Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Aug-30-02, 08:13
Registered Member

Plan: Adaptive
Stats: 220/220/155
BF:N/A
Progress: 0%
Default I'm a freak!!!

I so lost it yesterday!!! I cheated on my lunch (with the boss) and then got into a fight with my wife to be....(or not to be...)
I tried comfort food... chocolate icecream, but it didn't comfort me alot, So I responded like a typical male... I went to the bar! After about 6-8beers and a few shots... I was hammered, and went home.
I got up this am... hung over... and stood on the scale... I am down 2 lbs from yesterday! I am not complaining, I am already noticed that I did not regain weight after I quite my LC diet last time, but I restarted on Monday, and lost 5lbs by Wednesday, and on Friday (after falling completely off the wagon) I am down a total of 7lbs from Monday... What is up?Any Ideas?
~Fooz
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Aug-30-02, 08:55

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

Well, I won't argue with your self-assessment.

Then about the weight loss: losing a pound or two ususally depends on how you ate for the previous couple of days, not on the last 12 hours. So the results of the binge (both of them) should show up in a day or two. Then again, men tend to lose while eating in a way that would make most women gain.

It is interesting that you noted that the ice cream DIDN'T comfort you the way it used to. Welcome to LCing. Now if you could only see that the alcohol also did not do the job you wanted - make you feel better, fix the fight with the girlfriend, or comfort the guilt you felt for going off your way of eating while out with the boss.

So next time the boss (or anyone else) eats with you, just order "normal stuff" but tell them to hold the potatoes & keep your paws off the bread basket.

As far as I can see, you are not a freak in the weight loss department. Just a very lucky man.

#3   ^
Old Fri, Aug-30-02, 09:02

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%
Default Re: I'm a freak!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Fooz_u
After about 6-8beers and a few shots... I was hammered, and went home.

Honestly?

The alcohol dehydrates you. So that two pound loss will probably be recovered by your system due to it flushing out the water along with the alcohol. Don't be too disappointed when it happens.

Your body will burn alcohol over ketones any day. So any fat burning you were in, was put on hold until the body uses the alcohol up. This is why it isn't exactly the best thing in the world to drink while on a low carb diet.

Live and learn. Hope you feel better soon and make up with your wife to be.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Aug-30-02, 10:06

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 468/371/275 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 50%
Post Dehydrated...

Long before LCing, I recall that when I drank 6 or 8 beers I would wake up feeling "slimmer"...

...but it doesn't last and it has nothing to do with losing fat or anything like that. You're simply dehydrated. As soon as you eat and drink it'll be back.

Hope things get worked out for you.

Donald
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Aug-31-02, 10:04

Plan: Atkins/Stnry Bike/Physio
Stats: 225/210/155 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%

Quote:
What is up?Any Ideas?

Besides the excellent answers you've already gotten here, I'd like to offer you two more.

You have youth on your side as well as gender.

However, I'd like to caution you. The way that you treated your body this week is the kind of behavior that can get you into real trouble with your weight, in the long run. One of the main advantages of doing LCing is to avoid spiking your insulin. It's the spiking that is so hard on our metabolisms.

Looks to me like it would be a real benefit to you to learn a new way to deal with emotions, rather than eating and drinking.

Marlaine
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Sep-06-02, 15:26
Registered Member

Default Thanks for the advice and support...

As predicted by both myself and others... the loss was water weight and was regained over the weekend. I have 'made-up' with the wife (to-be). It is the diet I still need to get back on.
~Fooz
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Sep-06-02, 22:36

Plan: Atkins for now.
Stats: 135/?/115? Female Short. 5"3
BF:Don't wanna know.
Progress: 15%

LOL!!

That happened to me too last weekend. I got wasted 2 days in a row and lost 5 lbs.. If I didn't have a 3 day hangover I would've done it again just too lose more weight.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Sep-06-02, 22:37

Plan: Atkins for now.
Stats: 135/?/115? Female Short. 5"3
BF:Don't wanna know.
Progress: 15%
Default Re: Thanks for the advice and support...

Quote:
As predicted by both myself and others... the loss was water weight and was regained over the weekend. It is the diet I still need to get back on.

Same here
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Sep-09-02, 18:54
Registered Member

Default But when to start...

I am looking at restarting my locarb cycle again... but so far... I just seem to put it off... I am maintaining my weight at 210, as I always maintain on a 'normal' diet... but I wanbt to lose more, I am just hesitant to start. I always miss the beer so much.