Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Apr-01-05, 12:11

Plan: Atkins / Curves
Stats: 182.0/182.0/150 Female 5'6"
BF:27.2
Progress: 0%
Default chicken wings

Hi - Does this seem right to you - it looks kind of high (calories) for 10 wings

Nutrition Facts

Amount Per 10 piece
Calories 735.37
Calories from Fat 468.6
% Daily Value *

Total Fat 52.07g 80%
Saturated Fat 13.5g 68%
Polyunsaturated Fat 13.27g
Monounsaturated Fat 19.83g
Cholesterol 194.43mg 65%
Total Carbohydrate 0.52g 0%
Dietary Fiber 0.16g 1%
Protein 62.3g 125%
Alcohol 0g

Thanks.

Vikki
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Apr-01-05, 12:17

Plan: Low carb / high Protein
Stats: 290/238/215 Male 6ft 2inc
BF:18.92
Progress: 69%

Ya that seems right I was just looking at the same thing on my fitday program I love chicken wings (hot wings) I make my own with Franks hot sause that has no Carbs in it. I never new that chicken wings were so high in Calories. Blew my mind. They do not have Carbs our very littke any way. I do not understand why they would be so high but a chicken breast is very low.I can live off chicken wings but I also try to keep my calorie intake as low as I can as well as carbs but it is hard when 15 wings are 1100 calories. I think we are fine eating them thow because we do not need to worrie about calorie intake realy.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Apr-01-05, 12:20

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 275/235/160 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 35%

yep they are high in fat.. i cut back after i found that out..i was chowing down on a plateful. now the wings are sitting in the freezer waiting for a occasion to be eaten--but just a few now!!
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Apr-01-05, 12:25

I found another site telling me the same answer. I love to have these on Friday nights, but I think I'm gonna have to plan better - I know we can have them, but to go up over 2000 calories is scary to me (however, I'll probably have them tonight anyway, we're expecting snow AGAIN, so it fits the weather).

Vikki
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Apr-01-05, 12:30

I know they are sitting in my frezer as well Lowcarbr. I lived off these but to go so high in calories it like I have to not eat at all then eat wings our waight intill I go for a big walk our work out. I have so many sitting in my freezer that I got for Costco and I just cant do it knowing how many cal they are. It just is not fair LOL
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Apr-01-05, 13:23

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 174/166/140 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 24%

I seem to recall fat has about 9 calories per gram and carbs have about 4 calories per gram. This is part of the rationale for the low-fat diets by the way (not that I support them). The 52 g of fat in the chicken wings is roughly 470 calories just there.

I love chicken wings too, and make them about once every 2 months or so. I dry roast them in the oven with spices and most of the fat drips off, so I am hoping that the result is somewhat lower calorie.

If you're interested here is my method:

Cut off the wing tips and cut the chicken wings into halves (ie: separate the drumette from the ??? I don't know what to call the other half - the part with two bones). Line a rimmed cookie sheet with tin foil and arrange the wings on a baking rack (the kind you use to cool cookies) placed on the cookie sheet. Sprinkle fairly generously (I mean it) with salt, pepper, paprika, garlic powder and a bit of cayenne pepper. Roast in a 375 degree oven for about 1 and a half hours (I know it seems like a long time), turning over once and re-spicing about half way through. You have to judge the time a little, depending on how "well done" you like them. This amount of time gives a pretty well done wing with crispy skin. As I say, quite a lot of the fat drips off, being rendered in the long roast. They are amazing, and I serve them with blue cheese dressing and celery!

Cheers, Barb
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Apr-01-05, 13:54

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 275/235/160 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 35%

i agree POCO i roast mine for that long too so that the fat bakes off. they are melt in your mouth. and i too like the heavy duty foil for easy cleanup.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Apr-01-05, 14:31

STOP !! STOP !! my mouth is watering . That sounds so good I am sitting here licking my lips. That is a good Idea. Well the good news is is that in the last 3 months I lost 60 pounds and to be very hounest I live off chicken wings. I deep freid them at the start then just cooked them on a roasting pan fat and all and I still lost weight. I had a real eye opener when I got fitday and saw the calorie intake on them kinda scared me. But I was still losing the weight when I did not know.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Apr-01-05, 14:36

What a gorgeous dog, Atmasters! I have a husky/shepherd mix.

Vikki