Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Aug-06-02, 08:01
Registered Member

Plan: Mainly the Metabolic Diet
Stats: 330/219/170
BF:
Progress: 69%
Default Is this weird??? :-)

Hey Y'all,
My new thing. Diet Dr. Pepper and cream. YUMMM..... it is SO good. I pour the Dr. Pepper over lots of ice, then slowly pour some heavy cream in. I'm hooked. My grandson tells me this is disgusting and weird. LOL Anyone else do this?

Happy Lowcarbing,
Julee
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Aug-06-02, 09:08

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

It may be weird but I have heard of a lot of people doing the same thing. even with diet Root Beer. I think you are very inventive. Besides, what do kids know?

#3   ^
Old Tue, Aug-06-02, 13:54
Registered Member

Plan: 40-30-30
Stats: 232/164/170 Female 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 110%

Sounds kind of like the old Laverne and Shirley TV show - didn't one of them always drink milk and pepsi?
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Aug-06-02, 15:11
Registered Member

BF:

Yeah, Laverne did, and actually Penny Marshall drank that in real life. I always thought it sounded disgusting, but when we're talking CREAM, now we're talkin'!!! :-) This tastes kinda like a float but without the ice cream.

Happy Lowcarbing,
Julee
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Aug-06-02, 17:40

Stats: 320/272/150 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 28%

MMmmmmmmmmmm, that sounds so good. why didn't I think of that? Gonna try it real soon.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Aug-06-02, 17:51

Plan: Atkins & Hypnosis
Stats: 229/229/150 Female 63 inches
BF:not a clue!
Progress: 0%
Default soda & cream

I like the tangerine crystal light with cream, it tastes like a creamsicle.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Aug-06-02, 19:05

Stats: 223/222/170
BF:
Progress: 2%

all those diet drinks contain aspertame, which is a no no on atkins
Quote pg 128 "it must contain No calories and must not contain aspartame."
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Aug-09-02, 14:51
Registered Member

BF:

Yeah, I realize that Dr. Atkins doesn't like aspertame, and really neither do I. BUT, until Dr. Pepper comes out Splenda sweetened, then I don't think one per day is gonna kill me. I really don't do Atkins anyway, I am more a Metabolic Diet kinda gal. :-)

Happy Lowcarbing,
Julee
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Aug-10-02, 10:21

Plan: Southbeach (Phase 2)
Stats: 162/160/130 Female 5'3"
BF:32/%/?/20%
Progress: 6%

If you want to avoid aspertame...take some seltzer or soda water and get some Da Vinci's root beer SF syrup or sf cola and make your own. They are both great!!!! I put canned whipped cream in my root beer and make a root beer float!

OR

Get Diet Rite soda. They are sweetened with splenda.

But...I only drink soda's as a treat, My main liquid of choice is spring water and LOTS of it!
FWIW
Judi
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Aug-10-02, 10:36

Plan: Atkins/Kaufmann
Stats: 230/203/140
BF:48
Progress: 30%

Yepper and Diet Rite makes a lot more than colas! They've got about 6 flavors of soda made with Spenda!

I've only been able to find Raspberry, Cola and White Grape SO FAR, but I've only begun to hunt!!

I even wrote them an email (www.dietrite.com) encouraging them to use Spenda in ALL their diet products. Diet Rite is a trademark of Dr.Pepper/7 Up Company which states:

"As the largest non-cola soft drink enterprise in the U.S.,
Dr Pepper/Seven Up, Inc. has just what you want, including brands such as Dr Pepper, 7 UP, A&W Root Beer, Sunkist, Canada Dry, Squirt, Hawaiian Punch, RC Cola, Slush Puppie, Schweppes, Welch's and Country Time Lemonade Flavored Drink."

Wouldn't it be GREAT to see all these made with Spenda in their diet products!!! WOWZA!
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Aug-10-02, 13:53

Stats: 225/182/170 Female 64"
BF:
Progress: 78%

My mom puts cream in her Black Cherry Diet Rites!

Yuuuuummmmmmmmmmmmyyyy!!

Amber
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Aug-14-02, 17:39
Registered Member

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 300/247/150
BF:
Progress: 35%
Default aspatamene sp?!

Dr. Atkins doesn't like aspartame SP? (I'm just blanking the spelling) because it tends to instill crab cravings in many people. If it doesn't cause you carb carvings, it is ok to use it. I haven't used it since I started induction but I will.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Aug-14-02, 18:38

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Dr. Atkins doesn't like Aspartame primarily because of concerns with possible health risks associated with it's use. ANY artificial sweetener can and often does provoke carb cravings. For some people, even the taste of something sweet can cause their bodies to react as if they had eaten real sugar complete with an insulin release and resulting carb cravings. Artifical sweeteners for most folks are a YMMV thing. If you can use it and it doesn't bother you, fine. If you find that it stalls your or brings on carb cravings, avoid it. From everything I've read about Aspartame, I pretty much avoid it when at all possible.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Aug-14-02, 19:36

Plan: pregnancy
Stats: 235/212/165
BF:
Progress: 33%

another good reason to avoid anything with aspartame is that it is toxic in our bodies... basically when put together with heat it turns to formaldahide(major sp i know) for example when used in hot drinks or just when it gets into our bodies and mixes with our body heat... turns toxic... and creats deposits in our bodies... i have always avoided that stuff... nasty side effects...plus has been known to stall weight loss... just for all those curious people out there.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Aug-15-02, 07:52
Registered Member

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 300/247/150
BF:
Progress: 35%
Default aspartame toxic? NOT.

Yes, when lab rats have been fed astronomical amounts of aspartame, it has shown to be dangerous. I don't think a human being could eat enough of it to have a toxic reaction; the sheer volume needed to become toxic would be impossible.

What heat temperatures would be required to turn miniscule amounts of aspartame into formaldyhyde within the human body?

I looked up aspartame after I wrote my last respond on this thread. It turns out that Atkins doesn't like aspartame because it can mess up the metabolism, not alwlays but for some people. . . this is a good reason to avoid it but sooner or later I will try some on Atkins. If a diet soda w/cream is gonna keep me on the weight loss track, I'll give it a try and I won't be causing irreparable harm to my body.

For several years, I have only eaten fresh, organic produce, as well as organically raised meat (I ate a lot less meat before I started Atkins), poultry and dairy (not only eat cheese and eggs). But I am not a fanatic.

I seems a trifle dogmatic, to me, to talk of formaldyhyde.