Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jul-31-02, 11:41

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 351/316/160
BF:
Progress: 18%
Default Artificial Sweetners

Since I started induction a week ago, I have not had my normal urges to eat when the sun goes down. I have eatten only those foods in induction that are allowed and have not felt hungry or even an URGE to eat late night snack foods. However just the past couple nights I have added jello (made with artificial sweetner) topped with whipped cream (homemade no sweetner or flavoring added) for a dessert and I have been feeling the need to eat after I eat the jello.

Is this part of the "carbohydrate addicts" problem? Has anyone else found this to happen when adding artificial sweetners into the picture?

Thanks for the listen.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jul-31-02, 11:51

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Re: Artificial Sweetners

Quote:
Originally posted by damaraq
Is this part of the "carbohydrate addicts" problem?

Most definitely. Even when using something that does not contain sugar you can fall victim to the cravings. You body seems to have decided that 'if it tastes sweet then it must be sweet'.

Artificial sweeteners are a YMMV (your milage may vary) thing - looks like your body has decided you're not going to get much milage

Nat
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jul-31-02, 12:26

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 351/316/160
BF:
Progress: 18%

Thanks for the reply Nat!

One more question...does this mean my body is metabolizing artificial sweeteners as it would regular sugar??? Possibly raising my insulin too as regular sugar would?
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jul-31-02, 12:52

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Yes, it is the insulin that causes the cravings / surge in appetite. You can read more about this under the "Low Carb Tips" section - atop every page in orange highlight. There are two articles by Doreen, "Aritifical Sweeteners" and "Sugar Alcohols" - both touch on how they can effect some people.

Nat