Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Aug-02-02, 16:12

Plan: atkins
Stats: 180/180/155
BF:
Progress: 0%
Unhappy Cannot Last A Day

EVERY DAY I START OFF WITH THE ATKINS DIET AND BY DINNER I BLOW IT. WHAT IS MY PROBLEM???? I KEEP GETTING LARGER AND LARGER AND WORRY ABOUT IT MORE AND CONTINUE TO EAT THE THINGS THAT I SHOULD NOT EAT. I MUST STICK TO THIS EATING PLAN BECAUSE I HAVE PROVED TO MYSELF OVER THE YEARS THAT I CANNOT EAT SUGAR OR FLOUR. WHY DO I KEEP DOING THE SAME THING AND EXPECT DIFFERENT RESULTS??? WILL IT EVER HAPPEN????
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Aug-03-02, 05:01
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 293/281.5/160
BF:
Progress: 9%
Smile Keep Trying!

Don't give up.

For my first week ~ I spoiled myself. I went grocery shopping and bought all kinds of cool foods I could have that I would not have dreamt of eating on a low fat diet.

Make sure you have some good things to eat and you will find after a few days ~ you won't even miss the bread, pasta etc...

(Only thing I really miss is my beer! )
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Aug-03-02, 05:06
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess
Progress: 13%

That's right...the only thing you can do is keep trying....every day keep trying. One day you'll make it all the way through....then it will be two....then three.... etc. Before you know it, you'll have lost 8 lbs. and THAT will keep you motivated!!!!

Hey, and STOP beating yourself up!! Send your body some nice, loving, forgiving messages instead and you might just see some cooperation! The mind is a very important tool. Use it!

Best of luck....stick around here and we'll help all we can!
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Aug-03-02, 11:02

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 351/316/160
BF:
Progress: 18%

Hi Linda,

As everyone has said, don't give up! Atkins has stated that the first couple days are the hardest.

When you are first starting, try to have foods on hand that you really love that were previously forbidden or using acceptable substitutes might be another option.

I have to say in my past life I must have been a mouse! I love cheese, so if I felt the need for something that I shouldn't have I chose a piece of cheese instead.

Also make sure you are getting enough food at each meal. If you are feeling hungry in between you might not be eating enough to satisfy your appetite.

If all of this has already been tried, then also take a hard think and ask if you are really hungry or if you are just craving carbs.

Good luck,

damaraq
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Aug-03-02, 11:19

Stats: 242/203.5/140 Female 64 inches (5' 4'')
BF:
Progress: 38%

You CAN do it. I know you can. Sure it might be tough, especially for the first few hours. But you can do it. You are worth it - just think of how good you will feel!
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Aug-03-02, 12:58

Plan: Six week Body Makeover
Stats: 251.4/220.4/135 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 27%

Yes, it's not easy, yes, stop beating yourself up over this, yes, it does happen and yes, it does get easier.

Having absolutely NO forbidden foods around is a big help...if you cook carbs for someone else, that can sidetrack you big time, so for the first few weeks, just take them along w/ you on your adventure into health and slimness. If you don't advertise what you're doing, kids, spouses, neighbours will go along w/ it and just think you're cooking really good these days as they chow down on cream, cheese, meats, big salads and scrumptious desserts.

Try to analyze what's taking you away from where you want to be. Just knowing that you *should* eat this way does not make the Atkins Faery pop down your chimney and say "Hi!" You've got to understand why you are straying before you can fix it.

If it's something about the end of your day, try setting a special treat for around that time. Try a new dessert recipe out for dinner. While you are cooking, be sure you have some legal food ready to pop into your mouth so you don't get too hungry before dinner. Maybe you're not eating enough food during the day...if you are too hungry you can't think straight and will scarf anything available.

And try to stop stressing yourself about how much you need to do this plan and how much you are failing. Stress itself will raise your insulin levels and make it even harder to not stray. Forgive yourself your temptations as soon as they have occurred, and don't drag them back up again afterward. Hey, temptation happens, and must be dealt w/ in a healthy manner. Get back on the wagon, wipe your mouth and move on w/o guilt!!! Each hour of each day is a new opportunity for you to begin again, and for the first couple of weeks you will begin again a LOT!

Love yourself and know that we all love you, too...now go get 'em, Tiger!!!

Get on back here tomorrow and tomorrow and tomorrow and tell us how well you are doing, you hear?

#7   ^
Old Sat, Aug-03-02, 13:27

Plan: mostly paleo
Stats: //
BF:also don't care
Progress: 100%

I agree that at first, you'll probably do best if you get the foods out of the house. The other people in your home can go out for their sugar or flour fix, if they want. If you do the cooking, you get to decide what to buy and prepare. Put yourself first in this. Others will adjust.

I've found it helpful to quit using "should" and "must" and "Got to," even when I'm just thinking. Instead, I've replaced those sorts of terms with more self-loving and positive ways of thinking: I choose to eat healthily. I would like to avoid sugar and flour. I deserve to be healthy and free of binge behaviors. I enjoy my morning walk. It's must easier to realize what I want to do and then do it; shaking my finger at myself and "shoulding" myself half to death just makes me want to rebel!
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Aug-03-02, 22:27

Stats: 234/245/145 Female 5'7"
BF:99%I'm pretty sure
Progress: -12%
Talking CHEERING SECTION

Everyday I look in the mirror and tell myself ...

I AM FOCUSED!!

I AM UNSTOPPABLE!!!

I AM DESTINED TO BE THIN!!! (I have a tiny head, of course I'm suppose to be thin! Have you ever seen a tiny head on a huge fat woman??? Not attractive! - I want to wear french braids again someday, that's just not an option right now!! )

The only other thing I can tell you is that maybe Atkins is not the plan for you. There are many other plans that are a little different and people lose weight on them just as fast. If you go to the quick link "Which low carb plan is right for me" on the side of the page, you will find a ton of wonderful information. I'm not a reader, but since I started LC'ing I've read more than I ever have. I know I will only be able to do Atkins for so long and then I will switch to one of the other plans that seems more liveable long term to me.

Good luck! You can do it!

Carianne
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Aug-04-02, 02:04
CAD for life

Plan: Atkins/CAD
Stats: 193/163.5/125 Female 64 in
BF:
Progress: 43%
Default Eat a LOT

I have had the same problem getting restarted on this way of life now i have been on two whole weeks. I think the key is to plan....have lots of legal foods.
I love bacon, the first few days i eat a lot of it...maybe its the fat but it helps the hungrys.
Plan out the 1st 3-4 days with lots of yummy meats and get a low carb dressing you like.
Also it helped me to tell my boyfriend that this was important to me and please no ice cream in the house until i got stronger...and don't offer me pizza. I told him I have trouble saying no and needed his help.
I also removed my mindless snacking foods chips, popcorn etc.. out of my roaming hands reach.

Now I am doing great...It gets easy

Good Luck I hope this helps
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Aug-04-02, 11:25

Plan: Six week Body Makeover
Stats: 251.4/220.4/135 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 27%
Default Re: Cannot Last A Day

Quote:
Originally posted by Linda1943
EVERY DAY I START OFF WITH THE ATKINS DIET AND BY DINNER I BLOW IT. WHAT IS MY PROBLEM???? I KEEP GETTING LARGER AND LARGER AND WORRY ABOUT IT MORE AND CONTINUE TO EAT THE THINGS THAT I SHOULD NOT EAT. I MUST STICK TO THIS EATING PLAN BECAUSE I HAVE PROVED TO MYSELF OVER THE YEARS THAT I CANNOT EAT SUGAR OR FLOUR. WHY DO I KEEP DOING THE SAME THING AND EXPECT DIFFERENT RESULTS??? WILL IT EVER HAPPEN????

Hi, Linda! How's it goin' today? Come back and talk to us, OK?

Take care....
skyspinner
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Aug-04-02, 13:11

Plan: atkins
Stats: 180/180/155
BF:
Progress: 0%
Red face WOW...........THANKS FOR THE REPLIES......

THANKS SO MUCH FOR EVERYONE BEING CONCERNED. WELL, IT IS 4PM AND I HAVE ONLY HAD PROTEIN TODAY. AFTER READING THE POSTINGS I AM ENCOURAGED TO STICK TO IT. WE ARE LEAVING FOR VACATION ON FRIDAY AND I WANT TO HAVE MY HEAD IN THE RIGHT PLACE SO I DON'T BINGE FOR 2 WEEKS. ONE DAY AT A TIME AND SOMETIMES ONE HOUR AT A TIME. DINNER WILL BE CHICKEN AND A SMALL SALAD WITH BLUE CHEESE DRESSING...........CAN'T BEAT THAT!!!!!!!!! THANKS FOR YOUR HELP AND I WILL CHECK IN TOMORROW. BYE FOR NOW, LINDA
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Aug-04-02, 22:12

Plan: Protein Power (more or less)
Stats: 285/231/200 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 64%
Default 1) don't panic, 2) just BE!

Hi --

1) Don't PANIC! Just be.

First, I'm sure you are doing better than you think you are. When we strive for something we sometimes get disappointed when it does not come quickly. Which brings me to my second point:

2) Don't STRIVE! Just be.

Try not to beat yourself up everytime you slip, just note that you have slipped, try not to be judgemental, and jump right back on the wagon. When we beat ourselves up over little things we tend to make things even worse.

Just relax -- don't just do something, sit there!

You'll be fine --
Vimala
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Aug-05-02, 06:56

Plan: modified Atkins
Stats: 238/212/180 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 45%

Quote:
(Only thing I really miss is my beer! )

mwallace

Michelob makes a beer called Ultram that is only I think 2-3 carbs per bottle. Check to see if you can find it.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Aug-05-02, 17:39

Stats: 234/245/145 Female 5'7"
BF:99%I'm pretty sure
Progress: -12%
Default Vacation...

Great, you won't blow it by going on vacation. Eating out a lot, you have the right idea. I ask them to sub my fries for a salad and I don't care if they charge me a $1.00 extra!- I'm not blowing it! The best thing about eating out is NO DISHES TO CLEAN!!! I can enjoy my whole meal now just thinking of that! There are so many dishes sometimes with this WOL! - Also, if I'm in the car a lot I can cut up cheese and a beef stick (like Hillshire farm) and snack on that. MMM and filling.

Have a great trip!
Carianne