Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Apr-13-05, 19:52
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 222/222/130 Female 5 '6
BF:
Progress: 0%
Lightbulb Atkins/Coffee

Someone I read a post from the other day had thier plan as Atkins/coffee. I am interested to know how that works. I love coffee. Is is decaff ? Is there a paticular time that you drink it to help you with weight ? I am sorry that I do not remember who it was but if anyone knows it's benifits I would like to know.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Apr-13-05, 21:47

Plan: none
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'1
BF:
Progress: 22%

Hi Jerri!! Some of the Atkin's followers do indeed drink regular coffee. Some people can drink regular or decaf with no problems. I'm not 100% positive, but I don't think there is any time schedule for it. Just remember to count your sweetener and creamer carbs and you'll have no problems! HTH!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Apr-13-05, 22:56

Plan: atkins
Stats: 258/238/140 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 17%

I drink 1-2 cups of regular coffee a day (on occasion more). I'm not sure really if it hurts or not but it supresses my appitite a great deal which, to me, counter balances any negatives it may have. Lately I've been drinking Gevalia (sp?) French Vanilla with a little heavy whipped cream (Zero Carbs) and Splenda. Yum!!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Apr-14-05, 02:38

Plan: Atkins & Bowflex
Stats: 350/308/220 Male 6ft 4in 26yrs
BF:Started 22 Feb 05
Progress: 32%

I'm drinking about a cup or two per week of quality decaf with a packet of splenda & some cream.

I love coffee, but I was so seriously addicted to caffeine that I vowed I'd never become addicted to it again. I know caffeine is a diuretic & appetite supressent, but a cup of coffee is probably not going to kill you. I personally just don't drink the fully-leaded stuff anymore because 1) I don't need it and 2) Don't want to need it.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Apr-14-05, 05:55
WONJ #7Snoopy Lover

Stats: 177/135/128 Female 5"4
BF:less than before
Progress: 86%

I treat myself to it just on the weekends and have a reg. Starbucks with SF Davinci syrup in it. Yummy!!
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Apr-14-05, 06:17

Plan: low carb
Stats: 263/186/154 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 71%

I've been on decaf since January, I wasnt sleeping properly, so went cold turkey and refused all coffee for a couple of weeks.. the first couple of days I felt like a lead balloon and had a terrible headache, but now I only drink decaf.. one half cup in the morning, and possibly one in the evening on a Sunday, when everyone else has hot choc
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Apr-14-05, 06:24
Registered Member

Stats: 168/155/125 Female 5"7
BF:??
Progress: 30%

I drink 1 cup of regular coffee, with splenda and a little cream.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Apr-14-05, 06:32

Plan: Ketogenic LCHF
Stats: 240/157/150 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 92%

Although Dr. Atkins advised against it, I have continued to drink coffee. I gave it up for a few weeks but went back to it. Actually I'm trying to cut down again because I've found myself drinking an entire pot over the course of a day these past few weeks. So I need to cut back again and drink some tea when I want something warm.

One of my favorites is coffee (I brew Starbucks at home) with heavy cream, cocoa powder and Splenda.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Apr-14-05, 06:43

Plan: Atkins+coffee
Stats: 290/185/180 Male 71 inches
BF:Yes, it is.
Progress: 95%

Well, I'm the one that is on the atkins/coffee plan. The coffee does nothing to aid weight loss, and there is recent research that shows it does effect insulin production. While on this WOE I've found that Dr Atkins had good reasons for everything he put in his books, even though he didn't fully explain them.

While I have had great success on this diet while drinking my black coffee every day, I cannot say if my weight loss would have been faster or slower without it. If you can, I would suggest breaking the habit.

--nw
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Apr-14-05, 06:54
Back to goal

Plan: Transitioning back to LC
Stats: 238/209.8/160 Female 66
BF:Sz18W+/12-14/6
Progress: 36%

I sometimes drink coffee on Atkins (I did the whole time I was losing to the point I'm at now). I found I do lose slightly faster when I'm not drinking it, but I'm not concerned with fast weight loss, so I continue to drink it.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Apr-14-05, 07:17
Registered Member

Stats: 230/184/190 Male 72"
BF:
Progress: 115%

I drink 3 or 4 BIG cups every morning. Always have.
Doesn't seem to bother me.
I believe Dr. Atkins said coffee MAY cause an insulin spike,
and as long as you are breaking your carb-addiction,
you might as well break your cafeine-addiction. too.
Love my coffee,
hee hee, and my daughter manages a Starbuck's, too. Perfect!
mrt
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Apr-14-05, 07:21

Stats: 286/263/200 Male 73 inches
BF:
Progress: 27%

I drink around 3 cups a day...sometimes more of regular coffee. I still lose, and woud probably couldnt stop drinking it even if I didn't. I do not function without it,
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Apr-14-05, 10:04

Plan: In Transition
Stats: 256/180/140 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 66%

I feel that if Dr. Atkins wanted me to really take him seriously about caffeine possibly hindering my weight loss, he should not have put a cup's worth in his daily dose of Atkins Accel. On the outside of the box, in bold type, it says: "Enhances Fat Burning Aids Appetite Control". As long as he chose to contradict himself and allow me options, I will choose the one that works for me. My morning coffee stays.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Apr-14-05, 10:20

Stats: 207/207/150 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

The first time around I cut out coffee. This time around I drink it whenever I want to. I have at least 1 cup a day. If I'm going to follow this WOL I have to adjust it to fit me. So far it's working great!
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Apr-14-05, 10:28

Plan: LC / breastfeeding
Stats: 230/194.5/150 Female 5' 4"
BF:30%
Progress: 44%

I have a large decafe ice coffee w/ cream & splenda every morning, doesnt seem to bother me.