Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jul-25-02, 06:21

Plan: Adkin's
Stats: 153/150/135
BF:
Progress: 17%
Angry Induction but no weight loss

I have just completed 2 weeks of induction but have only lost about 3 pounds. I thought it was supposed to be more than this.... Granted I only have about 15-20 pounds to lose but still! I'm getting discouraged already. This diet is very hard to stay on if you're not seeing any results. Everyone has told me the weight will just melt off. What am I doing wrong?????????
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jul-25-02, 07:05

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 170/139/130 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%

It is all relative - if a person has 100 pounds to lose and loses 10% of that during induction - they will have lost about 10 pounds. If a person has 15 pounds to lose and they lose 10% - they will have lost 1.5 pounds.
You are doing great - try not to compare yourself to other people - your body will reduce in size at the right rate for you.
As far as "what are you doing wrong", have you started a journal? Listing everything you eat and drink there allows others to critique your intake. It is also a great motivational tool. Keep up the good work.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jul-25-02, 11:05

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 152/149/130
BF:
Progress: 14%

Hi Jesigirl!

I am in my second week of induction and have only lost 3 lbs as well (and that was in the first 2 days). I haven't lost an ounce since then. I was getting discouraged as well.

I too have only 20 lbs to lose. Maybe this is a factor. Hey, since our weight loss goals are similar, I'll help encourage you if you help encourage me . . . looks like we're both might be relatively "slow losers"! It already helped me just to hear someone else is experiencing the same thing I am.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jul-25-02, 12:26

Plan: mostly paleo
Stats: //
BF:also don't care
Progress: 100%

be patient and your body will balance out to the weight it should be. The current standards of "beauty" for women are far too thin for health, and unfortunately most of us judge ourselves by those.

Eat plenty of LC veggies, healthy meat, eggs, some cheese, nuts, and seeds. Don't go hungry. Drink water and nothing but water...and in six months, whatever the scale says is what you should weigh for optimal health.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jul-25-02, 14:16

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%
Default Something else...

The close you are to your goal weight, the slower the weight will generally come off. Everyone loses at different rates, so comparing your weight loss to someone else's will only get you frustrated. Keep up with what you're doing; it sounds like you are right on target.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jul-26-02, 10:38
Registered Member

Stats: 170/145/140 Female 5ft 7.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 83%
Default Slow weight loss here too.

I was getting a bit worried as I have been on the induction for just over a week, and in total I have lost about a pound. The anoying thing was that I was hopeing to ahve lost a little more.

I weighed my self after day Two (after actually purchasung some scales) and have been taking this as my original basis. Then over the next few days I began to feel as if I was loosing weight, my trousers from the weigh in date were looser. At this stage I had actually got my partner to hide the scales, otherwise I get preocupied with jumping on them every second of the day. And then towards the end of the week I weigh my self to find that I have only lost a pound. And the weigh in trousers fit snug as ever.

Is it usual not only to loose a small amount of weight, but even put some of the loss back on again?.
Am I over doing it on the food?
Should I reduce the carbs, or is weight loss likely to be greater on the second week?.

My partner says that I am a 'Worry Bucket'.

But I just thought I would enquire as the friendly people on this site are fountains of knowledge.

Thanks

Bungle.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jul-26-02, 13:54
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess
Progress: 13%
Default Protein intake

I was just doing a mini-refresher (re-reading) Protein Power over the lunch hour and read how it is not that unusual for people to have small losses or even gain a pound or two at first. The reason is that your protein intake is probably much higher than it has been for a long while and your muscles are using it to re-build your lean body mass. This is a good thing. Muscle requires a higher metablism!

Don't worry. Stick to the plan (by the letter) and the weight will come off (IF, as Razzle suggests, your body agrees with your idea of ideal weight). If you only have 10-30 lbs to lose, be ready to exercise a great deal of patience. And remember....it's a way of life, not a diet!! (Gawd I sound like a broken record!)
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jul-26-02, 22:08

Plan: Old School Atkins
Stats: 000/000/170 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Bungle, I've had the exact same experience.

I know for a fact (medical background) that it is physiologically impossible to build muscle simply by eating more protein. Plus I'm not exercising yet.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Jul-27-02, 01:17
Registered Member

Stats: 170/145/140 Female 5ft 7.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 83%

Thanks for all the advice and information, and also the encouragement.

Even without much weight lose, I'm felling so much better in my self, and can concentrate so much better.

So for this reason alone I shall deffinately keep with it.

Regards
Bungle.

#10   ^
Old Sat, Jul-27-02, 08:29
Starting Over!

Great Bungle!! Keep in touch ....visit and post often!! You'll find that this forum is a fantastic source of support all through your experience. We're glad to help in any way we can!
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Jul-27-02, 11:11

Plan: atkins
Stats: 208/198/150
BF:
Progress: 17%
Angry help!

hi everyone, this is my first post so i'm a bit nervous about "doing it right!". I've been on induction for a week and have also not lost any weight. i'm feeling VERY discouraged. i had gotten into ketosis but went out last night to a chinese restaurant and orded a dish with no sugar in the sauce and when i tasted it is tasted sweet to me, but by then i didn't want to make a fuss and sure enough when i checked my pee this morning i was back to trace. does anyone have any words of advice for me. should i be measuring my veggies? i am also having wild carb cravings.
-denise
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Jul-28-02, 14:46
Starting Over!

First of all, a "trace" reading on your ketostix is all you need to know you're in ketosis. Actually, a reading any darker than that CAN mean you're dehydrated.... so don't worry about it. You're doing fine.

Wild carb cravings are simply a part of carb withdrawal and the only way to get through it is just to push on. Try drinking a big glass of water. Sometimes brushing my teeth helps me.

As for not losing weight after a week, all I can say is to make sure you're eating very strictly according to your chosen plan and hang in there. It'll happen eventually.

You can measure your veggies if you're not sure what a cup of veggies looks like on your plate... After induction you won't have to be so strict.

Good luck!
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Jul-28-02, 16:08
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, BFL
Stats: 180/165/130
BF:36.6/36.6/21
Progress: 30%
Talking stalled weight loss

Thank you, thank you, thank you. I too am a new believer in the LC way of life. I am currently doing Atkin's and am on my 16th day. Now I realize that I am right on track. I lost 10 punds by 7 days. But I have not lost anything since. I was getting very frustrated becasue I am in "purple" kitosis-wise. I have not cheated and I am not finding this new way of eating terribly difficult. But still, no weight loss in 10 days! Now, I will relax and keep doing what I'm doing. Hopefully it will come off eventually. Thank you for your wonderful words of encouragement!