Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jun-19-02, 17:49

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 322/312/150
BF:
Progress: 6%
Question Question for the experienced.....

I am drinking massive amounts of water. I suppose since I am so used to stuffing something down my throat(coke) I am probably replacing that emptiness with water and holding the bottle near by. I have been drinking between 100 and 150 ozs of water a day . I read the posts about too much water in athlete's and this is my question........

I used my ketostix this morning and they read large amount, now I had never tested twice in one day but I did today because I haven't seen any weight loss for a while, not weeks but about 1 abd 1/2 weeks and I was wondering if I am really burning.The ketostick result this afternoon was a trace. I am becoming very depressed and obsessed (within the past two days) withthe fact that I am trying so hard to do all the right things : I exercise alot, (when I had never exercised in my life) I drink lots of water( i only drank coke before), and I follow the diet. what is my problem? I wonder if the test could read that way because I drink so much water that the ketones are washed away throughout the day? Should I try drinking less water for a few days and test twice again to see if that was it?please help you response will be greatly appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: gif purpaw.gif (135 Bytes, 67 views)
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jun-19-02, 18:07

Plan: low glycemic
Stats: // Female jkl
BF:
Progress: 69%

Hiya! I think I'm experienced enough for this one. *grins and chuckles at herself*

Yes, if you are very well hydrated your keto stix will get lighter and lighter until they don't show. Try not to worry too much about it.

Think of it this way: Let's say that in an hour, you produce 10 'ketones' and 100 ccs of urine. You'd have 1 ketone per 10 ccs, or 1 in 10. With me so far? Now lets say you're still producing 10 ketones, but 500 ccs of urine in the same hour. Your concentration will go down to 1 in 50. See how it works? The ketosis stays the same, but the fluid is so much greater that the concentration is too low to read.

I'm using made up numbers, so don't try to compare that to what it says on the strips, but basically, if you're not hungry and you're following the plan, you're very likely in ketosis. If you need the boost of seeing the strips change, and I do sometimes so don't feel bad, then test either late at night (highest concentration of ketones) or first thing in the morning (least hydrated urine).

Try not to back off on the water; the amount you say you're drinking is about right. Being dehydrated isn't good for you and can slow down your weight loss.

Hugs! Stick with it!

Friday

Last edited by fridayeyes : Wed, Jun-19-02 at 18:16.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jun-19-02, 18:13

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Re: Question for the experienced.....

Question:

Quote:
Originally posted by Claudine29
I exercise alot, (when I had never exercised in my life) I drink lots of water( i only drank coke before), and I follow the diet. what is my problem.

Answer:

Quote:
I am becoming very depressed and obsessed

You answered it, Claudine. Friday has given you some great advice. Keep up what you're doing and let the program work for you. If you can, forget about it for a while - the worst thing you can do right now is stress over it! Stress = cortisol = no fat burning.

Big breath, keep drinking your water, keep eating your food and keep exercising. And throw out those little pieces of plastic

Nat
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jun-19-02, 18:18

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210.0/198.0/165 Female 5'5"
BF: entirely too much
Progress: 27%
Smile

Claudine,

You mentioned that you had never exercised before, but now you are doing that frequently. You are probably adding on a little muscle weight, which is a great thing. Your muscle tissue is metabolically active which means, you burn more calories just sitting around, than you would without the extra muscle. Don't get discouraged and hang in there! The weight will come off in its own time. And definitely keep drinking water, you want to wash all those ketones away.

Best of luck,
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jun-19-02, 18:28

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 322/312/150
BF:
Progress: 6%
Smile That is what I thought!!

Thanks for your response. I was sitting in froont of the computer waiting to see a response and I am so glad that you did! I will keep up my exact routine and keep testing throughout the day until I am convinced that this is what it is 1 I know it seems stupid but I am so worried. I have never tried anything and stuck to it , this is the first time and I constantly need the reinforcement!

Thanks again!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jun-19-02, 19:25

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%
Default Re: That is what I thought!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Claudine29
Thanks for your response. I was sitting in froont of the computer waiting to see a response and I am so glad that you did! I will keep up my exact routine and keep testing throughout the day until I am convinced that this is what it is 1 I know it seems stupid but I am so worried. I have never tried anything and stuck to it , this is the first time and I constantly need the reinforcement!

Thanks again!

Claudine...

Instead of testing throughout the day......test one time. In the morning. If you test more than that it will drive you batty because the strips will continue to change color on you.

Trust me on this......I was a manic when I started over a year ago. And in about another month...you won't be testing at all.

Deep breath! Sllllllooooooooooowly let it out and relax You are doing fine.