Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jul-16-02, 13:08

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 175/161/155
BF:
Progress: 70%
Default Dr. Sears on NBC Dateline 7/19 (Tuesday)

Just received this in email from DrSears.com. For North American viewers. Seems to be a bumper crop of TV coverage on low-carb this week.

>>DatelineNBC (Tuesday at 10:00pm) will interview Dr. Sears for his response to the recent New York Times article, "What if it's all been a big fat lie?" that validates Dr. Sears' Zone science. For the past 25 years, Americans have been guinea pigs as part of a great experiment based on the flawed assumption that high-carbohydrate diets were healthy. Now Dateline says the emperor has no clothes.<<
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jul-16-02, 13:27
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

This is a very busy week, with ABC, CBS, and NBC all covering the same article and low-carb diets!

Wa'il
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jul-16-02, 18:00

BF:
Default Correction: Dateline program on 7/16

My Bad; the program is Tuesday, 7/16, not 7/19.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jul-17-02, 06:57

Stats: 207/178/140 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 43%
Default Great piece on Dateline NBC!

Fabulous article just came up on the site for Dateline NBC:

http://www.msnbc.com/news/780727.asp

I love the part when he talks about breaking into a Sizzler! (that would be me!)

I live in the UK now and really miss this show! It's on occasionally at 1 am, but I never remember to tape it. I would have loved to have seen this episode.

Thought I'd share
Dawn
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jul-17-02, 07:18

Stats: 196/137/130 Female 65.5
BF:Unknown
Cool

Dawn,

I saw it as well. Its great inspiration to see a show in the mainstream touting our WOL! It gives me a lot of hope to see how successful he has been (and happy too). The bonus was that my husband had to hear it because we were watching together inn bed. More positive reinforcement for him!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jul-17-02, 07:22

Stats: 242/203.5/140 Female 64 inches (5' 4'')
BF:
Progress: 38%

Good story. I got a really big chuckle about him breaking into Sizzlers! (Steak house)
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jul-17-02, 10:15

Plan: low carb
Stats: 146/132/130
BF:
Progress: 88%
Thumbs up

I thought I would faint with JOY with I heard Josh Mankiewicz blast wrinkled face/bloated belly Ornish! When Josh ticked off some of the vile, putrid recipes in Ornish's cookbook I was ROFLMAO! Josh looked healthy, trim, vibrant and happy while Ornish looked like a bloated grey ghost exhumed from his grave.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jul-17-02, 10:39

Stats: 240/205/145 Female 5' 9-1/2"
BF:
Progress: 37%

All I can say is "Wow!" That was the first time I ever saw a story on television that presented the LC WOE in such positive terms; of course it took someone living the LC WOE to do it. Admittedly he focussed on being able to eat his favorite food, steak, but he did at least mention eating salad on induction and then adding additional veggies later.

The best part was when the reporter was interviewing Dean Ornish; the difference in the way they looked was proof in itself, IMHO. Ornish looks terrible; like someone on a low-fat low-protein torture diet, whereas the LC reporter had that positively healthy glow we all see now when we look in the mirror.

And it was refeshing to see Ornish grilled instead of being allowed to make whatever outrageous claims he wants without being challenged. He did not look happy.

Now the low-fat people will say that it was not an unbiased report because the reporter is a low carber, but he made that clear from the beginning and I'll bet the rest of the reporters who have been dumping on the LC WOE all these years were on low-fat diets.

Karla
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jul-17-02, 11:02

BF:
Default Video doesn't work

The writeup is a true transcription but I can't get the video to play.

Anyone try it successfully?
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jul-17-02, 11:08

Stats: 193/179/165 Male 68 inches
BF:26.5%
Progress: 50%

I saw the program and thought it was great. At least this time, Ornish didn't accuse Atkins and Sears of killing people.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jul-17-02, 11:22
Registered Member

Stats: 275/245/175
BF:?
Progress: 30%
Default We heard it in Canada

I just got back with my first "induction" grocery order and as I am "defending" my new WOL to my wife, I'm interupted by this Dateline piece. It was PERFECT timing for my home
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jul-17-02, 11:49
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%

For those who missed it, here's a link posted by Dawn:

http://www.msnbc.com/news/780727.asp

It has the full text, and the video. Great peice!

Wa'il
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Jul-17-02, 16:42

Plan: Atkins Now/ Candidias Control 2003
Stats: 210/203/140
BF:47%
Progress: 10%
I loved the Dateline article. I cheered and cheered. Then when I saw the steak mmmmmmmmmmmm........my mouth started watering!!!! So glad I can eat that!!
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Jul-18-02, 08:38
Registered Member

Stats: 222/168/135
BF:41/33/20
Progress: 62%
Default Taking off the pounds

Taking off the pounds
After losing nearly 50 pounds, Josh Mankiewicz weighs in with what worked for him.

By Josh Mankiewicz
NBC NEWS
July 16— Fad diets come and go. The one thing we know for sure is that if you eat too much and exercize too little, you gain weight. But eat too much of what? Suddenly we’re told by the “New York Times” that even some mainstream scientists (though still a minority) are beginning to ask — is it possible that fat isn’t the enemy afterall? ‘Dateline’ correspondent Josh Mankiewicz is not a scientist, but he has lost weight. And it wasn’t by cutting fat. He’d tells how he did it.

THIS IS DINNER. This is me. This is me having dinner. And for the last four years, this has been me losing weight.
See, for about 25 years I’ve had this love/hate relationship with food. I loved the eating part. I hated the way it made me look.
And I’m on TV, so millions see the way I look. Over the years, I tried just about every diet that came along. Some of them worked, but none of them worked for long.
Since diets were a failure, I swallowed my pride, along with just about anything else I could find, particularly if someone had taken the time to fry it. And I learned the hard way that if you stand next to certain people, you look even worse by comparison.
For about 25 years I’ve had this love/hate relationship with food. I loved the eating part. I hated the way it made me look.

Then I discovered the Atkins Diet. It’s been around for 30 years and it’s pretty simple. This is the way I used to eat: steak, salad, potatoes, bread, a Coke, and dessert. Subtract the bread. Lose the potatoes. Change the Coke to iced-tea, and do without dessert. But you keep the steak and the salad. It’s a high-fat, high protein diet. It’s exactly what we’ve been told not to eat for more than 20 years.
Dietary fat does not make you fat?
“That’s correct,” says Dr. Barry Sears.
That is a very, very difficult message for people in this country to listen to.
“It is,” says Sears.
Dr. Barry Sears is author of “The zone,” similar to the Atkins diet in that both believe the modern American low-fat, high carbohydrate diet — and all the sugar it contains — is responsible for a national epidemic of obesity. And that dietary fat —the fat you consume as part of your daily diet — is nothing to be afraid of.
There is this perception that to really lose weight, it’s got to be like taking castor oil, if not literally then figuratively.
“People think that ‘If I have to lose weight, it has to be a painful experience,’” says Sears. “But what if that wasn’t true? What if it’s a very, very easy experience?”
Fifty years ago, nearly every American ate a lot of animal protein and a lot of fat as part of a daily diet. In the 1970s, that started to change. Low-fat diets were held up as the answer to a lot of America’s problems, and bread, pasta, and grains became our best friends. Fast forward to 2002, and suddenly the rules are changing again.

“You don’t have to be a rocket scientist to walk on the streets of America to see that it’s not worked,” says Sears. “We’re eating the same amount of fat that we did 25 years ago — but far more carbohydrates.”
And are we leaner as a nation?
“No,” says Sears. “We’ve become the fattest people on the face of the earth.”
And according to Sears, here’s why. Fat and protein make you feel full. They also take longer to digest. Carbohydrates like pasta and bread are digested much more quickly and raise the body’s levels of the hormone insulin.
If you have too much insulin, you store fat more easily? “Exactly,” says Sears.
If you have too little insulin?
“Then the nutrients to the cells aren’t being delivered,” says Sears.
And you get incredibly hungry.
“Exactly,” says Sears.
Which encourages you to eat more.
“That’s correct,” says Sears.
Which explains why, for years, my weight went up and down like an elevator. None of the diets I tried did anything to keep my insulin levels stable. The result — I was always hungry. I had no family history of heart disease or diabetes, so I decided to try Atkins.
When I gave up pasta and bread and replaced them with steak, I noticed some changes right away. First of all, I started losing weight quickly — 11 pounds in the first 14 days. I couldn’t believe it. This was what Atkins calls the “induction diet” — less than 40 grams of carbohydrate a day. Just by comparison, the government recommends you eat at least 100 grams.

The other thing I noticed was that I felt great — not just because I’d lost weight, but because I realized I could stay on that diet or something close to it for a very long time. Gradually, I added some carbs like green vegetables and salads, but I kept on losing weight. I lost most of the weight in the first three months, but at the end of a year, I was down 47 pounds.
And my cholesterol is about where it was before the diet. I looked a lot better. I started dating Janet Jackson. OK, that’s not true — but my affair with steak was hot and heavy.
So many of us have lost weight on low-carb, high-protein diets, that a lot of experts are re-evaluating the whole issue of fat in the American diet. The National Institutes of Health has never been able to prove a link between dietary fat and heart disease.
But let’s face it, even though I lost the weight, I was well, worried, because there are also plenty of experts who think that Dr. Atkins is slowly killing me with every forkful of steak.
“I eat high-fat foods on occasion, but I don’t delude myself into thinking that they are good for me,” says San Francisco doctor Dean Ornish.
Ornish is author of a number of books urging all of us to eat a very low-fat, plant-based diet instead of all that steak I’ve been enjoying.

I went on the Atkins diet four years ago. I lost 47 pounds. I don’t smoke, drink, don’t take any drugs. And now I don’t eat sugar, or refined white flour or potatoes or French fries and I don’t even like pork rinds. You telling me I’m living unhealthy?
“It’s great that you’re not eating sugar and white flour,” says Ornish. “And not eating pork rinds — I support that — we are on agreement in that. And I’d love to be able to tell you that sausage and bacon and pork rinds are good for your heart. But they’re not—”
So it was bad for me to lose that weight in that way?
“You can lose weight on phen-phen, on chemotherapy. That doesn’t mean it’s good for you,” says Ornish.
Ornish and many other doctors and nutritionists say a high-protein, high-fat diet isn’t just bad for your heart. It can also increase your risk of getting some types of cancer and that a low-fat diet carries many health benefits. Ornish admits I’m eating healthier now than I used to, but says I’d do even better on his low-fat regimen.
I looked at Ornish’s book. “Mexican Summer Stew.” Vegetables baked in parchment, bean burgers, tofu stew with sweet potatoes — I can’t live on that!
“Well sure you can,” says Ornish.
Oh, I can live on it — I mean, you put me on an island with just that, I’ll live on it — but I’ll be miserable.
“No you won’t,” says Ornish. “If you worked with me, we’d find the right balance so that you could have complex carbs, some animal protein, we’d talk about meditation and other ways of managing stress.”
Meditation?
“Meditation,” says Ornish. Yoga.”

OK, it’s not that meditation, bean burgers and yoga don’t sound good, because they really, really do. I could probably do that diet — for about three days. Then the cops would arrest me for breaking into a Sizzler.
You see, if steak is a religion, this is my church. If it’s an addiction, these are my enablers. You don’t have to love steak to worship at the altar of Dr. Atkins. It works just as well with fish or chicken.
For me, the Atkins approach of filling up on protein and staying away from carbs opened a door to another way of eating — a way I could live with. And it allowed me to cut out of my diet all those harmful things.
Today I work out three or four times a week. I didn’t do it at all during that first year on Atkins. I’ve kept the weight off. Stone Phillips clearly sees me as a threat and is trying to get me to eat more desserts. OK, that’s not true either, but I am eating more complex carbohydrates these days. My diet now is much closer to the “Zone” than to Atkins.
The truth is, I thought more than once about sharing some embarrassing photos with you. I decided to do it because this diet finally changed that relationship I had with food.
And here’s the headline. I did it without suffering. I hung onto the one food that made me think I was having a real meal, so I didn’t feel like I was on a diet. So Dr. Atkins, wherever you are, thanks, and — well done!