Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Apr-07-05, 07:00

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 258.5/244.5/180 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 18%
Question Newbie Menu Advice

Hello all!
Ive been on this way of eating (protein power/atkins) for going on two months now. I am happy with my progress and not STALLED in the literal sense of 4 weeks with no changes, but I feel like I am losing quite slowly. Ive been stuck at 12 pounds lost for two weeks. I dont have a base for measurements yet, but i dont feel a big loss.

Could you look through some daily menus of mine and help me out.

Breakfast: Usually 2 eggs scrambled with a titch of butter, cheese on top with salsa, glass of hood carb free milk. Sometimes a can of tuna fish with a glass of hood milk.

Lunch: Salad with a bit of cheese, low carb vinagrette type dressing, deli ham put on top, with a Pria Carbselect bar (more on this in a bit). Sometimes I'll have nuts and a slice or two of american cheese. Sometimes I'll have a Smartones or Lean cuisine Carb Smart frozen dinner (i dont consider it a frakenfood... maybe it is? i know about the sodium...)

Dinner: So im almost NEVER hungry when i get home. so, i'll have a salmon steak, or some cut up chicken with peppers, onions, broccoli and top it with cheese, salsa, and sour cream. sometimes i'll have a low carb tortilla with chicken pieces and cheese.

Desert: Low carb cheesecake or low carb ice cream sandwich.

Lately Ive noticed ive been eating the pria bars every day. i know they are YMMV, so im going to cut those out. Ive also just noticed I eat a fair amount of cheese. could this be helping me stall/slow? I drink my water and live a fairly active life, no hardcore exercise yet, but i am planning on starting a weight lifting routine tonight and ive been biking to work. I am very much not hungry at all (maybe not eating enough food?). no real cravings, so these things are really great, but Im just feeling a little stuck.

Thanks for any advice and sorry so long!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Apr-07-05, 08:29

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 190/99.0/102.0 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 103%

Sure, try cutting out the bars and low carb ice cream, and see if that helps. Cheese can slow some people, but I haven't noticed a problem with it and I eat about 3 oz a day.

Do you actually measure everything and count the carbs each day? hard to know how much you are eating of things like onions and salsa, but they do add up if you eat a lot of them.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Apr-07-05, 11:10

Plan: Maintenance (PPLP)
Stats: 216/131/140 Female 5 feet, 5 inches
BF:48.79/21.19/23
Progress: 112%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aetheana
Desert: Low carb cheesecake or low carb ice cream sandwich.

Lately Ive noticed ive been eating the pria bars every day. i know they are YMMV, so im going to cut those out. Ive also just noticed I eat a fair amount of cheese. could this be helping me stall/slow? I drink my water and live a fairly active life, no hardcore exercise yet, but i am planning on starting a weight lifting routine tonight and ive been biking to work. I am very much not hungry at all (maybe not eating enough food?). no real cravings, so these things are really great, but Im just feeling a little stuck.

Thanks for any advice and sorry so long!!

I don't think your meals look that bad at all....the LC cheesecake and/or LC ice cream could be your problem -- those are more "maintenance" foods, are you having one or the other every day?

It wouldn't hurt to cut back just a tad on the cheese, nuts have also been known to stall some. Definitely cut out the pria bars.

Other than that, make sure you are getting your protein requirement, count your carbs, drink your water....
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Apr-07-05, 11:46

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 216/126/130 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 105%

You seem to eat a lot of LC products so, like others said, maybe cut back on them a little bit and see what happens. Of course, 12 pounds in 2 months is a pretty good loss; 6 pounds a month is over a pound a week which is a really healthy rate of loss.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Apr-08-05, 03:31

Plan: vegan low-carb
Stats: 252/252/199 Female 64.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

I agree with the others - cut out the lc products and "keep it clean" - all whole foods for a few days and see how that feels to you.

Also, your fat intake seems very low. Try substituting some butter or sour cream for the salsa a bit. Salsa seems to be a "low fat diet" kind of thing, to me. I do eat it occasionally, but it still has that "low fat label" to me (on baked potatoes - 'member that?? ). Also, different salsas can be pretty carby.

Try plugging your stats into www.fitday.com and see what you get. Your goal should be 10-12 times your current weight for calories, and then your stats should be at about 70-75% fat, 20 - 25% protein, and 5% carbs. It just seems like your fat is too low and, believe it or not, that CAN stall you