Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jul-30-02, 15:24

Plan: my own??
Stats: 155/155/130 Female 5'7
BF:25/20/16
Progress: 0%
Question Summer heat and metabolism?

i was wondering if anyone knew the answer to my question if your metabolism is elevated by a rise in outside temp? I tend to lose weight more easily in the summer than the winter. I'm not sure weather its beacuse of the heat or maybe because I'm more determined to get my body to bikini shape. I notice a post awhile ago about this topic, but I can't seem to find it. Nat I believe you posted something about this topic.. can you answer my questoin? thanks

Piera
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jul-30-02, 18:01

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 300/225/150
BF:
Progress: 50%

In one way, you are correct about summer weight going faster. But it's got more to do with the amount of sunlight than the temps. Your pituitary is stimulated by longer daylight hours and intensity of the exposure. As the master gland, the pituitary influences the functioning of every other organ and your endocrine system, including your thyroid. You may think it's all in your bikini mind, but I think it's more in your summer-lighted brain!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jul-30-02, 19:37

Plan: pregnancy
Stats: 235/212/165
BF:
Progress: 33%

not to mention there are more holidays in the winter
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jul-30-02, 19:43

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

I think the post you're referring to was one I made in Lesley's journal (akiwican). I'm the exact opposite. I've always gained or maintained in the summer and the fat just melts off me in the winter. My take on it is twofold:
  • In the summer I am more likely to have a glass of wine or a beer, something I may do 3 or 4 times a year during the other 3 seasons
  • The heat and the humidity - they cause water bloat like crazy. I'm fine while I'm home in the mornings or at night, but 40 minutes on a hot stinky bus? It doesn't matter how much water I drink!

These are just my observations, however, and they are Pre-LC observations. My LC summer update is that I am still shrinking .
Nat
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jul-30-02, 22:12

Plan: my own??
Stats: 155/155/130 Female 5'7
BF:25/20/16
Progress: 0%
Default looks like I'll be heading south more often

I'm considering scheduling my vacations to the sunny south in the winter, now that I know how sunlight affects us heehee. I truly believe in the sunlight theory...sunlight stimulates energy, mood, and a sense of well being..well for that is. So both psychologically and physiologically I think the sun's light really can improve weightloss and energy levels. thanks for the input

and Nat congrats on your continued LCarbing success. I however am not at all more apt to drinking alcohol in the hot summer months. I crave it more in the cold winter months when I get the chills, but thats just me And like you i am still shrinking even though its humid and sticky outside...the Low carbing is really been a saviour for my past bloat problems. Even when its PMS time I'm in great condition. Now we have all the more reason to enjoy and look forward to hot summer weather YAAAAAAAA.

Piera
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jul-31-02, 11:24
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:

Hey Gottamove: I notice the same thing. I lose weight very easily in summer. I think it's mainly because of what Thinny said - I get SAD in winter and I just want to eat and sleep all the time. In summer, I sleep a lot less and I have a ton of energy.

Heat itself can raise your metabolism, too. If you compare exercising in cold weather compared to hot, you burn more energy doing it in the hot weather because your heart has to work a lot harder, pumping your blood right to the skin surface to be cooled. As well, you sweat way more, feel more dehydrated and this (at least for me) takes away from appetite.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jul-31-02, 11:47

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:

My take was always this:
  • the bulk of the calories used by your basal metabolism is to keep body temp at 98 degrees. This takes more 'energy' in the winter when the environment is naturally cooler.
  • In the summer, to keep cool, our bodies sweat / perspire. This involves losing water - excessive sweating will result in scale weight loss, but it's water, and it comes back when you rehydrate.

I guess my anlogy is akin to the merits of drinking ice water over room temperature water - one takes more calories to use.

In the end it always boils down to one thing: Whatever works for you.
Nat
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jul-31-02, 12:17

Plan: low glycemic
Stats: // Female jkl
BF:
Progress: 69%

For me, I always lost inthe summer and gained in the winter. Summer was hotter (kills my appetite til sundown), and I was more active. Kinda hard to play badminton in the snow, eh? Even though summer foods included things like sweet corn, strawberries, watermelon, grilled steak or burgers, it still meant fewer carbs than winter. Winter was slow cooked roasts with mashed potatoes and (flour) gravy, mac and cheese, tater tots, hot chocolate, hot fruit cobbler with cream, barley stew, waffles, plus all the holiday goodies. Add to that less activity due to being snowbound and getting more sleep due to it not being light as long and you get more lbs.

Now in CA, I still see some seasonal variation, but much less strong.

Cheers,

Friday