Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jul-10-02, 10:13

Plan: Atkins/ Protein Power
Stats: 173/140/140 Female 69.5
BF:2ndX w/ Atkins
Progress: 100%
Default Is anyone on their 2nd+ time around on Atkins and have any advice?

I started lcing 10/11/01 and continued until mid-March 2002. I went from 173 to 138.5, but then stopped. My weight loss had stalled which I think was the biggest contributor to the end of lcing - I started trying fasts and even thought of switching up to Zone, etc which I think screwed up the pattern and continuity I had created. I ended up deciding to take a two week break, which has ended up being almost 4 mo. At the beginning of this week I hit 158 and decided that I should go back on. I honestly thought if I went off I would be able to maintain a nomal weight, but I began overeating and binging on all the bad foods I couldn't have on Atkins.

I hate being fat, I hate being scared to put on a bathing suit, and I hate thinking about my weight at all times of the day. I've kinda hit a low point - can you tell It's like when I was 138 I was soooo happy and confident, so I don't know why I stopped lcing. I may have set unrealistic goals for myself - both weight wise and the expectations I had for my body (ie my weight goal was 127 and I somehow thought my non-waist would turn into a 26" waist).

It's funny b/c at 173 I was unhappy, but not as unhappy as I as am 158. I guess it's because I know what I can look like.

I started kinda lcing at the beginning of this week and I hope to get back down to 138. I'm looking for any advice secondtimers (or even third or forth timers) that have on getting back into gear.

I'm constantly a statistic and I'm tired of it - I just want to be normal - whatever that may be...

Thanks for any help,
E
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jul-10-02, 10:23
Contributing Member

Plan: lowcarb .
Stats: 160/141/127 Female 5'6"
BF:it"s for SALE!
Progress: 58%

I think you answered your own question hun...this is a plan for life....no breaks or time outs...

Those of us who are on our second time around KNOW THAT THIS works OR we wouldn't be back . Most of us lost our weight...but we went back to the way of eating that caused our grief in the first place .

You may find that the weight won't melt off of you like it did the first time. It didn't with me...or alot of others. Re-read the book, get rid of all your nasty foods...and dive right in. Visit the board as often as possible as it's such a wonderful support system.

last of all...just remember..

YOU CAN DO THIS....welcome back to a healthier you!!

oh ya...start a journal and record everything you eat..it's amazing how this opens our eyes.....now go find the mayo and butter....lol

cin
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jul-10-02, 11:16

Plan: General low carb
Stats: 185/173/150 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 34%

Hi Erin, I am not only a secondtimer, but also a Memphian. It is so nice to see you here. You can do this, I know you can. I have never been 138, so I have no idea what it feels like, but I bet it is a great feeling. Just get back on and stay with this forum, it is wonderful. I was cheating a lot, and then I found this site, and now I have this new determination and I know I will get there, and so will you. Where in Memphis are you?
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jul-10-02, 11:25
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 201/195/150 Female 5'7"
BF:Too Much!
Progress: 12%

Hi Guys -

I'm a second timer who took a break that has lasted 2 years! I am back however and for good cause. I know Atkins works and I've done great in the past. But for about the past year and 1/2 I have fallen back into the anything goes trap of being a working mother. It's a lot easier to go through the drive thru or order pizza then it is to cook a chicken breast etc. My advice - cooks ahead lots on the weekends if you work. I will be glad to be your buddy if you like. I've got a much longer way to go but I know now that I have to make this a woe not just a diet in order to maintain that weight loss.

I just can't wait to get started - but I have to be ready and gear up mentally first. I am going to get my nails done and my hair colored to clean up a bit to keep the motivation. I also am going to WalMart and buying a ton of bottled water to throw in my work bag every day. This is going to be great!!! I'll add you to my buddy list and feel free to email me if you like. nb
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jul-10-02, 11:49
Registered Member

Stats: 275/237/210
BF:
Progress: 58%

For someone on his Third time (yea... third) time around... The most important thing is to have food ready...I cook most of my meals ahead of time (days.. ) and just have it all in the freezer and nuke things up all day...

That is one of the major reasons I stopped before... the availability of food. if i limit myslef.... I will have limited results...
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jul-10-02, 12:40
Registered Member

Stats: 196/179/150
BF:Ugh!
Progress: 37%

Hi Erin,

Another second-timer here...this time to stay. I can relate to your situation although my numbers are much higher than yours! I started 5 years ago at 260 (I'm 5'4"!!) and was the most depressed, miserable, self-destructive person inside with a happy round, smiling face on the outside. Those of us who have been there know that conflict.

I went on my own style of low-fat dieting and began power walking every night just to blow off some steam about being so unhappy in my body. Well, I got myself down to 175 or so. I lost the first 60 pounds in 3 months --don't anyone be envious of that -- even with the exercise, I had so much loose skin around my middle and thighs that I just had a tummy tuck last month--(the thighs will have to wait). It was NOT a good idea to lose that fast, at least for my body, but my "scale" was moving in the right direction so I didn't care about the rest of it. I had at LEAST 2 migraines every week, no real energy after a while, my skin sagged, my sugar was out of control, so was my temper, my PCOS condition was ruling my life, and after a year of this, the weight didn't even stay off!! I gained back 30 pounds S-L-O-W-L-Y... the way I SHOULD have lost it! I went on Atkins the first time out of pure despair.

Well, induction went well...lost 13 lbs. Went on OWL, the second phase, and didn't lose another ounce for weeks. I began to listen to people about "health risks" with long term LC'ing, I didn't have a "buddy" or any support system, made all the wrong choices, etc. and also didn't really get myself educated enough about the types of foods I could have and how much. I didn't understand about deducting fiber from carb counts, didn't vary my menu enough, etc. and eventually got disgusted and threw out all the meat, cheese and fats and went BACK to low-fat dieting. This time for another 3 years! Well, needless to say, I was no better off. No more weight loss, continuous health problems, energy loss, headaches, sugar ups and downs, dizzy spells when hungry, etc.

And here I am again! This time I read the entire plan all the way through, found this site and have conceded that for me, this is NOT a "diet" to lose weight quickly, but a very pleasant WOE that satisfies my hunger, gives me the kind of foods I LIKE to eat, and has taken care of nearly all my symptoms of PCOS (polycyctic ovarian syndrome). I started near the end of April...it took me 58 days to get my first headache...and that was the day after I indulged myself a HUGE piece of carrot cake!! I knew I would pay the price, and boy did I ever. It was proof enough for me.

I'm in for good now, although my numbers are lagging slowly right now...I have to remember that I did have serious surgery and that put my body into shock and recovery, which is still ongoing. (You don't lose much weight with a TT!!) After my swelling and bloating pretty much healed, I was down to 188, which gives me a net loss of around 18 lbs. Not a record breaker, but I have to remember what a quick loss did to me the first time around!! I'm in no rush, because in addition to the goal, I am enjoying the process. ALOT!!

Stay with it, hang in with us...the food list is MUCH more varied that I realized, and there is no hunger on this WOE. In addition to all that...there's health benefits and permanent weight loss. I don't know why LC'ing isn't a law by now!!

Good luck.
Donna
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jul-10-02, 13:42

Default Thanks guys...

Cinderella - Thanks for the encouragement. I hope my weight loss doesn't slow down, but if it does - I'll have to deal with it I have a journal so if you'r ever bored stop by and shout 'hello'

Tanyaskees - I'm so glad to meet someone from Memphis. Here's my brief overview...I graduated from Indiana University in May and my bf got a job with International Paper as a Systems Analyst - I saw in your profile that you're a Sr. Analyst - what company? We moved here on May 31st and we don't know anyone...not a single soul. I'm originally from Phila and he's from Chicago and when he got this job we were both worried about moving to a place where we didn't know anyone, but the job market is so bad and the IP offer was his only one. However, IP has been amazing to him (ie moving us down here, covering rent, etc). The down side is I don't have a job so for right now, I'm totally bored. I've been looking, but nothing has jumped out or bitten me We live right outside of Germantown in an apartment complex called the Preserve at South Wind. We live slightly south of the International HeadQuarters of Fed Ex. How long have you lived in Memphis? Where are you located? Can you tell I'm excited to meet someone
I found this site the day I started lcing back in Oct....it became my life, inspiration, support, etc..when I fell off the wagon...I stopped coming to the site and also put away my scale...both those things are back on the table and I'm here to stay

Catbert - I totally understand that mental pre time...I'm trying to get geared up. Good Luck.

Catbert and klaus74 - that food prep thing is gonna be such a pain, but I know I have to do it. It was like when I lcing I had never cooked before so I first spent a bunch on money for different lc recipes, etc...then I found some core items and stuck with 'em...I have totally stopped cooking...I HATE DIRTY DISHES...but I'll have to suck it up What are some of the foods you cook ahead of time? I normally made lc pancakes, meatballs - they were my fav, and lc fried chicken, broc w/ ranch, and I can remember what else - have any suggestions?

DDMariana - Wow, that's a crazy ride you've been on...I'm glad this way of eating helps your health...about that slow weight loss, have you ever read some of the old threads by lcsponge? well she was a slow loser (lol) and the fact that it took her a long time to lose the weight soldified the WOL for her. I on the other hand, lost 35 lbs in 5 months, which I thought was a really long time, but really how long did it take to form the eating habits I have now - it's gonna take the rest of my life to change them. 18 lbs is amazing - congrats

Well guys, thanks for the info. Hey, we should start a Non-New Lc Group to chat, record progress, etc. What do you think?

E
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jul-10-02, 13:59

BF:

Hey Erin, I work for FedEx. I am in Collierville location just down the street from the FedEx HeadQuarters, so not too far from where you live.
My sister works for IP and loves it. I have been living in Memphis for 20+ years. I really like it here. So now you know someone . I will PM you with my phone numbers if you want so we can talk sometime. Welcome to Memphis
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jul-10-02, 14:34

Default Hi Memphian;)

Well, that's crazy that you work down the street from me My parents came into town over the July 4th and we went to Collierville for fireworks. It's really beautiful there. My bf and I are thinking about buying a house there, but in like 3 years or so...he has to pop the question first...lol We definitely know we want to get married, but we're trying to be alittle traditional about the whole thing

I have some questions for you...I don't know if you know the answer to these questions or not, but since I don't know anyone else...
What do you think the job market is like here? And, what positions do you think are good ones to pursue? Can you tell I'm a clueless 22 year old or what? I'm so excited that I graduated from college, but now I don't know what to do. I'm mean I've only started looking since we got down here, but I haven't really found anything. Gomemphis.com has been the only place I can really look for openings. I tried calling all the recruiters (yes, all of 'em) in the area, but they want people with 3-5 years experience...something I don't really have.

What department is your sister in? My bf works in the Container division, which is located off Knight Arnold Rd - Lenox Ct. It's crazy how many IP locations there are.

Anyway, I should post a pic of my dog bc she looks a lot like yours, only mine is 7 lbs (she's a Pom). Wait I think I have a pic posted in my journal...I'll look for it. We call her the mini-husky or mini-bear...lol.

I would love to talk.

E

I found a pic of my dog from my journal, you'll have to scroll 1/2 down the page to see her. She doesn't really look like your your dog here, but she does on other occasions.
Doggy Pics

Last edited by Erin4980 : Wed, Jul-10-02 at 14:39.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jul-10-02, 17:33

Stats: 266/266/200 Male 6 feet
BF:
Progress: 0%

Do I have any advice?

You are an extremely attractive woman, if that is you in your avatar. You also look a perfect weight.

What scares me is that you feel you need to lose weight. Low carb by all means for your general health, but you don't look like you need to lose a pound. You look at goal right now.

But that is to me. And considering my progress, my advice is as useful as a catflap in a submarine.

(P.S. - know what you mean about graduating and going into the big wide world. Scary stuff).
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Jul-11-02, 00:39

Plan: atkins/PP/my own
Stats: 180/133/140
BF:sz 14/4-6/toned 4
Progress: 118%
Talking

Atkid: From my memory, I think this IS Erin at goal (138). This picture was from when she was on this board before

Erin: I know what you mean. I have just graduated, too and the job market SUCKS!!!!!! Especially here in Portland. I have been reduced because of finances to applying at Starbucks, can you believe it?? And even they don't want me LOL.

I'm inching towards 140 myself, like a snail on valium. I MAY even dip a little lower, we shall see! I am tall, like you (although you look smaller boned than me)
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Jul-11-02, 00:50

Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

Hi Erin. You lost 35 pounds in about 5 months. I am assuming 10/11 means Oct. 11. That's a LOT of fat gone in a short time. If you read the Tips and Stalls forum, you would find that a plateau is the USUAL thing after a big loss. You're just lucky that yours came after 35 pounds instead of after 10, as happens with other people. A plateau could last for 3 -8 months. But if you stay LC, you won't regain. Things in your body are not standing still when the scales don't move. Many systems are readjusting and we just have to out-wait them.

You are right about what went wrong. You treated this as a diet you could do and then forget, instead of a way of eating forever. It doesn't mean you'll never eat a high-carb or sugary or starchy thing again. Just that those will be occasional treats rather than everyday.

You've made a great decision in coming back and starting over. Hope the weight will start rolling off again soon.

PS: some of you seem to be giving out quite a bit of personal information that could be read by ANY lurker who happens on this board. It might be better to exchange exact locations and jobs in Private Messages or e-mails. Just a thought.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Jul-11-02, 07:46

BF:

Hey tofi, good point about private info, I never thought about it, thanks for pointing it put . This place feels like a second home, false sense of security.

Erin, I sent you a private message last night on how you can get in touch with me. I love your puppies, specially the little pom, sooo cute. I can't beleive you shaved him....LOL. Poor baby, all nakid and all. One of my babie sis a pom...a pom from hell.....she is soooooooooo bad.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Jul-16-02, 17:43

Stats: 205/205/130
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default The new plan

I'm back on Atkins too after a long break. This time I think I will do it a little differently. I have to take the lesser of two evils, those being fall off the wagon completely (which I know I eventually will if I tell myself I can never have high carb goodies again) or stall my weight loss once in a while by having a treat. I plan to have a carby meal (not a binge, just one thing) not more than once every two weeks so that I can stay on the program but not feel the depression I did last time because my favorite foods were gone forever. Last time I went for a long time being perfect, but eventually it all hit the fan and I went carb crazy and never recovered. It will be better this way. I wish I could be perfect, but I can't, so this plan will have to do.

Tanyaskees, is that a Sheltie in the picture? I had one for 13 years, and he died last week. I miss him so much.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Jul-17-02, 07:33

BF:

Hi csfdavis, no it is not sheltie, it is a keeshond. I have 2 of them, plus a husky and a pom. I am so sorry to hear about your loss, I know how hard it is to loose one, it's like loosing a child. I love dogs, they are so special. If you decide to get another sheltie or anything else, please consider a rescue, so many out there need homes. A very good friend of mine does sheltie rescue in Memphis, and it is really hard to believe how many pure bred dogs get dumped.... .very sad.