Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Aug-13-02, 20:20
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 179/136/120
BF:
Progress: 73%
Default Bren

Brenda, I have been on/off Atkins for about 3yrs now. My current weight is 127.5 and my highest weight was 179 back on 8/99. I couldn't really tell you what my CCL is cause I never really paid attention to that-probably somewhere between 30-40. I just pick mostly meat/veggies and lc fruits. Now I did go off of it for while in between that time and did an OA 90 program where I had to eat 3 weighed and measured meals. It kinda reminds me of the foods the BFL book tells you to eat. My main reason for lowcarbing is that I am a sugar addict. I have no control over it. I also suffer from Bulimia since high school. I can be in recovery for months and years and than all of sudden be full blown into my disease. March 30th was my last day of purging but I still have trouble with binging. When I do lowcarb the way it's suppose to, I have no trouble with this. It's when I try to eat sf imitation crap that gets me every time. You would think I would learn by now but no way.. I keep shooting myself down every now and than. ...sigh
I posted a question on your journal, as to why you put coconut oil in your coffee. I just recently bought flax seed oil and also coconut oil but haven't really used it yet. I have added flax seed oil to my plain yogurt w/fruit that I at times eat for breakfast.
hugs~
Bec
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Aug-13-02, 20:32

Plan: IN LIMBO!!!!!
Stats: 145/137/126
BF:28.3%/22%/18%
Progress: 42%

Hey Bec~

Wow. Sorry to hear of your stuggle. On some levels, I can relate, but not to the extent that you have detailed. You are so brave for taking the adventure to figure out what is right for you...in a healthy and managable way. You will find many ED members on this forum who can help you with the specific struggles you go through.

3 years is really a long time, and you have lost quite a bit. Way to go.
When you say ccl, do you mean effective carb count? (ecc) I'm sorry but for some reason, I thought you were just starting...hummmmm
Your sugar addiction is something I can totally relate to. It was harder to quit sugar than it was a 20 year smokin' habit. go figure. (and ya don't see everyone sueing the sugar industry for making their products, now do ya? ) I'm o.k. with sugar substitutes, but definently need to cut back a bit. It's funny you mention this because just today, I started using stevia again instead of splenda. For some reason, it dosen't make me want more sugar like things.

re: the oil....I have a really hard time eating in the morning. The coconut oil has no flavor so in the coffee it goes. Gives me some calories w/o having to eat food. Also, it is supposed to raise the old metabolism, so I have a tbl in the am and one a 1/2 hour before lifting. We'll see how it goes. Now as for flax seed oil.. I had a really hard time with the aftertaste. I can handle the Udo's but the flax was tooooooo much. kudos to you!

did i cover it all? oh,....START A JOURNAL!!!
Peace to you!
Brenda
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Aug-13-02, 22:36
Registered Member

BF:

lol, okay I just did. Thanks
hugs~
Bec
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Aug-14-02, 06:19
Registered Member

Plan: None
Stats: 200/195/195
BF:
Progress: 100%

If the flax oil is tasting too strong there are a few things to check (and do): make sure if you have the oil keep it refrigerated - it does go bad. second, put it in something else (water + protein powder plus some flavoring works). You have other options though to get the EFA's - best might be using Hemp oil (if the FDA keeps allowing its sale). Or you can use either flax or hemp seeds. If you use flaxseed, grind it in a coffee grinder (shell keeps it from really being digested). If you use hempseed you can eat it directly or grind it or buy it already shelled. All of these can be used directly (hemp tastes nutty and you could actually like the oil) or mixed in foods/drinks. I find flax oil expensive ($7 for a small bottle) while the flax seed is about 89 cents per pound and it's easy to grind a container-full in no time.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Aug-14-02, 08:06
Registered Member

BF:

So if you used flaxseed meal, you don't have to use the oil? I prefer the flaxseed meal than the oil but I started using both of them. Is it okay if I have both on the same day?
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Aug-14-02, 08:21
Registered Member

Plan: None
Stats: 200/195/195
BF:
Progress: 100%

Yes, you could have both in one day if you wanted. I've put flax meal in oatmeal and the oil in a shake(or two) in a day before. Still healthy EFA's, right?

note: I'm closer to a Zone diet than anything else so please don't add up the carbs in the oatmeal
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Aug-14-02, 10:18

Plan: Zone
Stats: 255/242/230 Male 75 inches (6'3")
BF:21%/15%/8%
Progress: 52%
Default flax oil

The flax oil is a more concentrated source of EFA (O-3's), as opposed to the seeds. But the seeds do give you a source of fiber.

Probably better to do both, but the taste of flax seeds gags me.

Flax oil hides nicely in a protein shake. I take 3 scoops of chocolate protein, 1 to 2 T. heavy cream, 1 T. flax, and 16 ounces of water. Can hadly tell the flax is there.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Aug-14-02, 13:26
Registered Member

BF:

I did add the flax oil to my shake this morning. I only added a scoop of protein (18g), should have I added more? BTW....I love the taste of flaxseed....lol. I guess I gotten used to it over the years....lol. I make a fake oatmeal using 1 scoop of protein and 2tbsp of flaxseed meal and some DaVinci syrup...very good and filling.