Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jun-30-02, 08:15

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 220/209/189 Male 167 cm
BF:
Progress: 35%
Default What About diet Coke ?

Hello List.
Am I allowed some Diet Coke during induction ?
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jun-30-02, 09:02
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess
Progress: 13%

Atkins does not allow aspartame or caffeine... Diet Coke has both. If you MUST have it, limit it to 1/day at the most. You might also look for Diet Rite Cola which is sweetened with Splenda (sucralose) which IS allowed. Again, keep it very limited....the idea is to wean yourself from sweets.... especially during induction.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jun-30-02, 09:40

Stats: 220/209/189 Male 167 cm
BF:
Progress: 35%
Default How much is a cup ?

Hello List ,
I read about everywhere that we are allowed 1cup of mushrooms, 2 cups of this and that...I downloaded the file that contains the carb counts for vegetable but it is all in cup measure.
How much is exactly a cup ?

I also have another question.It is said that we should eat every 6 hours.. do we have to ?
Usually I don't take breakfast and I'm okay with that. I stay on water and some turkish coffee (2 to 3 ) till 4pm then I have my lunch. Does it matter ?

thanks.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jun-30-02, 11:12

Plan: mix of Schwarzbein & PP;
Stats: 250/213/130 Female 5'4"
BF:Don't know!
Progress: 31%

Pierre, I am like you. I have traditionally had no interest in eating breakfast. I have found some wisdom and weight loss in forcing myself to eat breakfast, even if I don't actually feel hungry.

A cup is 8 ounces. There is probably a web site that converts USA measurements to the metric system.

I personally do not judge anyone's choices; I slowly discover what works for me. What works best for me is to avoid completely anything with any kind of artificial sweetener.

For me, it just does not work well with my personal body chemistry and might trigger cravings. I find that some effervescent waters, or "gassy waters" as they say in some European countries, are very satisfying since I enjoy carbonation.

Good luck!
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jun-30-02, 13:31

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Yes, it matters if you don't eat regularly. Breakfast is an important meal. You need it to get your fat burning furnace (also known as your metabolism) going for the day and you need to keep that furnace stoked by feeding it regularly. You shouldn't go more than 5 or 6 hours without eating except at night when you are asleep, otherwise your body starts to think there's a famine going on and begins shutting down your metabolism to conserve energy stores. Even if you're not hungry, eat a small protein snack to keep things moving along and don't make a habit of skipping meals. Once in a while is okay, but not on a regular basis. Skipping meals will not help you lose faster; it could have the opposite effect and make you lose more slowly or not at all...you need to keep your calories up to 10-12x your body weight daily and it's not a good idea to get them all at once. Same thing goes for your carb allowance; don't save it all for one meal. Spread it out evenly throughout the day.

A cup is 8 ounces liquid, but usually 4 ounces dry measure; it really depends on how dense what you are measuring is. For example, 4 oz. of shredded cheese is 1 cup, 8 oz. of water is 1 cup. Mushrooms aren't as dense as cheese, so it would take less ounces of mushrooms to equal a cup...probably 2 or 3 ounces. HTH
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jul-01-02, 19:29
Registered Member

Stats: 175/165/140
BF:
Progress: 29%

I have personally found that if I don't eat every 4-5 hours, I start to feel really crummy, almost like my blood sugar is low. I don't wait until I am ravenous to eat. I have breakfast about an hour after I get up, lunch no more than 5 hours after that, and dinner about 5 hours after that.

Again, if I don't eat enough, I feel horrible and get VERY cranky!! :-)