Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Gym Logs
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Dec-03-01, 21:48

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 230/136/145 Female 5'8.5"
BF:33.95/24.51/20
Progress: 111%
Cool Cher's Workout Routine

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the boards but wanted to participate in the Gym Logs. I think this is a great idea so thanks to so many of you who have helped to develop this bb.

I've been weight training for 8 weeks now and i'm really feeling good about this. Since I have a severe case of fibromyalgia I had to start really slow. So, I only started with 2 lbs weights and I'm only using 3 lb weights now. But, hey that's progress. I'm still in a lot of pain so I have to take pain pills to even work out. But, I feel like this will help the fibro in the long run. And, hopefully, I will not have to take the medication in the future. For right now, I exercise even if I'm in a lot of pain because I figure this is the only way that i can get back to normal.

Today I worked out my lower body for approximately 35 minutes. My workout is three reps of each exercise with 10 repetitions and a 15 second rest in between. The exercises I did today are:

THIGHS (Squats; Side leg lifts; Leg Curl; Lunges)
HIPS/BUTTOCKS (Standing butt Squeeze; Standing back leg extention
straight-leg kick up; bent-knee kick-up)
ABS (concentrated butt lifts; Crunch; Ceiling lift; Knee-raised crunch)
CALVES (Seated Straight-toe raise; Seated angled-out-toe raise
Standing Strait-toe raise; Standing angled-in-toe raise)

I was really happy with the measurements for the first 5 weeks. I'm not sure why my calves went up 1/2"...but, hopefully that will change

Chest - down 1/2"
Bust - down 1"
Left arm - down 1"
Right Arm - down 3/4"
Stomach - down 1 1/2"
Hips - down 1/2"
L. and Right Thigh - down 1/2"
Calves - Up 1/2" Not sure what happened here

I measure again on December 16th (once a month from now on). Hoping for the best.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Dec-03-01, 23:46
Registered Member

Plan: dr.atkins
Stats: 132/122/100 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 31%
Talking Hello

Cher nice to meet you

I'm glad you found the forum and you sound like your off to a great start to me

keep up the hard work and drink tons of water

talk to you soon
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Dec-04-01, 16:08

Default Upper Body Workout

Hi again and thanks again grrlpwer for responding to my journal. I've already had 5 glasses of water today, and I think I'll add a few more while I'm sitting here. I did my upper body workout today and I changed it slightly. Usually I work out 5 body parts ...4 exercises for each body part, 3 repetition of 10 and 15 second rest's between each repetition (did that make any sense...lol). Well, today I did supersets. So, I combined 2 exercises with 10 repetitions for each...no rest in between and then rested and did 2 more sets the same way. I still did four exercises per body part. I think it was a slightly more aerobic version of what I've been doing. It was also harder but, it was faster since I didn't have as many rests. Anyway, I feel pretty good about this. Although, I went up 2 pounds???? and, I don't understand why... I hope it's just water weight and it goes away soon (please).
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Dec-05-01, 12:09

Default Good Morning

Well, I had a good morning in terms of exercising. I did my entire lower body workout for 35 minutes. Once again, I tried supersetting the exercises which actually felt like more of a challenge. Also, I did the pyramid system. On the first exercise I did 12, repetition then 10 repetitions and then 8 repetitions. I also went up to 5 pound weights (I used both 3 and 5 pounds). Well, I was able to do them...I'm so happy about that. I wasn't planning to start this phase of "supersetting" until I had another 4 weeks of basic training. I guess, I'll just let my body be the guide. One thing that i like...is when I'm supersetting, I'm taking less breaks and the exercises become more aerobic. Hopefully that will help me to burn fat faster.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Dec-06-01, 10:48

Plan: Schwarzbein prin
Stats: 158/155/120
BF:
Progress:

Cher, those calves will probably go down to a certain extent. They've increased in muscle size, and when the fat layer on top goes away (and it's there, even if you can't feel it very well) they'll be-at the very most- the same measurement around that they were before. They'll just be more muscle and less fat. And they'll look great, not over developed- I promise. This happens with all of us, I think. Certain areas of our bodies get BIGGER at first till the fat layer goes away. My pants get tighter at first--but they always get looser eventually.

Keep up the good work. With fybromyalgia, my hat is off to you for working out so well.

YB
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Dec-06-01, 13:31

Default Thanks Yogabuff

Yogabuff,

Thank you for addressing the "calves" issue. I really do hope they go down. I was hoping that I'm not exercising them the wrong way. But, I've been reading and re-reading the instructions and I think it is right. I do feel like all of my clothes fit better (which is a great, great feeling). Today was extremely tough with the fibro...I didn't think that I would make it through my entire upper body workout. Once again, I tried supersetting and I tried 5 pound weights (I don't think I was ready for that one). Well, I'll just sort of monitor how I feel over the next couple of days. But, I'm proud of myself for pushing through the workout today .
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Dec-10-01, 11:13

Cool Monday Gym Logs

Well, I was in pain from the fibromyalgia all weekend so, I didn't push the workout...but I did my lower body workout today (thankfully). It really felt difficult and the pain was still strong...but, I'm glad I finished the workout. Again, I'm trying to "Superset" the exercises (Combining 2 exercises before taking any rests) and this is much more difficult than what I was doing. I'll definitely be impressed when I can do this without all the pain!
Cher
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jan-30-02, 14:46

Default Need to keep up my gym log :-)

Well, this was definitely a telling month. My workout routine has really suffered because of the pain from the fibromyalgia...so, I only averaged 2 workouts a week during the first 3 weeks in January. Wow! Did I ever notice a difference. I just measured my waist on the 18th and there was no change... however, I did make my goal to lose 10 pounds by Valentine's day (set from the beginning of January). But, it's scary to think that maybe my weight went down because I wasn't building as much muscle, or worse...that maybe I was losing some muscle. Oh well, I can't focus on what's behind me...just need to go forward! I had such a phenomenal change from working out 4 - 6 times a week during October, November and December. Luckily, I am fitting into a size 12 jeans again...so at my weight...I'm certain that I've developed a lot of muscle. Well...LoL...all you need to do is look at my arms to see the muscle. Never remember having that before.

Still wondering what the end result will be for the flab that is still under my arms... It looks so much better...but, it's still there (yuck). I still have 30 - 40 pounds to lose...so, maybe I shouldn't focus on that! They say the body is very forgiving... But, I can't help wondering what will happen. Will I ever be happy with my arms, thighs and waist again?????

So, I did my upper body workout (with supersetts) yesterday and my lower body workout today (YaY)! I'm determined to get in at least 2 more workouts this week...so, I'll let you know what happens.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Jun-23-02, 02:04

Plan: My Own
Stats: 333/215/160 Female 64cm
BF:
Progress: 68%

Hi Cher - saw you in Donald's journal - so i am here for the pep talk.

YOU CAN DO IT!!! GO'ON - i'M WITH YOU 100% - GO FOR IT GIRL - YOU HAVE THE STRENGTH - YOU HAVE THE WILL POWER - YOU HAVE THE POSITIVE ATTITUDE - YOU HAVE THE LOW CARB FOODS - NO GO FOR IT - I KNOW YOU CAN DO IT - I AM BACKING YOU!!! - YOUARE THE CAT'S PYJAMAS AND THE BEES KNEES - I KNOW YOUARE GOING TO BE SUCH A SUCCESS.

Is that enough???

You know what I mean - yep - I have succumbed to the carbfest evil monster "devil" lately too - but I am back on track and so are you!!!

See you soon Cher.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Jun-23-02, 23:34

Ahhhhhhhh Wendye...thanks. I needed to read that right before going to bed this evening...Now I feel even more committed...and gee...I'm thinking about the gym work that I should be doing/adding to this thread...humm. Well thanks for the wonderful words of encouragement! That was really nice
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jul-24-02, 14:21

Plan: Ketovore
Stats: 203/173/135 Female 5' 2"
BF:
Progress: 44%
Default Cher...

It will be nice seeing you post in here again... Welcome back!!!
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jul-24-02, 15:04

Linda...yes, I should bring my "gym logs" to life OK...look for the progress a little later. Thanks for the reminder!
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Aug-03-02, 14:35

Plan: Atkins/Stnry Bike/Physio
Stats: 225/210/155 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%

A little bit of Inspiration for you:

Quote:
A workout is 25% Perspiration and 75% Determination. Stated another way, it is one part physical exertion and three parts self-discipline. Doing it is easy once you get started.

A workout makes you feel better today than you were yesterday. It strengthens the body, relaxes the mind and toughens the spirit. When you work out regularly, your problems diminish and your confidence grows.

A workout is a personal triumph over laziness and procrastination. It is the badge of a Winner, the mark of an organized, goal-oriented person who has taken charge of his or her destiny. A workout is a wise use of time and an Investment in excellence. It is a way of preparing for life's challenges and proving to yourself that you have what it takes to do what is necessary.

A workout is a key that helps unlock the door to Opportunity and success. Hidden within each of us is an extraordinary force. Physical and mental fitness are the triggers that can release it.

A workout is a form of Rebirth. When you finish a good workout, you don't simply feel better. You feel better about yourself!

George H. Allen
Chairman of the President's Council on Physical Fitness
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Aug-03-02, 14:38

Plan: Ketovore
Stats: 203/173/135 Female 5' 2"
BF:
Progress: 44%
Default Cher...

I second that!!!!
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Aug-03-02, 17:06

Ok...Marlaine and Linda...I joined the exercise challenge too. So, I'm committing to 3 days a week plus "No cheat till Labor Day"...this should be an awesome month