Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Aug-07-02, 03:57

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 227/215/170
BF:
Progress: 21%
Unhappy What went wrong????

I've been on induction for 15 days. all I've been eating is meat (burgers mainly, chicken.. no hotdogs) + Hellmann's Mayo or kraft 3 cheese ranch. i also snack some times on kraft cracker barrel cheddar cheese. I'm taking multivitamins (once a day) + MetaMucil (2-3 times a day).

BUT I ONLY LOST 3 POUNDS.... TELL ME BEFORE I EXPLODE.

Last edited by NoToCarb : Wed, Aug-07-02 at 04:03.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Aug-07-02, 04:33

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 160/143/130 Female 5'6"
BF:32/*?!*!!/20
Progress: 57%

Three pounds isn't too bad in fact. You expect to lose 10% of the weight you've got to lose in the fortnight of induction - well that would be 4.5 pounds for you. I know you read of people losing loads so its frustrating when you don't, but most of us don't.
Everybody's different and our bodies need to adjust to what's going on, which they also do differently
Useful image for me is what fat cells are up to.
Apparently, as they lose fat, they grab onto water, to stay the same size, hoping the fat loss is temporary and they don't need to shrink. When they finally realise it isn't coming back, they let go of the water. So, weight and inches loss can be in steps and although you think nothing is going on, it is.
I've had patches of nothing happening and got very frustrated and then the inches and pounds started going again. Knowing this explains why.
If you're exercising, chances are you're adding muscle too, which weighs more than fat. So a loss of 3 pounds could be 6 pounds fat, but added 3 pounds muscle!

Next thing is your diet. You need to be eating green veg and salad, for the micronutrients etc, which you can't replace just by taking multivits and fibre powders.

You don't say how many calories you've been eating, you know that too few and you don't lose weight? Weird but true.
Some of the things you've been eating may contain 'hidden carbs' have you tried using Fitday (find it at fitday.com). Its a free program that you input your food for the day into and it calculates how much fat , protein, carbs and calories you're eating.
A good aim is 70 - 75% fat, about 5% carbs and 20 - 25% protein. You've got the bit about being able to subtract the fibre from the carbs right? ie a stick of broccoli has say 7 carbs, 4 of these are fibre, so you count it as 3 carbs.
As for calories you should be eating at least 10x your body weight, ie 2150 calories, if not 12x.

It's not a quick fix this, though I guess we all wish it was at times. Still, if you stick with it, it works. This is from the most impatient person in the world - I'm learning.
All the best, Jay
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Aug-07-02, 06:42

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%
Default Re: What went wrong????

Quote:
Originally posted by NoToCarb
I've been on induction for 15 days. all I've been eating is meat (burgers mainly, chicken.. no hotdogs) + Hellmann's Mayo or kraft 3 cheese ranch. i also snack some times on kraft cracker barrel cheddar cheese. I'm taking multivitamins (once a day) + MetaMucil (2-3 times a day).

BUT I ONLY LOST 3 POUNDS.... TELL ME BEFORE I EXPLODE.

Did you even read the book?

The Atkin's plan isn't about eating just meat, cheese and mayo. It's about eating healthy foods. You are REQUIRED to eat 3 cups of salad OR 2 cups of salad and 1 cup of cooked veggies every day. No wonder you are about to explode.

Try reading the book, you can probably check out a copy at your local library if you can't find it to buy.

This isn't a diet. It is a way of maintaining your weight for life through a menu plan that you can live with. How long can you eat what you have been? For life?
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Aug-07-02, 07:00

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 227/215/170
BF:
Default Re: What went wrong????

Quote:
Originally posted by agonycat

This isn't a diet. It is a way of maintaining your weight for life through a menu plan that you can live with. How long can you eat what you have been? For life?

of course i wasn't planning to do this for life. i just wanted to go into ketosis fast and make the most out of induction, but it didn't work out.

i forgot to mention that i also eat 2 fried eggs in the morning and have one or two diet pepsi cans max, sometimes i don't have any.

i'm thinking maybe some exercising will get me going, what do you think?
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Aug-07-02, 07:12
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess
Progress: 13%

I think you need to eat your veggies
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Aug-07-02, 09:50

Plan: Atkins/Stnry Bike/Physio
Stats: 225/210/155 Female 5'5"
BF:

Hi there NoTo......

I'm curious about the MetaMucil you say you've been taking. Is it sugar free?

On Page 75 of DANDR, Dr Atkins advises: "During induction, your primary source of fiber will be vegetables." He goes on to say: "Be aware that fiber is one place where less is more. Consuming too much can block mineral absorption because food simply doesn't stay in the digestive tract long enough for your body to extract valuable nutrients."

I can't help wondering if the quantity of MetaMucil you are using might be part of the problem.

The diet pepsi could also be contributing. Atkins suggests avoiding anything with aspartame and caffeine as many people find it stalls their weight loss.

Marlaine
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Aug-07-02, 10:37
Registered Member

Plan: Eclectic mix with Neander emphasis
Stats: 211/211/135
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default NTC,

Please take a step back and look at your approach. You "chances" of long term success on any WOE are limited when you approach weight loss in a way that sacrifices *health* in the name of weight loss.

I don't follow Atkins, but the induction phase is to break the carb cycle, *not* for rapid weight loss.

If you approach this WOL as a fad diet, that's what it will be. The same thing goes for Weight Watchers, Grapefruit or Ornish.

Real, permanent changes require that you change your mentality regarding food. It all starts there.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Aug-07-02, 13:58

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%
Default Re: Re: What went wrong????

Quote:
Originally posted by NoToCarb

of course i wasn't planning to do this for life. i just wanted to go into ketosis fast and make the most out of induction, but it didn't work out.

i'm thinking maybe some exercising will get me going, what do you think?

I'm thinking you aren't going to be successful in losing weight and keeping it off.

This is a life time commitment and I highly doubt until you figure out your eating habits are the cause of you not losing weight no amount of exercise is going to help.

There is a reason why the diet works. It's not about "getting into Ketosis fast", it *IS* about changing your eating patterns that cause you to gain weight.