Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Apr-16-05, 17:11
Registered Member

Plan: e-diets Atkins
Stats: 289/273/200 Male 6' 5"
BF:
Progress: 18%
Default What the hell is wrong with you?????

CAUTION THIS IS A LONG RANT!

Since I have started this thing yesterday (thing refers to Atkins btw) I have been reading pages upon pages of information and viewing this site and that site and something disturbing to me has come to light. “Parents putting their kids on diets”. I was a fat kid too and there are a lot of fat kids in the world but most will grow out of it. Now there are circumstances where yes a child needs to go on a diet such as health risks or a chemical type of thing, but there is nothing wrong with your kid being a chubby little guy or plumb little girl! Pinch their cute chubby checks give them a kiss and let them know they are loved and ok whether they are fat or skinny, tall or short, first in the class or the last.

The world is pretty jacked today and the last thing your kid needs is a self esteem problem from their parent that has them on a diet because he or she isn’t socially acceptable. To steal from my friends accrossed the pound THAT IS JUST RUBISH!

You know the reason there is an increase in child obesity? Well let me tell you what I think:

Technology:
You want your kid to trim down be happy and healthy? Get them off the computer and from in front of the Xbox and get them out playing. Running around in the woods, Playing football or hop-scotch in the middle of the street, hide and go seek, the real life sport or activities they are playing on the Xbox or computer. This keeps them in shape builds there imagination and teaches them how to work as a team.

Laws:
Skateboarding, Rollerblading, and just being a troublemaker. These are activities that some of us did as kids but now the law has made it impossible for kids to get out and do things. You can’t skate her or ride your board there, climbing through an abandoned house out in a backfield somewhere gets your parents sued and you get a record. Sneaking out was one of the best aerobic exercises I did as a kid. We didn’t do anything to bad but running everywhere getting the heart rate up and being very alert to your surroundings isn’t that bad then you come home usually safe and sound and get some sleep. Now the penalties is to too severe.

Fat Lazy Parents (me included):
So we are overweight and low on energy so we don’t want to run our kid to extracurricular activities or go outside and teach little Johnny how to play baseball or go to the park and play volleyball. We get fat and lazy and they don’t learn good habits and end up the same way.

I am not a doctor or Lawyer and only a part time parent so should I really be dispensing this information and advice? Yes, because the people in charge who should tell you this stuff are obviously a bunch of dope smoking retards….. just my .02 Have a Lovely Day
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Apr-16-05, 17:28

Plan: 000
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 0%

You know what? I agree with you....

Seems that there is a huge difference from when I was a kid, and the kids I see now, who seem to be more sedentary with their video games and more inclined to eat the crap that cafeterias sell them these days.

Obesity is a huge epidemic. We're eating ourselves to death but name a big corporation in the food or entertainment industry that gives two hoots right?

#3   ^
Old Sat, Apr-16-05, 17:38
Registered Member

BF:

WHEWWWW. Right on I am glad someone agrees I was scared that I would just get flamed when I posted it Thanks for the reply
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Apr-16-05, 17:49
LC Bridezilla

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 122/99/105 Female 62 inches
BF:Who/Cares
Progress: 135%

You're not the only one who feels this way. When my girls were little, I MADE them go outside to play. They were only allowed TV and video games after dinner and on rainy days. Snow days they were made to go out and play too (and I went out there with them!).

It's so sad to see how empty the streets are with very few kids out. Yet the food court in the mall is PACKED with kids stuffing their faces with bad food when they should be eating at home.

I blame the parents for this. And don't give me any crap about predators being outside to get your kids because you should be out there with them enjoying the weather too!

Whew...now I feel better. Thanks for starting such an interesting thread. Now let's see someone take some responsibility.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Apr-16-05, 17:55

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
You want your kid to trim down be happy and healthy? Get them off the computer and from in front of the Xbox and get them out playing. Running around in the woods, Playing football or hop-scotch in the middle of the street, hide and go seek, the real life sport or activities they are playing on the Xbox or computer. This keeps them in shape builds there imagination and teaches them how to work as a team.

In an ideal (and safer) world, this would be right on the money. However, at least where I live, 4 young girls have been abducted, sexually assaulted and murdered within the past year...all within a 5 mile radius of where I live (moving is not an option at the moment, nor is my neighborhood considered particularly 'unsafe'). If anyone thinks I'm going to let my 9 and 10 year old daughters run the neighborhood unsupervised, they're smokin' something illegal. As for playing in the street, my kids get grounded for that sort of thing. Cars pay no attention to speed limits in my neighborhood and there are far safer place to play than the street (like...ummm...the back yard or the sidewalk?).
That's not to say that they don't get their share of exercise, but it certainly needs to be in a more supervised form than it was when (and where) you grew up apparently.

As for parents putting their kids on diets, these days they often don't have to. Girls as young as 8 have reported 'dieting' on their own in surveys over the past several years. Children are far more aware of body size these days and at a younger age than most people give them credit for and there certainly is no lack of information on TV and in the media about weight loss.
I'll give you an example from my own experience. When my oldest daughter was in 1st grade, she was a little chubby; enough so that the kids at school began to tease her about being 'fat'. Her pediatrician wasn't too concerned (my daughter brought up the topic during her physical) and was more or less of the opinion, "just hold her weight where it is for a while and let her height catch up". About that same time, she was diagnosed with ADD and started taking medication for it. Now, one of the side effects of this medication is loss of appetite for a few weeks until the body adjusts to it. She took advantage of that and, unknown to me until a few months later, quit eating her lunch at school for several weeks. It was only after we brought her in for a height/weight check (standard procedure for this medication) after a few months that we realized that she had dropped 15 pounds and her pediatrician freaked out. I knew she had gotten thinner and we had expected some weight loss, but not that amount. When I asked her what on earth had given her the idea to quit eating lunch, she told me one of her classmates had suggested it. I didn't put her on a diet. In fact, I was doing everything I could to encourage her to eat. She found a way to do what she wanted anyway. It took some work, but she is now back to eating normally and maintaining a healthy weight, but it just goes to show you that it's not always the parents 'putting kids on diets'.
OTOH, there's nothing wrong with limiting the junk food that kids eat. As a parent, I want my kids to be as healthy as they can be and that takes healthy food, not junk. After all...you are what you eat.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Apr-16-05, 17:56

Plan: none
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'1
BF:
Progress: 22%
Smile

Hi there! I can say I don't agree with you 100% Primate. I WISH someone would have helped me with my diet when I was younger. Maybe the torture of middle school and high school wouldn't have been so bad. Maybe I wouldn't have cried my eyes out and wanted to quit school because people were constatly calling me fat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primate
CAUTION THIS IS A LONG RANT!

I was a fat kid too and there are a lot of fat kids in the world but most will grow out of it.

Oh, how I wish!! I was a chubby thing all my life, and chubby grew into FAT!

Quote:
The world is pretty jacked today and the last thing your kid needs is a self esteem problem from their parent that has them on a diet because he or she isn’t socially acceptable. To steal from my friends accrossed the pound THAT IS JUST RUBISH!

I think the self esteem issue comes from people making fun of overweight children. At least for me it did. The children aren't going to get any better unless the parents step in. I think its a good idea for parents to step in. Now I'm not talking about putting heavy kids on Atkin's or strict diets. I'm talking about teaching them good eating habits. For instance: instead of sugar laiden cereal, give them some fresh fruit for breakfast.

Quote:
You know the reason there is an increase in child obesity? Well let me tell you what I think:

Technology:

Laws:
Skateboarding, Rollerblading, and just being a troublemaker. These are activities that some of us did as kids but now the law has made it impossible for kids to get out and do things. You can’t skate her or ride your board there, climbing through an abandoned house out in a backfield somewhere gets your parents sued and you get a record. Sneaking out was one of the best aerobic exercises I did as a kid. We didn’t do anything to bad but running everywhere getting the heart rate up and being very alert to your surroundings isn’t that bad then you come home usually safe and sound and get some sleep. Now the penalties is to too severe.

Fat Lazy Parents (me included):
So we are overweight and low on energy so we don’t want to run our kid to extracurricular activities or go outside and teach little Johnny how to play baseball or go to the park and play volleyball. We get fat and lazy and they don’t learn good habits and end up the same way.

I am not a doctor or Lawyer and only a part time parent so should I really be dispensing this information and advice? Yes, because the people in charge who should tell you this stuff are obviously a bunch of dope smoking retards….. just my .02 Have a Lovely Day

I just think along with the exercise you suggested, parents should also be aware of what their kids are putting in their mouths. Instead of the high fat, high carb food and goodies loaded with sugar, I wish someone would have taught me the value of an apple or some fresh veggies. Maybe I wouldn't have gotten so heavy. Interesting post! Have a great day!
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Apr-16-05, 17:59
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

It's easy to sit back and tell other parents how they should get out there with their kids and "enjoy the weather", since I live in a VERY low-crime area and have the LUXURY of being a stay-at-home Mom.

I'm also lucky enough to have an education about what makes for a nutritious diet, and the means to provide quality food to my children.

My son does have a bit of a weight problem due mostly to his disability and medications, but I'm so lucky to have access to the right kind of care for him, so his doctor can help keep an eye on things.

I love him regardless of his size, and have sworn myself to being a better parent than my Mom, who liked to remind me I was "getting chunky" on a regular basis.

Yes, there are a lot of things parents who AREN'T as lucky as I am can do, that maybe they aren't. Instead of complaining, why don't we all go take the neighbor's kid for a walk WITH us?
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Apr-16-05, 18:19

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 188/182/150 Female 5'2"
BF:yes/it/is
Progress: 16%

Right on Primate!!!!!!! My son, who is now a trim and slim 21 year old, was a quite a chunk of a boy. He was, and is very active. What could be more cuddly and lovable than a big ol' baby boy! My only concern was for his health and the fact that other kids can be cruel. the word "diet" was never mentioned or thought of. he is my son, whether fat, skinny or somewhere in between - he is perfect in my eyes. Marlene
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Apr-16-05, 18:19
Registered Member

BF:

Very Good! It is fantastic to hear the opposite side of this issue. Though I do not agree with some of the rebuttals it is good to see that it is at least being thought about. ---- I am right there in agreement Pollyanna WELL SAID!
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Apr-16-05, 18:45

Plan: LC - 50C or less
Stats: 455/246/200 Female 5ft 9in
BF:
Progress: 82%

I agree that putting them on a "diet" is the wrong thing to do. Some kids are naturally chunky and some get that way because of their enviornment. There are plenty of ways to curb it and one is to get off our lazy ~$$ and do it with them. I dont live in a crime ridden neighborhood (far from it) but Im not stupid either. My kids are always where I can see them and take care of them. There are plenty of parks and such to go to if the yard isnt an option, but that would take effort on our part.

It takes "too" much effort to put good nutritious food on the table and to buy healthy snacks because they yell and beg for sugary treats (which are plenty cheaper). Well a bag of carrots cost about $1 or two...same as/ less than cookies and thats a decent snack for a kid. Thats just an example, of course every child wont eat carrots. But you can find something healthy they will eat or at least try.

We all need to look at what we all eat, what we fix our children and what we expect to teach them in life. Some kids are chunky naturally ( like I said before ) but the majority get worse because of what we do to them. Also while on the subject, people should stop pointing and saying crap about others being fat - especially in front of their kids. Your an adult, yes we know, but try to teach your children better than you. If you everyone tought their kids to be kind then there wouldnt be so much teasing in the first place.

My children get in BIG trouble if I find out they tease/ have teased someone. They are tought that its not nice and hurts peoples feelings and give them examples of how it hurts them - not just take it for granted that they are angels and will learn only from your instruction.

I tell them all the time that they are perfect the way they are and its ok for people to be different. I tell them that we are all eating healthier and try not to use the word "diet" around them. Althought they are little ears so they hear things we dont necessarliy want them to. I just hope they understand that their mommy and daddy are unhealthy like this and are working to fix it. They are one of the main reasons that we are doing this. I dont want to be the lazy fat mom. The parents that dont want to go do anything ever just due to lack of energy and embarrasment of ourselves. And thats exactly who I am right now. (trying not to be though and doing a decent job so far).

Anyway..I got to rambling there myself. Its getting warmer everywhere ~ get those kids out!!! and get out with them!!! (be safe).

Oh yea..and I agree I wouldnt let my kids run the neighborhood. Have you ever typed your address in the child molester database to see how many lived in your area?? Its very scary...and I have a good community. Only one....well two now one just moved in. I was abused as a child and I would die protecting them from that sort of thing. Thats why Im always there!

Im sorry if I offend some - Im not trying to generalize EVERYONE and I know that some times its harder due to whatever reason. But parenting takes a major commitment and is a major obligation. Do your children right!
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Apr-16-05, 19:12
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%

My mom put me on a diet when I was 5. I didn't understand that I was chunky and thought she was mad at me and that was why everyone else got dessert. Your right I grew a few inches and by 6 I was scrawny.

I feel sorry for kids today. They really can't run around free anymore, at least not where I live.

I hear ya primate the world is setting them up to be fat.

An aside my parents were very strict very little junkfood. I was a teen before I had my first coke. I can't blame them at all for my carby ways, its all my doing.

Good luck Primate!
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Apr-16-05, 19:24
Registered Member

BF:

Well put LiveWell. I am not sure if I am supposed to be commenting when I agree or disagree I just feel rude letting someones comment hang without saying anything so fill me in if I can stop replying all the time

One thing though. This might be more from a male stand point I dont know but calling somone fat, while not PC and can be considered rude, is not a big deal. While I would never teach my son to or encourage him to call somone fat, I dont take huge offense by someone calling me fat, you know since I am and all

Big Boned, Big Build, Large, Voluptuous and any other slang word seems patronizing me. It is like a code word for fat. Calling someone a name for something that is beyond their control is not right such as a physical deformaty or mental health isssues but, someone who likes ho ho's zingers and whos only exercise is running to the fridge for German Chocolate cake (talking about myself here mmmmmm German Chocolate cake ) should not be suprized when they are refered to as fat.

Males when children or Adults (I should say big children ) Communicate in a very different way. We great each other with derogatory names and expressions. To hear someone say "move your fat ass" or "Hey fat boy", to me anyway, is not shocking.

Well I think that was a secondary rant sorry. By the way not upset or anything I just have a lot of thoughts and haven't been able to vent them. I will chill out promise
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Apr-16-05, 19:34

BF:

lol dont worry about it. Some will agree some will disagree. My husband is a "teasing" kind of person. He wont do it if he knows it hurts your feeling or even thinks it might. But him and his brother grew up teasing each other and thats what they do constantly. "hey fatboy" "hey slim" (and thats being derogatory too..neither are slim lol) but yes I know boys (and men) are way different from women and girls.

But there is also a difference between adults and children and there should be different actions around children. I dont think its right to demean someone because of how they look. Whether they can change it or not really. Even the guys feelings can be hurt - especially as a small child. As they grow they find their own set of friends and their own personalities and what is is. But they shouldnt be taught that thats anyway to treat their fellow man.

I didnt take anything you said as being angry Im interested in seeing how others feel about all this. I have a feeling there will be alot of posts. I dont have a problem with people feeling the way they feel, one way or another. Im pretty laid back. All of us have opinions, some are the same, some slightly different but basicly the same, and some totally opposite. Its all good
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Apr-16-05, 19:38

BF:

Oh and one more thing I think as adults its easier for us to be called or thought of (by others or ourselves) as fat. We are more mature and dont usually fall into TOO much emotional tourmoil from it. But kids are way more sensitive to everything growing up. Trying to find themselves and all. Im fat, I know Im fat, I know people know Im fat hehehe, But I would still give someone an earful for calling me that to my face because everyone is flawed somehow.
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Apr-16-05, 19:56
Glutton for Grease!

Plan: Primal-VLC
Stats: 295/190/190 Male 76
BF:don't/really/care
Progress: 100%

I agree with some of your points, primate, but the first thing to realize is that to us serious lc'ers, lc is not a "diet" in the traditional sense of a weight-loss diet. It is a new way of life that simply discards junk food in search of better overall health (for most of us, this does include weight-loss, of course). Period. I don't think there is anything wrong with wanting kids to eat real food most days! I am responding here because I am the one that expressed in another thread my displeasure with my wife constanty allowing the kids junk food. Neither of my kids are even "chunky" whatsoever, but I still like for them to eat healthy food. I developed metabolic syndrome eating FAR less sugar and starch than they do.

You are definitely right about the exercise being insufficient nowadays. I personally think that diet is far more important to control of weight, though.

I totally agree that it is rubbish to ruin a kid's self-esteem by striving for bodily perfection, but it is equally rubbish to destroy kids' lives by feeding them rubbish from the time they are conceived!