Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Aug-13-02, 07:55
Registered Member

Plan: -
Stats: -/-/-
BF:
Progress: 23%
Default Can't...stop...drinking...lattes!

For a good 3.5 years, I've indulged by having my "daily latte" - I started this because I love coffee, but I was drinking upwards of 12 cups per day and battling insomnia & panic attacks (go figure!) - having the one "special" coffee per day is very satisfying!

The problem is - the way I like my lattes is with vanilla syrup (I drink them blended with iced during summer). Not only that, but I drink them fully-caffeinated, because the decaf (I tried for few weeks to switch) just doesn't taste very good.

So now, I am really struggling with giving them up.

I have managed to give up potatoes & flour/grain products (boy, I miss pasta) - and I've eliminated a huge amount of sugar as well... but when I try to give up the lattes, I find myself literally obsessing over them. On top of that, I get terrific headaches (not sure if it's from missing the sugar or the caffeine) so I usually just cave & buy one.

I've tried cutting back - and have been moderately successful with that (i.e., I've gone from an X-Lg to a regular size) - but I just really feel incapable of giving them up totally.

Any suggestions? Any substitutes you all have found? Any way to get rid of the headaches on those days I feel strong enough not to buy one?

Thanks for any & all replies. I feel like this is the one thing preventing me from formally going through induction & I believe it's only feeding other sugar cravings...

Last edited by Lunula : Tue, Aug-13-02 at 09:03.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Aug-13-02, 08:07
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185/143/145 Female 5' 7 1/2"
BF:43%/19.6%/19.6%
Progress: 105%

Why not have a decaf latte made breve' style with Atkins sugar free vanilla syrup? Or an Americana? I would cut the real vanilla syrup right now and start gradually adding decaf to your coffee until it is all decaf. Use a really good decaf that you will like, such as Starbucks sumatra decaf. yum!

The sugar and caffeine in your diet is going to prevent you from having success. Best to cut it out as quickly as possible because when you have that stuff you miss it more. When you don't have it you don't miss it.

I am also a coffee lover and it's not that hard to change. Really.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Aug-13-02, 08:42

Plan: atkins/PP/my own
Stats: 180/133/140
BF:sz 14/4-6/toned 4
Progress: 118%
Hey, this is just my opinion, but screw the decaf!! Really, what's the point, huh? Actually, espresso has less caffeine than regular coffee (shocking, isn't it) so really you are not doing that terrible to be drinking it. And Dana is right: try a breve' latte (it's made with half n half, it's so rich and delish you really only need a 12 oz) and use SF vanilla syrup. Almost all coffee shops including starbucks have sugar free vanilla.

There's about ten carbs in one of these, but there's also calcium, fat and protein, so all in all, it's not necissarily the worst carb choice you could make
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Aug-13-02, 09:13
Registered Member

BF:

I have seen that listing for the Breve and always thought it was so decadent because of the half-and-half - but that's a great idea! I've been going to the same place (Caribou Coffee... mmmmmmm) for so long (all the local stores know me by name, haha) - need to check & see if they have the sugar-free syrups.

If they don't have it, what other vanilla syrups are good? Dana mentioned the Atkins syrup, any others I might try? Since they know me so well at Caribou, I'm sure they wouldn't mind adding in whatever I bring them.

And for me, it's more than just giving up the caffeine/sugar/coffee. It's a mental thing as well. It is something I greatly look forward to everyday, something I've always done to pamper myself, ya know? I'm in high-stress-mode at the moment, so having that latte everyday... well, it just brings me a little guaranteed happiness! I've cut out all other forms of caffeine, most forms of sugar and so much other stuff... I have to preserve this tradition, lol.

Thanks SO much for the suggestions! Can't wait to try a small Breve tomorrow!!!
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Aug-13-02, 10:57

Stats: 226/198/140
BF:
Progress: 33%
Default why ditch caffiene?

caffiene raises blood insulin levels. Insulin is the fat-storage hormone. Therefore, by keeping insulin high, you could be sabotaging your efforts to lose fat. Reducing carbs elsewhere in your diet is good but why only go part-way? I only started to lose when i completely cut the caffiene not only starches and sugars

Deb
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Aug-13-02, 12:57
Registered Member

BF:

Deb, I totally see your point & I agree...

However, I have very few food indulgences. I've been a compulsive binge eater for a long time, but had very very few things that I just loved. I view my lattes (takes me about 2 hours to drink them, lol) as something that I just truly enjoy... the whole ritual of going to the coffee shop, talking to the people who work there, getting out of the house & sipping away while I'm at work. Just makes me... well, happy! So, if I can find acceptable "healthier" substitutes, I'm willing to add more exercise or lose weight more slowly in exchange for something I truly enjoy.

A diet where I have to give up basically everything I love to eat/drink will only frustrate me and defeat me... because I know I won't stick to it for the rest of my life. Maybe I'll eventually grow to enjoy something else (suggestions are welcome!!!) - but for now, I'll keep my coffee!
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Aug-13-02, 13:55
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/BFL training
Stats: 210/206/143
BF:28%/27%/<20%
Progress: 6%
Default Don't deprive yourself!

I have a cup of coffee every morning with whipping cream and splenda. I have not given up caffeine and refuse to, although I did cut back from 3 latte's a day.
I also make my own flavored latte's. We bought an espresso machine, and I went to the local coffee shop and bought some sugar free syrup. WW also has a very low carb chocolate syrup I have only found at Albertson's. Now I make a triple shot about twice a week with frothed 1/2 & 1/2 and add the sugar free syrup. I like variety, so I have now been making Raspberry Latte's. YUM!
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Aug-13-02, 14:00

Plan: low glycemic
Stats: // Female jkl
BF:
Progress: 69%

I agree: drink the leaded if you want it, and have them use cream instead of milk to lower the carbs. Buy a bottle of your own LC syrup and dose it yourself.

Nothing comes between me and my coffee! I drink a large coffee with 1/4 c coconut milk, 2 oz of half n half, and 2 Splenda every morning. If I sleep in, I have it iced. I just figure it puts the C in my ECA stack.

Cheers!

Friday
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Aug-13-02, 14:18
Registered Member

Plan: Maintenance
Stats: 146/130/130
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Syrups

Lunula,

I also start the day off better when I have a nice hot cup of caffiene!

As for sugar-free syrups, both DaVinci and Torani make Splenda sweetened flavored syrups. If you can't find them locally, I think you could order either one online.

They are also great for mixing with whipping cream to go on fresh berries!

Cheers,
Kari
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Aug-13-02, 14:39
Contributing Member

Plan: lowcarb .
Stats: 160/141/127 Female 5'6"
BF:it"s for SALE!
Progress: 58%

hmmmm..I'm sure missing my cappicino's from Timm Hortons. Maybe I should figure out a way to make them at home!!

omg...now I'm excited!

cin
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Aug-13-02, 15:11

Plan: Syndrome X
Stats: 254/218/200 Male 6'
BF:
Progress: 67%

I think everybody did a good job of breaking it down for you...

1. Espresso often has fewer carbs than regular brewed coffee (because it's the way it's roasted that makes it stornger, not more grinds). Caffeine does affect blood sugar, but it does differently for everyone...while in many people it rises, I've heard in some that going without also raises blood sugar. The impact on blood sugar also depends on time of day and relationship to meals.

2. Definitely breve...some places, this means H/H, some cream. If you know the place well and frequent it often enough, ask if they have or would get cream and pay them extra for it. Even the diffrence between Cream and H/H helps.

3. Most places that have syrups can the SF. It probably won't be atkins, but they probably use DaVinci or Torani both of which have SF Vanilla...so they could easily get their supplier to add it.

A couple other ideas:

- Order yourself a bottle or two of SF Vanilla Syrup...you get them at Netrition or if there is a "CostPlus World Market" in your area, they stock lots of SF Torani Flavors...I've been able to get SF Vanilla, SF Caramel and SF English Toffee and they are only $4.99 for the big 750ML bottle. The stuff is NOT "refridgerate after opening", so you could transfer a small amount to an "on the go" bottle and do it yourself.

- You couldn't do it at a Starbucks or some other large chains, but if you're your coffe place everyday, you might try convincing the manager to create a "chalkboard special" "Low Carb Sugar Free Latte" to test out for awhile...they'd be surprised at not only the number of Low Carbers out there, but the number of folks not Low Carbing who'd like a little less sugar in their beverages.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Aug-13-02, 17:59
Registered Member

Stats: 185/143/145 Female 5' 7 1/2"
BF:43%/19.6%/19.6%
Progress: 105%

I popped into Starbucks today for my breve, and the manager, WHO IS ON ATKINS [wow!] told me that all Starbucks carry sugar free vanilla syrup and will use whipping cream in your breve if you choose. He informed me that w.c. is lower in carbs.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Aug-13-02, 18:22

Plan: Syndrome X
Stats: 254/218/200 Male 6'
BF:
Progress: 67%

Yes, I've noticed that all Starbucks seem to have SF Vanilla...a lot of other coffee chains do too...I only wish they'd carry some of the other flavors in SF...especially Caramel!
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Aug-14-02, 07:55
Registered Member

Stats: 196/179/150
BF:Ugh!
Progress: 37%

As a coffee lover through and through - and former owner of a downtown cafe - I cheer the daily latte routine as part of a "customized" LC plan.

When I first started this new WOE I was determined that I would make all necessary changes to my food plan except for my one large coffee in the morning and an occasional breve if I really wanted one. I decided this because I did not want my system to get used to a complete banishment of caffeine (or sugar). I wanted my body to get used to a lower level of both - almost non-existent really - so that if I happen to consume an extra coffee or something sweet down the road, it won't shock me into a stall or a gain.

My loss has been very slow, and perhaps it would speed up if I cut out the one last thing I indulge in...but to me, this is one of those things that just doesn't seem worth sacrificing. More exercise may well compensate for this!

#15   ^
Old Wed, Aug-14-02, 09:44
Contributing Member

Plan: lowcarb .
Stats: 160/141/127 Female 5'6"
BF:it"s for SALE!
Progress: 58%

Any thoughts as to how I could make my own cappicino? Tim Hortons doesn't have anything SF.

cin