Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jul-30-02, 21:18
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 144.5/144.5/127
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default New to LC and have 15 pounds to lose-buddy??

Hi,
I am looking for a female buddy who is close in age (35) and size to help motivate me and I'll help motivate you! Anyone...???

Thanks,
Melissa
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Aug-02-02, 14:34

Plan: atkins
Stats: 140/137/128
BF:
Progress: 25%
Default I need a buddy too.

Hi,

I'm 40, sort of close and have about 12 pounds to loose.
I'm new to the low carb thing also. I have been on it 2 weeks now but feels like 2 years!! I'm having a hard time giving up sweets!!

Do you want to be buddies?? If so how does it work. By email or what?

Last edited by bblondie : Fri, Aug-02-02 at 14:53.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Aug-04-02, 12:19
Registered Member

BF:

Hi,
I've been off line for a few days so just now got your reply! I would love to be buddies. I think we can just keep this thread going. I get emails whenever there is a new post to my threads so I'll know when you reply.
What diet are you on? What prompted you to try low carb?
I have read Protein Power, Atkins and the Suzanne Somers one. I think it all makes sense. I am trying it but am not as strict as I should be. I read these posts a lot for good tips and advise.
Tell me about you.

Melissa
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Aug-04-02, 12:28

BF:
Default Hi Melissa,

Hi,

Thanks for writing. I had read about so many people who lost alot of weight through the Atkins so I thought I would give it a try. I feel so stuck at this weight that I thought I would try something more drastic. I seem to be able to stick by this better than other because it feels like you are splurging. Except for no SUGAR!! I hate that part. But I get real cream in my coffee!!

I live in boise Idaho - moved from Denver a few years ago - have 2 kids and stay at home. i was a real career women but this works for now!! I golf and shop and complain about diets!

Tell me about you and how the protein diet works - may need to try in.

bblondie

Last edited by bblondie : Sun, Aug-04-02 at 21:12.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Aug-04-02, 19:15
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks for responding so quickly! This is fun. You don't live far from me. I'm in Tri-Cities, WA. I work for Lamb Weston/ConAgra. Our sales & marketing team is located in Boise but our corporate office (where I work) is here. I job share and work part time. I LOVE it!! I slowed way down when a had my second baby. Two kids, daughter 12 1/2 and son almost 5.
I am a chronic dieter but never have had a ton to lose. I lost 20 pounds 2 years ago on Weight Watchers but felt I had to hardly eat anything to lose and it gets worse as I get older. I gained back 10 of the pounds and could not lose them as hard as I tried so thought I'd give the protein thing a shot. I think maybe we can motivate each other. I really need someone who can help me with low carb meal ideas, etc. Maybe we can tell each other our daily menus too. What do you think? Protein Power is very much like Atkins but a tad less strict. You can eat 55 grams of protein a day but you are supposed to eat a certain amount of protein and I never really figured out the technical stuff so I kind of "wing it" but I'd like to get more serious.

Let's keep in touch,
Melissa
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Aug-04-02, 21:11

BF:
Default Hey Melissa,

Good to hear from you again. That is so funny - I have 2 people in my neighborhood that are I think higher ups at conagra. Job sharing must be perfect! I was in computer science before I quit and I miss it (a little). Part time at that would be 40 hours so I quit.

I have a girl that just turned 13 and a boy that will be 7 this month. Are you about to kill your teenager too!!

I always try to watch what I eat but It seems latly an extra 10 showed up from -I don't know where. I think it is this aging thing - I hate it 40 will give you a couple extra pounds so beware!!

I eat so boring right now. Breakfast : 2 eggs w/cheese but I get my coffee w/ cream(mmmm)
Lunch: turkey pepporoni and cheese with some salad or
tuna w/blue cheese dressing

Dinner: some meat or chicken w/salad

This is when I have my problem!! After dinner I really want something sweet. So I start eating all this other stuff to try to satisfy me Doesn't work too good.

Now I think I can go up a little more on carbs (past the 2 week induction). So tonight I had 1/4 cup of blueberries w/ cream on it. ummmmm it was good but I could have eaten another cup!!

Sorry not much help on menus - I'll start looking into it more now that I can eat a little more carbs.

Do you have Instant Messaging???

write back
bblondie
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Aug-04-02, 21:56
Registered Member

BF:
Default a final note...

Hi,
I'm doing a last little bit of surfing before bed! Yes, I do have instant messaging but am very new to it. My screen name is melpope15. What is yours? I will add you to my buddy list.

I have found the hardest thing about LC is no sugar! I crave my sweets and have had a hard time giving up my espresso granita's and Frappacinos this summer. Right now, as I type, I'm eating sugar free jello with cool whip! Today my menu was:
B-Fast - egg beaters w/ sausage links
Lunch - grilled fish (got some frozen kind and it sucked!) and some cheese and later a nectarine (too many carbs in that fruit!)
Dinner - beef taco salad with no shell and used guac and sour cream.
Then my jello! I am at 49 carbs today which is good. I try to stay under 55. I have not been able to do it for over a week without messing up though. I drop a few pounds, then drink beer or something and then gain them back! I need to get over the hump. Maybe you will help me.
I have also been looking up low carb recipes and spending more time getting stuff ready to snack on, cook, etc. It is really helping.
Oh, and yes, my teenager is driving me mad!! I love her but boy is the moodiness setting in. She has PMS almost daily.
Well, I better get to bed. I don't work on Mondays or Tuesdays so I get up and go to the gym!
See ya,
Melissa
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Aug-05-02, 08:55

BF:
Default hey melissa,

good morning,

My IM name is chilipeppa245 (daughter came up with that name). I'm on a few times a day.

I totally agree about the no sugar - I hate it. Can you eat as much of the jello as you want. That sounds good. I am so depressed - I gained back 2 pounds this weekend. We went out and I had chinese food. I didn't eat the rice but I think the rest killed me. And those carblite bars - I'm never buying those again!! They say 0 carbs on the front then 14 carbs on the back.

Have you tried putting cheese in the microwave until it gets bubbly and crisp on the sides. Then let it cool - that is a good snack. I'm going to try that french toast that is on the recipe area. I'll let you know.

Yes, my daughter is so sweet at times then one minute later shes so mad about something. What grade is your daughter in? Boys are so sweet aren't they.

Do you know anyone who works in the Boise office. If you do - lets not tell them about our LC buddies. haha

I read that one of the beer companies is coming out with a no carb beer. yea! I would rather have a rum and coke but that will work!

Well, I have to really go to the gym now - (get rid of those 2 pounds)

Bblondie
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Aug-05-02, 09:05
Registered Member

BF:

Hi there,
I had a pretty good day yesterdayl. Only those 49 carbs which is good for me. I am reading journals on this board though and trying to follow those who have had great success and got down to the weight area that I want to be. It is very interesting!

I do know a bunch of people in our Boise office. I used to work in marketing for my company before they transferred to Boise. I did not want to leave my area so I moved to another department.

So far today I'm having egg beaters and sausage. I made up veggies and dip yesterday to snack on. And tonight I'm making chicken and something with broccoli. So hopefully will have a great day. The jello and cool whip really helps but the cool whip has 2 carbs per serving so you can't overload. Gives you the sweet fix though.

My daughter is going into 7th grade. She is all into boys and makeup now. I'm not liking it! I remember me at her age and it scares me!

I have heard Chinese food is really bad because of all the salt mostly. But lots of hidden carbs too, in the cornstarch and extra sugars in sauces.

Well, I'm off to the gym too! Today is cardio. Actually last week I did mostly cardio because I had a stomach virus and did not have energy to strength train.

Have a super day!!
Melissa
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Aug-05-02, 20:57
Registered Member

BF:
Default My Day...

Hi there,
Okay, here is my day so far (and probably close to done unless I have jello!

B-Fast-Egg Beaters & 3 sausage links
Lunch-carrot, zucchini and bell pepper slices with sour cream/mayo dip and some honey roasted nuts
Snack-2 slices cheddar/mozzarella string cheese
Dinner-chicken breast grilled with broccoli cooked in sesame oil and a little soy sauce & topped with peanuts, and a few more nuts

My downfalls-the honey roasted nuts, chicken marinated in Yoshida and a little barbecue sauce on my chicken. I think I am at 40 carbs and about 2000 calories. How many calories do you eat in a day? Do you use Fit Day to track. I love it but it's a big pain to keep entering everything in.

Well, tell me how your day went, k? I weighed 144.5 on my scale this morning. I HAVE got to get into the 130's!!!!!!! Preferably by Sept. 7th when we have a big trip to the Couer d'Alene resort with a bunch of friends!!

Melissa
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Aug-06-02, 09:19

BF:
Default good job

Hey melissa, You did good. I know about that bar-b-que sause. My husband was having some and he was shocked how many carbs it had in it.

You won't believe this but I got the sugarfree jello and messed it up! I didn't let it disolve before I put in the cold water. So I drank part of it. How stupid - not much of a cook!!

That chicken sounds good. I eat too many nuts. They are so easy and good to just grab a few.

Guess what, I drank tonz of water yesterday and was good on my diet and I lost my 2 pounds again. So I'm happy. I hate going the wrong direction.

I don't count my calories at all!! I would be afraid to. I just count the carbs. At night when I want something sweet I eat so much other stuff. It's scary but low in carbs. I haven't seen that fit day. I'll look at it - thanks

Oh, I tried that french toast. If I had the LC syrup it would be great. It was pretty good w/butter. Something different and easy. I got some of the Atkins syrup so I'm going to try it again.

Have a good day - of to the gym again,

Bblondie
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Aug-06-02, 09:37
Registered Member

BF:
Default Good Job!!!

Hi,
GOOD JOB ON THE 2 POUNDS! I'm so jealous!! Do you think water makes a big difference? I am not very good about it but hear most people say they start losing if they focus on water intake. I need to do it!!

That is funny with the jello! Some more sweet ideas I saw, take jello and when almost set, mix in some cream cheese and whipping cream. Then let set up. It is like a creamy jello snack.

What is the french toast recipe? Is it the pork rinds one? Can you give it to me or tell me where it was? How long have you been at your current weight? I can stay right at this weight forever and not really lose or gain so I need to push myself and be consistent.

I eat way too many nuts also. Just so easy to snack on. That and cheese! I get those string cheeses at Costco that are chedder and mozzarella swirled. Very good.

My plan today is to roast a chicken and make a low carb coleslaw that I got on a recipe site. That will be dinner. I can add rice or pasta for the rest of the family!

I'm heading to the gym now too. Have a great day!
Melissa
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Aug-06-02, 09:49

BF:
Default Hey how did I get so many eggs??

Yea, I do think water does make a difference. They say it helps fluch the fat and get rid of excess water.

That jello thing sounds great - Hopefully I won't mess it up. The french toast is the pork rind one. Go to readers recipes and then goto breakfast. If you can't find it let me know and I'll give it to you. It's easy.

I've was at 140 for a while. I hated being over the 130s. I went down to 128 after my son was born and it felt soooo good. I would love to be there again. I'm seeing all my family in florida in 10 days so I'm hoping to loose a couple more before I have to be in a bathing suit for a week!!

Do you feel like you go to the store all the time now? I seem to have to go every other day.

Now I am really going to the gym!!
Bblondie
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Aug-06-02, 15:22
Registered Member

BF:

I totally hate being in the 140's! I felt really good when I was down to around 131 but would like to be even lower. Right now I just want to get back into the 130's and stay there.

So far my day:
B-Fast- egg beaters & sausages
Lunch-BK burger (no bun) while driving around, 4 ham slices,
a sliced tomato, slices of sharp cheddar & red onion with a little mayo
Dinner-(will be) roasted chicken and low carb coleslaw

Pretty good day so far..........

Where do you go in Florida? I have a grandma in Palm Beach and a grandpa in Boca Raton. I was born in D.C. and that is where most of my family lives. Maryland, D.D. area. But my grandparents have homes in FL as well.

Hope your day is going well. How funny, you hate to cook and I LOVE to cook!!

Melissa
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Aug-06-02, 15:41

BF:
wow, when I reread my entries I sound illiterate. I hate not having spell checker!!

yea low 130's would be good. Today I had my french toast (did you find the recipe) w/ the atkins syrup.
tuna with blue cheese and swiss cheese. some nuts of course. olives,

Dinner - chicken cordon blu w/ no breading and salad and broccoli.

Some blueberries w/ cream for after.

I don't always mind cooking, it's the day to day dinner thing that drives me crazy.
Tell me how that low carb coleslaw is. Sounds good.

Have you weighed yourself yet. Just loosing a couple pounds is a real motivater. Sometimes I wake up in the morning and think if I don't loose at least a pound I quit!

I'm from around Daytona Beach. Most of my family is still there. New symrna beach also. We will go to Disney for a couple days too. Can't skip that when you have kids.

So you are a east coast girl too!! My family thinks I can't get much farther away.

Have a good rest of day