Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jul-25-02, 10:01

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 246/221/200 Male 6'0"
BF:27%/25%/12%
Progress: 54%
Default Friends doing Atkins Diet - But cheating

Okay - so I started doing the Atkins diet a few weeks ago. Within a week people started commenting that I was losing weight. (Water weight I'm sure) But none-the-less, a couple of my buddies here at work started Atkins because of that. One is doing great, and in fact is losing more than I am. But the other guy is constantly professing that he is being "VERY STRICT" about Atkins. But "in the last week and a half, I have gained 11 pounds! Your diet SUCKS, Rick!!"

Okay - first things first. He HASN'T been sticking to the diet. When he told me that on the second day into the diet he went to the "Black-eyed Pea" and got the chicken fried steak with corn, mashed potatoes and gravy, (and this boy LOVES rolls). He told me that he picked all of the breading off of the chicken fried steak and just ate one bite of the potatoes. Then we went to our local electronic store Fry's. If anyone has every been to Fry's Electronics, you all know about the isle of temptation that they place before you at the checkout. I'm talking every chip and candy known to man. This would make Willey Wonka blush. And I am able to walk through and not budge an inch. But of course my friend goes for the gum... (SUGAR). Then on the way back to his place, I stopped off at McDonalds for a Dbl 1/4 pounder (no bread of course) and a large water. My friend has to get the LARGE DR. PEPPER!. Then for dinner we went to Chilli's. I got the chicken Fajitas and unsweet tea. He got the steak and yellow and green veggies. AND BREAD that he took a bite of.

Now I have told him that a single taste of this stuff is the "kiss of death" on this diet. But he insists that he hasn't cheated enough to make himself gain 11 pounds. But I explained that if he has taken in a good amount of fat like the diet requires, but he is also taking in some sugar, the body has no reason to burn the fat. It's going to burn the sugar first. And all of that extra fat is most likely going to store itself away.

I have given him the Atkins book and I am encouraging him in every way I can. Between my other friend and myself, we have lost a collective total of about 31 pounds. How could we lose and he gain without cheating?

How should I help encourage this guy? He is ADDICTED to foods and sugar. (I know - I know. He has to want to help himself. Any other suggestions?)

-Rick
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jul-25-02, 10:08

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

It doesn't sound like you can do anything else than what you have already done.

He is in denial. Plain and simple. If he swears that he is following the diet and yet ordering Dr Pepper and eating bread, well.....I don't know what to tell you.

It isn't your fault. Other than next time he says "I am gaining weight your diet sucks" to simply state, where in the book does it say you can take a bite of bread and drink a large Dr Pepper? The diet does work but not if you continue to eat stuff not listed on those 4 pages of induction so it's YOUR fault not the diet.

You are not his keeper. He has to follow the diet for himself, you can not force him. He has to want to lose weight and follow the plan.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jul-25-02, 10:12

This guy is 6'4" and 340. You tell him. haha

Good advice. Kinda what I am feeling. Denial is exactly what it is.

-Rick
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jul-25-02, 11:14
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess
Progress: 13%

Give him the web address for this wonderful BB community you've found Suggest to him that he poke around for some good information IF he's really interested in losing weight. Otherwise, let him be. You can lead a horse to water.......

Congratulations to YOU, by the way!!
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jul-26-02, 00:36
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 180/160/160 Male 5.7
BF:
Progress: 100%
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by TeriDoodle
You can lead a horse to water.......

Quote:
Originally posted by Rhollmer
Denial is exactly what it is
It looks like the water he's been led to so far is... denial and he can't drink from it because, as we all know... "Denial is not a river in Egypt!"
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jul-26-02, 06:35

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

Quote:
Originally posted by Rhollmer
This guy is 6'4" and 340. You tell him. haha

Good advice. Kinda what I am feeling. Denial is exactly what it is.

-Rick

Yeah! Give him our web address and let me at him!

I have never been shy about gently pointing out what people are eating that is a no no on the induction list

Like I said, all you can do is continue on your path and set the example. Some people just don't realize what they are eating or doing. You could always joke next time he orders that large dr pepper "hey dude, that isn't on the diet you know". Over the year I have seen people swear they are "staying true" or "by the book" on the diet and yet they cheat every single week and they forget. That is why journals are so great. They record those cheats or slips to where you can go back and look at just how many times you actually have goofed. It is very sobering. But it also identifies why people have problems losing and points out how they themselves can correct the problem by bringing it to their attention.

#7   ^
Old Fri, Jul-26-02, 07:58
Registered Member

Stats: 165/140/130
BF:
Progress: 71%

Man, I cringed when I saw he ordered a large Dr. Pepper. That ONE DRINK pretty much contains all the carbs I can have in a WEEK!! I shudder to think what kind of awful sugar hangover I would have if I even had a swallow of that stuff now. Thank goodness for my new WOL!

-Jinkster
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jul-26-02, 09:43
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess
Progress: 13%

Quote:
Originally posted by Jinkster
Man, I cringed when I saw he ordered a large Dr. Pepper. That ONE DRINK pretty much contains all the carbs I can have in a WEEK!! I shudder to think what kind of awful sugar hangover I would have if I even had a swallow of that stuff now. Thank goodness for my new WOL!

HA! I did too.... kinda made me feel nauseous and tired just thinking about it! Thank you, Dr. Atkins!!!!
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Jul-26-02, 12:46

Plan: Suzane Somers
Stats: 375/342/160
BF:
Progress: 15%

Does he have the book? It sounds like he doesn't know just how bad all of that is for him. You can take yourself out of the "blame" loop by just giving him the book. When you do, simply tell him that you are concerned that he may be hurting himself by doing it half way.

Then, it's all on him.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Jul-26-02, 13:30

Default Good clean fun

Being a guy, I have to be immune to wanting carbs now. I have a couple of friends on Atkins with me and we like to... "Challenge" each other. For instance: We go to lunch at Spring Creek BBQ. Walking my tray down the line, my buddy asks me if I want some of that choclate or apple pie. "Sure does look good, doesn't it?" (of course he's on Atkins too) - So when I get my food (ribs - no sauce) I go ahead and get the roll that he put back. Then when we are paying for our food I look over and go, "Dude! Look at that guy dressed like Elvis walking out". He turns to look and gains a nice buttery roll on his plate. hehe The cashier thought that was hillarious!

-Rick
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Jul-26-02, 13:30

Plan: Lower Carb/glycemic foods
Stats: 179.5/163.5/125 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 29%
Default He may not be ready yet.....

I think you really need to be ready for this diet in order to make it work. Your concerns over your health, state of mind and appearance need to outweigh your urge to splurge. One must go on a diet for themselves. Advice to someone who really cares is great. Advice to someone who really doesn't gets translated into naggin.

Quote:
But he insists that he hasn't cheated enough to make himself gain 11 pounds

Well, no matter how much he insists, he is not following the program and that is enough to gain 11 pounds.

I hope your friend finds a WOE that he can stick to. I hope it is low carb, but he has to be ready and realize his health is more important than a Dr. Pepper.

Kristi