Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Jun-20-02, 15:26

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 171/135/140 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 116%

Quote:
Originally posted by Natrushka
Any green tea will do it for you, Bonnie. I've used the Earl Grey for iced tea and it's delicious. Just so long as it's not decaf you're getting the benefits (and you're still getting them with decaf, only at about 1/3 stength)

Nat

Thanks Nat...it is not decaf and will continue to make it by the gallon now

Bonnie

Last edited by Bonnie : Thu, Jun-20-02 at 16:03.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Jun-20-02, 19:54

Plan: My Own Plan
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 6 ft 2 in
BF:
Progress: 52%

Thanks for the info Nat! I havent had a chance to visit the link yet but I will when I get back on Monday. You have me interested now!!

Linda
  #18   ^
Old Sun, Jun-23-02, 23:10
amieK

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:
Default Japanese tea

I am fond of traditional Japanese green tea. Jasmine tea is lovely as well. No sweetener added, I think it would wreck the subtle flavours. But I suppose green tea may be an acquired taste.

I find green tea very diuretic and I need to make extra trips to the WC and increase my water intake to make up for it. Green tea does seem to help with my weight loss though. Whenever I drink at least 3 cups a day the scales soon report a favourable result.
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Jul-02-02, 16:21
Registered Member

Plan: modified bfl
Stats: 140/140/120
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default The price of green tea extract

Hi,

I recently purchased some green tea extract & paid $34 can. for 30 capsules (the directions say to take with meals) I find that kind of high. Does anyone know where to find this in Alberta for less?

Thanks

shae
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Jul-02-02, 17:20

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

That does seem quite high - I'd call around looking for the Herbal Select brand (most stores carry it and if they don't cary the green tea they can probably order it) I pay $9.49 for 60 capsules and they last about 3 weeks. I get mine at Bulk Bark, BTW.

Nat
  #21   ^
Old Wed, Jul-17-02, 17:28
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 166/152/120
BF:
Progress: 30%
Default Exolease (sp?)

I've been hearing about Exolease (spelling?) lately. Apparently it's flying off the shelves and it's a green tea extract. Very expensive - CDN$80 for one month's supply.

Has anyone heard about this and it's effects? Supposed to lose 2-3 lb. per week without changing diet.
  #22   ^
Old Wed, Jul-17-02, 18:25

BF:

Nope, Skinny, never heard of it.

The active constituents in green tea are a family of polyphenols (catechins) and flavonols which possess potent antioxidant activity. Tannins, large polyphenol molecules, form the bulk of the active compounds in green tea, with catechins comprising nearly 90%. Several catechins are present in significant quantities; epicatechin (EC), epigallocatechin (EGC), epicatechin gallate (ECG) and epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG). EGCG makes up about 10-50% of the total catechin content and appears to be the most powerful of the catechins – with antioxidant activity about 25-100 times more potent than vitamins C and E. A cup of green tea may provide 10-40mg of polyphenols and has antioxidant activity greater than a serving of broccoli, spinach, carrots or strawberries. A number of commercial green tea extracts are standardized to total polyphenol content and/or EGCG content.

I'm not sure what Exolease is but anything that promises those kinds of results w/o any diet change ..... I'd be a little suspicious. OK a lot suspicious

Nat
  #23   ^
Old Thu, Jul-18-02, 09:30
Registered Member

Stats: 166/152/120
BF:
Progress: 30%
Default Exolise

Natrushka, I'm with you really. But you know how we are... we'll try it once anyway. At that price, even a couple or few pounds a month would be worth it to me. Although I'm back on track losing on Atkins, any little push would be appreciated.

In Vancouver, Mark's Plaza Pharmacy on Oak Street is promoting that product, Exolise. I went to their website and the Exolise ad is the first thing you see, so ....thought you might be interested in reading more about it.

http://www.mpphealth.com/
  #24   ^
Old Sat, Jul-20-02, 16:06

Stats: 132.5/127/105
BF:
Progress: 20%
Default Stevia and green tea??

Hey Nat,
also fellow Canuck. Wondering if Morrocan Mint (President's Choice) is o.k. as it has stevia right in it. Its the only one I actually like drinking. Would be great cool on the rocks in the summer...
on a different note...finding myslef irritable ...o.k. more than my normal self after three days Atkins...you veterans experience this.?
  #25   ^
Old Sun, Jul-21-02, 05:11
Registered Member

Stats: 148/135/110
BF:
Progress: 34%
Default Kelp

I read in a health book some time ago that sea kelp is very good when you are losing weight because it stops the metabolism slowing down, and if you have a sluggish metabolism, it regulates it (speeds it up).

I take a sea kelp supplement every day. It is 150ug and I buy a bottle of 500 tablets. The dosage is one tablet per day. I can't remember the price, but it is not expensive.

On the back of the bottle it says:

Kelp is a rich source of the trace mineral iodine which is necessary for normal growth and development. Iodine is required for the healthy functioning of the thyroid gland. As a vital component of two thyroid hormones, iodine plays an important role in the body's metabolism, the rate at which the body burns food for energy, and in the maintenance of connective tissue.

I know people who also take it for their joints.

To the best of my knowledge it won't interfere with low carbing, but perhaps a moderator can confirm this. It works for me.

#26   ^
Old Sun, Jul-21-02, 05:51

BF:
Default iodine

Hi,
That's interesting about the kelp...I'm all for anything that helps...just curious about the iodine they put in table salt though...wouldn't that do the same thing then or is that type different??
  #27   ^
Old Mon, Jul-22-02, 03:14
Registered Member

Stats: 148/135/110
BF:
Progress: 34%
Default Iodine

Smurfette

I would imagine that the iodine in table salt would be the same, except you wouldn't be ingesting very much iodine a day, certainly not the quantity in the kelp tablets. Too much salt is not good for you and also is contributes to water retention.

I'll try anything to help that isn't dangerous or illegal!

#28   ^
Old Mon, Jul-22-02, 05:17

BF:
Default salt

Hi 2bSlim,

You are right about the salt being too much. Point well taken. Mostly I don't take anything. I am really sensitive to everything. I think a lot of stuff is so risky. No point in being slim and sick eh? Hey, I love your name. Would make a license plate!
  #29   ^
Old Mon, Jul-29-02, 16:38

BF:
Default Reply to PM, Skinny2

Quote:
I started drinking green tea (mostly because I like it) and got some supplements as well. I was wondering, though, whether or not you could count a glass of tea (no milk, no sweetener) as one water.

I would have to say no, Skinny2. Water is water and green tea is not water. Green tea is caffinated and will dehydrate you, for every glass I would suggest another glass of water (above and beyond what you already drink). The extract supplements don't count this way, though. They are caffeine free.

I posted this here as your PM box is full. I think you'll get more replies this way as well (you'll definitely get more than just mine).

HTH
Nat
  #30   ^
Old Tue, Aug-06-02, 08:31

Plan: lchf
Stats: 325/264/140 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 33%
Thumbs up

guess i am going to have to run out and get some green tea
thanks for the info
maggie