Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Aug-21-02, 17:08
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 150/147/120
BF:
Progress: 10%
Lightbulb Nu Salt _a hazard?

I purchased some NuSalt on the advice of some fellow forumers. Mostly for a potassium supplement. Im reading up on it and ive read alot of bad press on salt substitutes. They say it can lead to cardiac arrest..etc. I think Ill stick with my regular potassium supp. Not to mention, this stuff tastes like sh**!

What do you all think? I wanted to take it for increased energy..but ...i dont know about this stuff
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Aug-22-02, 22:30
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%
Exclamation

It's a myth that potassium-based salt substitutes and potassium supplement pills will cause cardiac arrest in a person with healthy kidneys, who is not taking medications for heart or blood pressure problems. If you are adequately hydrated, and not experiencing a dehydrating illness with vomiting and/or diarrhea ... then it's unlikely for potassium to build up in the system to dangerous levels. Healthy kidneys will excrete any excess in the urine.

Plus .. when you take pills, or eat some food with the Nu Salt on it ... it doesn't go from your mouth directly to your heart! It gets mixed in with whatever else is in your stomach, and then is slowly and gradually absorbed over time. In fact, potassium pills have a special coating on them which will slow their absorption ... not to avoid a "cardiac event" but rather to protect the stomach and esophagus, since potassium can be irritating.

Damaged kidneys, or certain medications for blood pressure can cause potassium to be retained. In these situations, the levels of potassium will build up chronically in the blood, and yes can cause problems when they reach a critical level.

1/8 tsp Nu Salt provides 528 mg potassium. A medium California avocado has 1,100 mg potassium in it. A can of red salmon has 1,390 mg. Nobody has keeled over from their heart seizing up after eating these foods.

Doreen
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Aug-22-02, 22:32
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally posted by yvette
.. Not to mention, this stuff tastes like sh**!
LOL!!

I mix potassium salt-substitute 1:1 with fine sea salt. This tastes great and it works dandy in recipes too.

hth,

Doreen
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Aug-25-02, 17:06
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 150/147/120
BF:
Progress: 10%
Talking thanks doreen

Thanks for the info! I did do further research on the NuSalt and found the same info youve given me. Ill continue to take a little each day, definitely better than popping 4 supplements!!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Sep-04-02, 07:05

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 220/211.5/145 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 11%
Default Another question

I'm on my 3rd week of Atkins, and I'm feeling fatigued so I'm trying to supplement with Nu Salt. I was wondering if it was okay to put it in your water? or should you always eat it with food?
I also take the vitanutrients along with extra cal/mag.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
TIA!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Sep-04-02, 19:00

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

I'd put the No-salt on your food in place of salt. it doesn't taste good in water - very sharp. The cal/mag is a good idea. But you may also need 5-10 more carbs for a few days to help you over the withdrawal. Or just in general, your body may want more carbs than Induction.

By the way, if you take ACE INHIBITORS for High Blood Pressure, you MUST NOT take extra potassium in any form.