Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.K.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jul-17-02, 08:54

Plan: The New High Protein Diet
Stats: 178/174/140
BF:
Progress: 11%
Default Splenda equivalent?

Does anyone know if there is an equivalent to Splenda in the UK?

I've just read the recipe for cinnamon pecans and I think they'll really satisfy my sweet craving....

Thanks

Hils
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jul-19-02, 18:07
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Hi Hils,

I have moved your question to the U.K. forum, so our U.K. members may have some suggestions for you.

Wa'il
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jul-20-02, 02:15

Plan: Atkins & Schwarzbein
Stats: 234/157/90 Female 4' 6"
BF:56.4%/38.8%/23.9%
Progress: 53%
Exclamation Splenda Equivalent

Hi Hils

Whilst I try to minimise my use of artificial sweetners in my cooking I have used Hermestas Gold granules which is suitable for cooking. I got mine in Sainburys on the top shelves above the granulated sugar. You need to look carefully at the sweetners there as most are designed to put in your tea or coffee, but not suitable for subjecting to additional heat.

The debate on Splenda in this country goes on and in earlier UK threads there is information on this. You can now buy splenda in the UK, but mainly through internet sites. If you particularly want to get hold of some, then a bit of surfing of UK sites should get you there. However, I suspect it will be a lot more expensive than Hermestas Gold, which I believe is aspartamane.

Hope you find something to satisfy your sweet tooth. Be aware that too many nuts can also stall you.

Have a good weekend.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jul-22-02, 12:41

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 73/58/57
BF:
Progress: 94%
Thumbs down Would not recommend Splenda

I've read some pretty negative things about splenda - enough to put me off using it or Aspartame for that matter. Read about Splenda Dangers if you are interested.

Stevia is a natural sweetener but it is mostly available via internet sites. You could use the search facility to find threads which show some of these sites.

I allow myself a half spoon of honey once in a blue moon rather than resort to artificial sweeteners. Or some strawberries.

The best way to satisfy sweet cravings is not to give in to them - it does get easier the longer you travel down this road.

Sorry if this does not really anwer your question.
Take care,
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jul-22-02, 12:48

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 160/143/130 Female 5'6"
BF:32/*?!*!!/20
Progress: 57%

I avoid aspartame, but I do use Splenda, which I mail order from Carblife (www.carblife.co.uk). They only seem to sell the sort in the little packets. They have a flat rate £5 postage, so it pays to buy lots of things at once - they sell the most delicious LC chocolate, though it has dire effects if you eat too much at once!lol.
I don't use Splenda often, but if I make almond muffins or chocolate coconut mockdanishes, I use it.
I agree with the idea that its probably better to wean ourselves off sweet things, which by and large I have, but its nice to have the occasional treat!
Hope this is helpful, Jay