Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jul-25-02, 05:36

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 207/178/140 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 43%
Default Aspertame Intolerance - How long to tell?

Dr A suggests that we not use aspertame as it can lead to stalls in many people, but can anyone tell me how long it would take for this to show up?

eg, My husband had an aspertame-flavoured soda the other day - he is still losing about 1 lb per day (sometimes more), but how long would it take for stalls to show up? Can he continue the odd "fix", and just wait and see?

I'm concerned about the aspertame in my sugar free jello (about 1 portion every 2-3 days), and I would one day like to be able to drink diet coke in moderation (like when we go out - I don't want to be on water forever!)

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks
Dawn
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jul-25-02, 08:29

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 326/280/155 Male 5'6
BF:37
Progress: 27%

it's very true that aspartame will cause some people to stall. The exact amount of time you consume aspartame to the stall is unknown because it's different for eveyone.

Here's some advice that I received. Stick to water...lots of it. You'll eventually grow to love it!!!

If you are dying to have a soda, do not get aspartame products....aspartame will cause you to crave suger and other real sugar products. There's a soda that uses Splenda and that's Diet Rite.

I went to Sam's and bought a crate. I had a sip of DIet Rite. It was sooo sweet I had to mix it with water!!!! I am so use to aspartame that when I drank something with splenda in it, it was shocking!! Shocking but good.

You should give diet rite a shot
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jul-25-02, 08:36
Registered Member

Plan: Shark Cycle Plan
Stats: 410/323/250
BF:
Progress: 54%

I'm going to be a dissenting voice here, but I don't think aspertame is the devil........if it keeps you away from sugared drinks. If I had to just drink water I'd go mad, I'm not Tom Hanks stranded on a desert island..........Wilson! Where are you

If you only average losing 1/2 lb per week so what In five years that's 130 lbs

I tried Diet Rite, but it doesn't have any caffeine......how am I supposed to stay awake at work
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jul-25-02, 08:40

Stats: 207/178/140 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 43%

I would try DietRite in a second, but I live in the UK and you can't get it here (I used to live in Canada, and I don't think they sell it there either).

You can't get Splenda here either (unless you spend the equivalent of $9 a box, plus another $7-9 for shipping!)

On the plus side - today I saw a post mentioning Virgin Cola, sweetened with Splenda. Virgin Cola is British, so I'm off to the store after work today to see if it's the same recipe! (wish me luck!)

I don't want to get hooked on the sweet stuff again, but it would be really nice (especially when it's hot) once and a while. I am not a water-drinker (well, I am now!) but sometimes I just can't get enough down and a change always seems to help.

Here's hoping diet jello doesn't stall me... so far it's one of my only "sins" (that, and 4 glasses of aspertame flavoured water over 3 weeks).

Cheers
Dawn
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jul-25-02, 09:40

Stats: 246/221/200 Male 6'0"
BF:27%/25%/12%
Default Glad I saw this post

I really had no idea that Dr. A suggested that we stay away from Aspertame nor did I have any idea that it could cause a stall. (I just skimmed the book really) I really think that I am in the middle of a stall because I really haven't lost anything at all this week. As a matter of fact, I feel like I might have added one or two. Even with going to the gym every day and doing 30 minutes of INTENSE cardio. I usually go around 5:30 to 6:30am.

So the changes I think I'm going to make right now are:

1. No more Diet Dr. Pepper.
2. Eat more chicken and fish.
3. Stagger my workouts
4. Decrease my carbs (per the book) I think my MR is high.

Thanks for the good info.

-Rick
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jul-25-02, 10:36
Registered Member

BF:
Default Re: Glad I saw this post

Quote:
Originally posted by Rhollmer
I really think that I am in the middle of a stall because I really haven't lost anything at all this week. As a matter of fact, I feel like I might have added one or two.

One week isn't a stall.....this can be explained by water retention or building muscle. Now when you don't lose after a MONTH of strict dieting come back again
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jul-25-02, 11:08
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess
Progress: 13%

Right.... a stall is defined as 6 weeks with no loss on the scale OR measuring tape. You have measured, haven't you???
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jul-25-02, 13:24

But I want instant results! Right now! I spent 3 years putting it on and I want it gone in 3 weeks! hehe

Thanks for the response!
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jul-25-02, 14:19
Registered Member

BF:

You sound like that Veruka Salt chick in the Willy Wonka movie "Where's my Golden Ticket, Damn it!!"
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jul-25-02, 14:20

I feel more like the kid that fell into the chocolate milk pond!
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Jul-26-02, 08:05
Registered Member

Stats: 165/140/130
BF:
Progress: 71%
Talking I forget...

Just so y'all know, I may not be stalling with the aspartame I put in my coffee every morning but I have the oddest feeling that my short-term memory is being affected. I'm only 26, and yet I've started to lose trains of thought more and more often. Kind of like, "uh...what was I just gonna do?" I've never used any fake sugar before this diet, so it is plausible that this stuff is the reason.

Oh well -- I've moved from cream and sugar to black w/ Sweet n' Low (all the creamer in the office is nasty powdered stuff w/ carbs). I guess eventually I can go straight black and get my memory back

-Jinkster
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Jul-26-02, 09:55
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 293/281.5/160
BF:
Progress: 9%
Smile Diet Coke W/ Lemon

I love Diet Coke with Lemon and I drink a can or two everyday and have had no problems.....I think it just affects everyone differently. I also drink Fresca, Barq's Diet Rootbeer and have not noticed any problems or cravings.

On the flip side ~ I also drink at least 5 liters of water a day at a minimum. (Hmmm ~ do you think my weight loss has anything to do with running to the rest room all day? )
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Jul-25-04, 12:57
Registered Member

Stats: 196/171/140 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 45%
Default I'm glad I found this thread

I have been so frustrated with Atkins because I lost 8lbs first week and then NOTHING for 3 weeks. I decided to take a break and try low fat low sugar for the week. The thing is I feel hungry all the time after 2 days! On Atkins I never feel hungry. So anyway the reason I am so miffed is I did Atkins before and lost weight pretty easily. I dropped 25 pounds in about 5 months maybe not a ton but it kept coming off without stalling. But one thing different I remember is I drank Diet Right or Hansens for a soda. I did not drink other diet sodas and it must be because Atkins says to avoid it. I have forgotten this in my current Atkins plan. I have been drinking a ton of water but also drinking lots of Diet Pepsi and coke! I think I will drop them immediately and switch to Diet Rite again when I need a pop. I will try this for a few weeks and see if there is a change. Wish me luck!!
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Jul-25-04, 15:18
Registered Member

Plan: Neandrathin
Stats: 220/220/190 Male 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn Renee
My husband had an aspertame-flavoured soda the other day - he is still losing about 1 lb per day (sometimes more)....

Kind of OT, but that seems like too much to be healthy.