of sodium

But before I was just drinking the regular whey protein shakes but they said since I work out, I should get Mega Whey which has:

- 40g of "high quality whey protein"
- 5g of free-form glutamine and
- 3g BCAA

I was wondering if anyone knew anything about those ingredients? Are they OK for hypos?
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Sep-16-02, 15:44

Plan: Fruit/Veg not Carb
Stats: 225/218/155
BF:
Progress: 10%
Exclamation Protein powders

Hello...you might try Whey powder which is available at some natural food centers in bulk (best price). I'm hypothyroid and became concerned when I found out that almost all the protein in smoothies and at juice bars is soy. Goodluck... jus, Rese