Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Aug-08-02, 06:57

Plan: CAD (again)
Stats: 135/130.8/121
BF:
Progress: 30%
Question Advice/Insight??

Hello everyone!

I am most probably hypoglycemic (will be doing that blood 7 hour blood test soon on doc's orders) and before starting LC was constantly having the shakes, tiredness, irritability etc. etc. but also suffered continuos indigestion, stomach cramps, swollen stomach ...

I started doing various versions of LC and had success with a PP type of diet. Controlled the sugar ups and downs, the digestion problem disappeared (I never imagined it to be linked) and was basically quite thrilled with the results. Then I felt like a little food holiday, but didn't want to leave LC, so I've been on CAD for about a week.

As far as weight loss goes I'm successful and also as far as controlling the blood sugar too. I'm never hungry and I felt fine. As of yesterday though the awful cramps have come back, I'm feeling really awful, worse than ever before starting the WOE and so it's obvious it's the carbs. But if it isn't an insulin problem (and it can't be because as I've said all the rest is working fine) what could it be? An actual allergy to carbs? wheat? sugar? yeast?

Can allergies just pop up when you're an adult? I thought you were born with them...

Any advice or ideas?

Thank in advance
C.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Aug-08-02, 08:08

Plan: Atkins Now/ Candidias Control 2003
Stats: 210/203/140
BF:47%
Progress: 10%

Allergies (Food intolerances) can "pop" up later in life. What happens is that you eat the same foods over and over again for years, and your body finally says enough, and starts rejecting that food.

Wheat is in everything.... I have a wheat intolerance.

Sugar is in everything...... Feel tons better when not eating sugar

I also have other food intolerances...because they were my favorite foods for a long time.... my body now rejects. If I eat too many tomatoes my fingers feel like I have arthritis. If I eat anything with wheat in it I get a runny nose and a bloated stomach. I eat mushrooms ...well look out.. I have to run to the washroom.

So, yes.... food intolerances (allergies) can pop up later in life.

I hope this information is helpful. Best of luck with everything!!
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Aug-09-02, 01:05

Plan: Atkins - Induction
Stats: 306/298/160 Female 5', 5"
BF:BMI: 49.2/49.2/24
Progress: 5%

Chocolate...

I honestly don't know much of anything about food allergies like this - the ones that I had as a child have seemed to lessen as I get older.

But I just wanted to take a moment and wish you good luck with all of this. I really hope you find an answer to everything! Good luck on your test coming up soon!