Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Aug-01-02, 23:35

Plan: IN LIMBO!!!!!
Stats: 145/137/126
BF:28.3%/22%/18%
Progress: 42%
Default Clinical Commentary: Westman Study of a High-Protein, Low-Carbohydrate Diet

Is it just me, or has it always been this big? Every time I turn around there seems to be someone else saying somethin'. I was hesitant to even post because it's becoming redudant!
A point for us, a point for them, a point for us......
here goes anyway...
Clinical Commentary: Westman Study of a High-Protein, Low-Carbohydrate Diet

from Medscape Family Medicine
Posted 07/19/2002
Charles Vega, MD

Obesity continues at epidemic levels in the United States, with no sign of slowing down. Over the years, many different types of specialized diets have been advocated to help curb this pervasive disorder. One of the more popular diet regimens is the low-carbohydrate, high-protein diet. The scientific data about this diet have been derived from short-term studies with small sample sizes.
The Westman[1] study examines the effects of such a diet over a 6-month period in 41 participants. The results of the study are promising, with an average weight loss of 10.3% per person and an average decrease in fat mass of 17.1%. Moreover, subjects in the protocol had significant reductions in LDL cholesterol and total cholesterol/HDL ratios. All of these benefits were derived without any serious adverse events.

These benefits are even more interesting considering that many participants did not follow the study protocol. Only 37% of subjects reported adherence to the diet at 6 months, although diet adherence was 66% at 2 weeks. Only 51% of participants followed the recommendation to exercise 3 or more times per week. These data reflect a certain "real world" quality in the study, as similar nonadherence could be expected in the clinical setting.

The Westman study was limited by the lack of a control group, especially given the fact that other interventions besides the diet (exercise counseling, nutritional supplements) were offered to participants. However, among study subjects, weight loss correlated with diet adherence, but did not correlate with exercise or supplement use.

Overall, this is an exciting study that offers hope for patients with obesity. The benefits of significant reductions in LDL cholesterol and in total cholesterol/HDL ratios may also have wider implications for general dietary recommendations concerning fat and carbohydrate intake. The low-carbohydrate, high-protein diet seems effective for healthy subjects for at least 6 months. Further research will be necessary to determine the long-term adverse events of such a diet, as well as whether weight loss is maintained over time.

Funding Information
Charles Vega has no financial interests to disclose.

Charles Vega, MD, Assistant Clinical Professor, Associate Residency Director, Department of Family Medicine, University of California - Irvine, Orange, California
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Aug-02-02, 09:59

Plan: TSP/PPLP/low-cal/My own
Stats: 250/209/150 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%

What's nice about this is that "significant reductions in LDL cholesterol and total cholesterol/HDL ratios" means that the HDL did not go down with the LDL, which is the case with low-fat diets. I think this is going to be the major win point for low-carbing.

;-Deb