Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Aug-26-02, 10:12
Registered Member

Plan: -
Stats: -/-/-
BF:
Progress: 23%
Default How are you sleeping?

I've experienced problems with sleeping for as long as I can remember. From waking up 10x per night, to sleeping way too long (so groggy I just can't get out of bed) to general insomnia and great difficulties falling asleep.

Lately, I've had huge problems falling asleep. I've tried everything... no tv/computer/books (anything stimulating) for 1-2 hours before, no eating for 3-4 hours before, putting myself on rigid sleep schedules, drinking warm milk or "sleep" teas beforehand or taking valerian root, etc., etc., etc. I've even gone so far as to completely exhaust myself physically during the day... nothing works. It stills takes me an average of 4 hours to fall asleep... longer if I go to bed "early". Normally, I'm tired all day, as I have to get up for work between 6:30 - 7:30, and falling asleep at 4 in the morning doesn't do much for my disposition.

I've read a lot about mood changes people experience when they LC... have any of you experienced better sleep? Deeper sleep? Falling asleep faster & more soundly? (Or the opposite?). If so... how far into LC'ing did you notice a change?

I'm getting rather desperate & thinking of asking for sleeping pills (as much as I HATE "pills" in general) from my doctor. I've tried self-meditation/relaxation techniques, even!! I'm sick of going to bed at 10:00 and tossing & turning until 3 or 4. Should I stick with LC/exercise and see how it goes rather than resorting to sleeping pills?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Aug-26-02, 12:12

Plan: PP TKD CKD
Stats: 265/220/175
BF:
Progress: 50%

Hi,
For the first week or so, my sleep got worse, much like you are describing. Then it got much better. Now after about two months it seems to be worsening again.
For me it might be these causes.
I need to work out early in the day or I'll stay awake.
If I do a tough weight lifting session it might keep me up.
Sometimes I don't eat enough and I need to eat something significant right before bedtime.
The key seems to be not succumbing to a carbohydrate fix for a few days, then the problem settles down. For that, I use sleeping aids as a backup.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Aug-26-02, 13:28

Plan: TSP/PPLP/low-cal/My own
Stats: 250/209/150 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%

I've been on TSP for almost 7 months now and have been sleeping like a log every night since sometime in the first month. Most nights I fall asleep "as my head hits the pillow." The longest it takes is 20 minutes or so. And the only times I have had trouble have been when I overslept on the weekend. If I get more than 8 hours, I can't go to sleep as early as I should and the next day I'm overly tired.

During this time, I haven't had any "carb fixes" as Doug described. It may make a difference. Also, TSP does allow more carbs than Atkins. I don't know how much a difference that makes. I know most people report getting better sleep when they low-carb.

Before TSP I slept very poorly. It sometimes took a couple hours for me to fall asleep, never less than 30 minutes, and I would wake up numerous time during the night. I would also not feel rested after that kind of night.

Now I wake up refreshed and ready for the day almost every day.

;-Deb
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Aug-26-02, 21:58

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 300/300/195 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 0%

I've had a similar experience. The first 2 weeks, I had a TERRIBLE time sleeping. But I wasn't tired - just wired and only sleeping 4 hours a night was ok. Not great, but I could function through the day ok.

Now, 2 months into Atkins, I sleep like a log, even through the noises that used to bother me before (except for the cloud of marajuana smoke that wafted in through an open window the other night )! And while I like sleeping 9-10 hours, and will given the opportunity, I don't have to.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Aug-27-02, 15:05
Registered Member

Plan: -
Stats: -/-/-
BF:
Progress: 23%

DebPenny, how long were you on TSP before you noticed a change in your sleeping patterns?

I've only been low-carbing for a month or so... I've had sleeping problem for years & years (since I was a kid, really - my teachers used to joke about my only failing subject... it was naptime, lol). My sleeping patterns haven't changed at all since beginning this WoE (no worse, no better) - just wondering how long I should wait until I just cave and get a prescription.

Looks like for Delilah it was 2 months or so??

Doug - what sleep aids do you use? I've tried Valerian root, the "sleepy teas", and pretty much all the over-the-counter ones (Nytol, Sominex... even Benedryl, Tylenol PM, etc. lol). It either knocks me and makes it sooooo difficult to get up the next day, or it just doesn't work at all.

I am in ketosis, and slowly losing, not really having any huge carb-cravings (which amazes me, haha). I've just had it with sleeping 3-4 hours per night, being exhausted all day, falling into bed the next night & lying there for hours.

Thanks all!
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Aug-27-02, 23:56

Plan: PP TKD CKD
Stats: 265/220/175
BF:
Progress: 50%

Dear Lunula
I've tried the whole variety of herbal sleep aids. One that works sometimes is Calms Forte. It's a homeopathic remedy.
I've also got Ambien and some other prescription med that will really konk me out. Fortunately, my MD is a big advocate of PP. He's seen this problem before and he has no problem prescribing meds if needed.
I don't like using them because they have a hangover effect. The problem is that I know that carbing up will put me right down. So I have to make a choice - stay up all night, or eat something and defeat the effort I'm making, or take a pill.
It's interesting that this problem has cropped up after a couple of months. This is when the going gets tough, when the novelty of the program has worn off and it becomes a matter of discipline, focus and determination.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Aug-28-02, 13:50

Plan: TSP/PPLP/low-cal/My own
Stats: 250/209/150 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%

Lunula, I wasn't paying enough attention to know exactly when, and it probably changed kind of gradually, but I think it was during the first month. I'm on TSP and so don't "do" ketosis.

;-Deb
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Aug-29-02, 03:49

Plan: Atkins/CKD
Stats: 296/248/160
BF:???
Progress: 35%
Angry sleepy

Good morning all!
I'm in the same boat. Wasn't sure if it was because of the diet or something else. Now after reading your posts,I'm leaning towards Atkins. Every morning for the last two weeks or so I wake up at4:30!!! And I mean WIDE awake. The only good thing about it is that it gives me time to read y'alls post I just saw my Dr. yesterday but didn't mention it because I don't need another Rx. Any suggestions for over the counter that won't make me one of the walking dead next day? Thanks for all your advice. This is like having a whole bunch of friends that REALLY understand.

TIA.....Shari
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Aug-29-02, 09:05

Plan: PP PLAN
Stats: 213/190/150 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 37%
Default zzzzzzzzzzz

I had a problem sleeping too, but not because of LC. I noticed a huge change about the time I hit menopause, It didn't help that my Mom passed away about the same time. All happened in 2000. I used to take forever to fall asleep, then wake every morning at 3 am until 5 am, then get up at 6 am to go to work. (dragging my fat tail behid me)

I started LC on March 4 of this year, which really did not affect my sleep patterns or lack of. I happened to read a post a month or so later on sleeping problems. I have read so much on this site, that I have no idea where, (probably one of Nat's) about magnesium and calcium. I had read about magniesium being a "Miracle Supplement" in Protein Power, but really didn't pay much attention.

Anyway, I started taking 400mg magnesium and 1200 mg calcium around 7pm and although I have a rocky night maybe once in a while, the difference is like night and day. (no pun intended)

good luck