Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jul-01-02, 06:36
Registered Member

Plan: Personalized Plan
Stats: 146/125.7/128
BF:24.5/19.6/15%
Progress: 113%
Default Only protein after weight workout? (no fat?)

I've read in a Body Opus/CKD summary that you are to only take protein after a weight workout, no fat, just protein, because you want to deliver the protein as fast as possible to the muscles and fat will only slow it down.
Do you guys do this? I can't think of anything else but egg whites, since my shake is awfull with just water ( I don't want to add milk because I don't want to add carbs). Ofcourse I can drink the protein powder with just water if I have to.
I'm a little lost on this one, anybody has any ideas?

I started CKD today.
It's weird eating low carb again, I had to dig deep to remember some stuff and read up on theory all weekend. I printed Lyle's 20 weeks of BodyOpus diaries and lots of other info. That sure helped me on my way.

Thanks and happy CKD-ing!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jul-01-02, 08:45
Registered Member

Plan: Modified 'BODYOPUS'
Stats: 238/212/200
BF:22%/11%/7%
Progress: 68%
Thumbs up Isopure...

Yes, it's true: fat will slow down the absorption of protein (which you do not want after a workout; you want the protein to reach your muscles as fast as possible). I highly recommend 'Isopure' protein powder by 'Nature's Best' (particularly strawberry flavor). It delivers 200 calories, 0 fat, 0 carbohydrates, and 50 grams of protein per serving. Even when mixed with water it isn't half-bad. I actually look forward to drinking it and see it as a 'treat' -compared to the usual dismal array of greasy high-fat foods.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jul-01-02, 13:37

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 255/206/185
BF:
Progress: 70%
Default Re: Isopure...

Quote:
Originally posted by Zeus
I highly recommend 'Isopure' protein powder by 'Nature's Best' (particularly strawberry flavor).

Hey Zeus, I just tried the Isopure vanilla 0 carb and it's not bad.

I just might have to switch.

Bill
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jul-01-02, 14:36
Registered Member

Cool Vanilla...

I'm going to try vanilla flavor once I run out of the strawberry. Too bad chocolate flavor has 2 grams of carbohydrates (even though it's not that much...I still like having zero; that I way I don‘t have to add in the 2 grams to my daily total. Yes, I‘m pretty lazy, when it comes to stuff like that atleast).
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jul-01-02, 20:52

Plan: My Own Plan
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 6 ft 2 in
BF:
Progress: 52%

I love Isopure, but haven't tried any of the flavors Strawberry or Vanilla. I like the Blue Raspberry I get from the gym after a workout..... reminds me of gatorade!!
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jul-02-02, 01:36
Registered Member

Thanks Zeus, I live in Europe, we do have nature's best over here, but I gotta go see if I can find the 0 gr carb Isopure one.
I tried my shake last night with just water and it was fine, not delicious but sure drinkable.

I'm wondering though if the post-workout protein gets delivered to the muscles on a CKD since insulin levels are so low.

Something I read about this:
"When the body is subjected to low carb and consequently low insulin, storage of both fat AND amino acids are vastly hindered given insulin's transportation role in our bodies. Basically, those post-workout protein drinks during a typical CKD are for naught.

Is there anything we can do? Yes, and this can used for both typical CKD and my modified one. A study a few years ago showed that a mouthful of peanutbutter elevated insulin WITHOUT an increase in blood-sugar levels and hence blood glucose!! Now we can have our protein shakes and eat them too. Just take a mouthful of peanutbutter, hold it on your tongue for 1 minute, spit it out, and drink the protein shake. The insulin will drive the aminos into the muscles without inducing fat-storage. "

It sounds a bit weird to me, what do you guys think of this?
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jul-02-02, 06:13

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 255/206/185
BF:
Progress: 70%

I'm not so sure about this. It might interfere with ketosis. It seems like I read somewhere that this was comsidered a form of belimia. Be carefull with this.

Bill
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jul-02-02, 06:34
Registered Member

Well it's not so much the peanutbutter thing I worry about (that doesn't sound likely to me anyway, I think it might drop me out of ketosis) but the "Basically, those post-workout protein drinks during a typical CKD are for naught." thing.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jul-02-02, 10:19
Registered Member

Exclamation Zeus To The Rescue!...

Quote:
Well it's not so much the peanutbutter thing I worry about (that doesn't sound likely to me anyway, I think it might drop me out of ketosis) but the "Basically, those post-workout protein drinks during a typical CKD are for naught." thing.

-Ah-ha, I have the answers you're looking for, as usual . Anyways, on the 'CKD' your workouts should be scheduled for Monday, Tuesday, and Friday. There happens to be a reason for this. On Monday and Tuesday- your blood glucose will still (should) be elevated from the carb-up/supercompensation weekend. You see, the carb-up will enact or promote post-workout glycogen synthesis (at least for Monday and Tuesday). On Friday, however, your blood glucose should be particularly low that day. However, a typical 'CKD' advises you to eat some carbohydrates before the 'grand-depletion workout' (hell's workout). Your muscles will efficiently absorb all the protein/carbohydrates you can stuff into them thanks to the depleted glycogen stores, etc. However, your first post-workout meal will be efficiently transported as well because of the fact that you are NOT in ketosis (remember, you booted yourself out hours before the workout). So, you see, those post-workout protein shakes are a necessity. They are ‘naught’ bad for you (I try).

Last edited by Zeus : Tue, Jul-02-02 at 10:50.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jul-03-02, 03:42
Registered Member

Great!! That sure makes sense to me, thanks very much Zeus!