Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jun-15-02, 12:38
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 122/131/105
BF:26%/25%/18%
Progress: -53%
Default 1 Week on Induction and Feeling Weak

Hi guys! I'm hoping one of you experts can "diagnose" my problem. Sorry in advance for the length of this post.

I am on the 8th morning of induction. The last couple of mornings I have felt really weak and kind of dizzy when I get out of bed. The feeling lasts for a few hours. Yesterday, everything went black for a few seconds, kind of like when a person hasn't eaten in a couple of days.

I think I have been eating pretty well. My BMR is 1318, so I have been eating in the 1450-1650 range, mostly in the 1500's.

My diet has consisted of mostly "pure foods". I have been eating:

hamburger or turkey burger patties with mayo and mustard prawns and crab soaked in butter
tuna with mayo and 1 dill pickle
pork loin steaks
beef tenderloin steaks
chicken thighs and drumsticks with the skin
hard boiled eggs, about 2 every other day
2.5-3 cups romaine lettuce with sliced cucumber, 1.5 hard boiled eggs and 3T low carb Caesar dressing everyday

I drink 120-160 ounces of water per day and nothing else.

That's about it. I don't like very many foods other than junk food, so I mix and match the above items everyday. I haven't eaten any processed meats or any dairy and no snack food of any kind. I plan to add those foods later once I have my addiction under control.

On an average day, my ratios have been around 65% fat, 3% carbs,32% protein according to Fitday.

My BMR is 1318
My total calories burned are 1700-something to 2000-something (depending on exercise and daily activities)
I have been eating 1450-1650
I do some form of cardio or toning exercises 6 days a week 30-60 minutes.

I think I am eating enough since sometimes on non-active days I eat close to what I burn. The only thing I can think of is that my body is used to getting 3000 or more calories a day and this is a shock to my system. Or, maybe I am ust going through a normal induction phase.

BTW, I have lost 5 pounds in 7 days, but I don't count the first two because I know I was bloated from all the carbs I ate the day before I started the diet. From past experience, those two pounds would have gone away in a day or two anyway. I was down 2 pounds the second day after the bloating went away.

Day 1: 122
Day 2: 120
Day 3: 119
Day 4: 118.5
Day 5: 118.5
Day 6: 118
Day 7: 117
My body fat % (according to my scale) has stayed at 26%.

Why am I feeling so weak and dizzy? Can anyone help me figure this out? Thank you!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jun-15-02, 14:15

Stats: 256/220/215 Male 78 inches
BF:36/28/20
Progress: 88%

Hi Shasta,

Thanks for all the detailed information about your first week on the low-carbohydrate diet.

Feeling weak and having unusual body reactions is very common on the LC diet during the first few days on induction. This change is a very severe shock to your body and the reactions depend on the health of many body systems.

However, being dizzy is a concern. I am not a doctor, but this could be caused from low blood pressure and/or hypoglycemia (low blood sugar). Both of these conditions are common during induction also, but you wouldn't want them to become a health problem. Dr. Atkins recommends L-glutamine for hypoclycemia because it also serves as fuel for the brain during low blood sugar periods. This is typical for diabetics who cannot get "over-the-hill" and into a stable fat burning mode.

The weakness is very understandable and common. The body has been running on high levels of glucose and suddenly ran out of fuel. The body has a delay in switching from glucose to burning fat for energy. The brain has first preference in the demands the glucose and leaves the muscles short. This reaction is the same as experienced by long distance runners which they describe as "hitting-the-wall."

The body will adjust by burning body fat and dietary fat. Dietary protein can be converted to 58% glucose, and the brain will begin to operate on about 25% glucose and 75% ketone bodies. As things settle down the ketones in the urine will drop. Don't be alarmed and think you are no longer in ketosis.

Another reaction you will experience is the first few minutes into your exercise. The body will produce glucose from the dietary protein and store glucogen for muscle fuel. This storage will be small with regular exercise and burns very quickly into the exercise. This is the reason exercise is recommend on the LC diet. The glucogen must be burned off regularly in order to keep the muscles burning fat.

Weakness will appear for about a minute into the exercise, but the power will kick in when the muscles begin burning free fatty acids. Even so, don't expect to set new records on the LC diet. Glucose seems to be a hotter, faster burning fuel for the muscles. Some doctors recommend LC for training to maintain a low insulin resistance and switching to carbs for the competition.

Let us know what happens.

Kent
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jun-15-02, 14:56

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Hi Shasta!

Another possible cause for your dizziness could be lack of potassium. During induction, it's wise to supplement with 300-400 mg. of potassium daily along with a calcium/magnesium supplement as well. Are you also noticing muscle aches and/or cramping? That also points to a potassium/magnesium/calcium deficiency. Low carbing has a diuretic effect and drinking the water we need to drink also flushes out vitamins and minerals that you need to replace either in pill form or through your diet or both. It's also possible that you're not eating enough calories. Your BMR is based on a metabolism that is burning carbs for energy. Burning fat for fuel takes more energy than burning carbs, so that would increase your BMR. The recommended minimum is 10-12x your body weight in calories and that's just to support your basic metabolism. If you're weight training or doing vigorous exercise, you may need more.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jun-15-02, 21:37
Registered Member

Talking Thanks!

Thank you both for your replies. You both are a wealth of information.

Kent: Thanks for helping me understand the process a little better. Real life experience is easier for me to relate to than what I read in Atkin's book. It sounds like what I am experiencing is pretty much normal. I have noticed all the things you said while exercising, too. Any idea when I will start feeling more normal? Does it depend on how much of a carb addict I am? Cause I basically have eaten NOTHING but junk food since I moved out of my parents house 10 years ago. Believe it or not, Doritos and cake mix were the staples of my diet. (Why I never gained any weight (besides 10 pounds when I went on the Pill) is beyond me.) Might it take me longer to get through this stage because I used to literally live on processed carbs?

Lisa N: I will get a potassium supplement tomorrow. I actually just read about that today in a book about how to get the most out of a low carb diet. I AM having major muscle aches in my legs even though I am doing the same exercise that I have been doing for a year. The book said the same thing you said. It listed all my symptoms as potassium deficiency. With as much water as I drink, that would make sense.

I am actually eating around 13 times my body weight so that should be fine, right? Also, I have been spotting (not my TOM) since my 3rd day on this WOE. I read that menstrual irregularities may happen. Did that happen to you? I have no idea when to expect my TOM, now. I guess I can rely on my chocolate cravings to tell me.

Thanks again to both of you for replying. You put my mind at ease.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jun-16-02, 06:28

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Shasta..

A lot of women have reported menstrual irregularities when they first start low carbing. The theory as I understand it is that estrogen is stored in body fat. When it's released from the body fat as you lose fat, it can cause some spotting or menstrual irregularities. I've noticed a minimal amount, but mostly in getting my TOM a few days to a week early once or twice. It's settled down into a more predictable pattern now, which is great for me because I have PCOS. I'm not sure how accurate your scale is on the BF%. I did a quick calculation and came up with 21.1% BF for your current weight....a healthy range, but that may not be totally accurate, either. I'm shooting for about 22% myself (currently at 33%), but then I'm a little older than you, too. Since you're so close to your goal weight, you may want to consider ongoing weight loss and pre-maintainance a little sooner than the rest of us; those last few pounds should come off very slowly as you progress through the different phases. That way, you learn how to keep it off once you get to goal.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jun-16-02, 19:07

Hi Shasta,

Quote:
Any idea when I will start feeling more normal? Does it depend on how much of a carb addict I am?

You may continue some of the conditions which feel abnormal to you while on LC. Being dizzy when rising suddenly is typical for people with lower blood pressure and nothing to be concerned about. Hypoglycemia, if any, should be behind you now because it is not normal on a continuing LC lifestyle. The muscle weakness should gradually pass. Yes, your past carb addiction has shifted many body functions and could have caused some unhealthy conditions that will heal.

I use Morton's Salt Substitute, potassium chloride, as well as regular table salt, sodium chloride, in equal amounts. MSM, sulphur, is also recommended to prevent muscle cramps. I know a female marathon runner who had sever muscle cramps. They disappeared after taking MSM as recommended by a fellow runner. CoEnzyme Q-10 and Acetyl-L-carnitine are recommend to help energy production in the cells and will help cure the weakness.

I noticed you are seeking a low body fat percentage. Bodybuilders seem to be the experts on reaching a very low body fat percentage and are able to do so while building or holding their muscles mass. Since I am bouncing off my weight goal and seeking to decrease the percentage of body fat, I bought Arnold Schwarzenegger's book, The New Encyclopedia of Body Modern Building to get some ideas. I am only on my second day of a test and can't report on any results yet. Any suggestions from others would be appreciated. My plan is:

Consume some carb just before my 4.6 mile bike exercise routine. The important thing is to limit the carbs to the amount burned during the exercise. My bike ride today in 21 minutes was as easy as a 23 minute ride a few days ago. I eat 3/4 cup of a special Squash Pie made from butternut squash as honey, topped with a special 24 hour homemade yogurt. My wife uses 1/2 of the honey in the recipe on page 123 of the book, Breaking the Vicious Cycle or the link above. More information can be found at: http://www.scdiet.org.

An alternative carb snack could be one teaspoon of honey with two tablespoons of cashew nut butter. Do not use peanut butter as peanuts contain an oil that is unhealthy. The idea is to get simple carbs that enter the blood stream quickly and time the exercise to match.

Within 15 to 30 minutes after the exercise, consume a protein drink. I use diet 7-up and whey protein. Soy protein is not recommended. This is for building the muscles.

I will continue with my LC diet which is less than 20 carb during the day.

Continue my vitamin program.

Continue taking essential fatty acids. I take Carlson's cod liver oil and use almond oil with red wine vinegar on salad.

Good luck,

Kent

Last edited by Kent : Sun, Jun-16-02 at 19:13.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jun-16-02, 20:40
Registered Member

Kent: I actually use that salt substitute and MSM, Omega 3-6-9 EFA and Evening Primrose Oil along with a good multi and some other vitamins and herbs I take for my circulation. I started potassium today and I ordered some L-Cartinine yesterday, so I will start that next week. Do you know how much L-Cartinine I should take? I've heard that it helps with carb cravings and I really need that right now. Are there any other supplements that might help?

I don't think I can have the carbs (before and after working out) that you mentioned since I am only on day 9 of induction. I was actually wondering if a Tbs. or two of all natural peanut butter (5g carb) is okay on OWL. I know that nuts are okay, but I wasn't sure about peanut butter.

The thing I worry about is that peanut butter might cause other cravings. I did really well for the first 4 days, but since then I have been craving sweets in a BAD way. I'm losing my resolve very quickly. ARGH! This is painful! LOL! I just don't want to eat something that will set me off on a binge. That's why I am sticking to all natural foods for now. I'm scared!

--------------------------------

Lisa N: Thanks for the TOM info. It isn't really bothering me. I would just like to be able to keep track of where I am in my cycle so that I don't get any surprises. I should be on my 11th day, but I am having the cravings and crying spells that I usually have between days 20-28. I guess the symptoms could be from withdrawls. I hope I can get through this.

How did you figure out my body fat %? I thought measurements were needed for that? I used to always have around 18% (measured with calipers) until I went on the Pill and gained 10 pounds. A month later I went off the Pill and started exercising regularly to lose the weight (while not changing my diet , I love food too much). My BF% steadiliy went UP instead of down, according to my scale. Even though I didn't gain any more weight. Talk about confusing. I've always know that these scales aren't very accurate. I'm mostly using it to see if the number is going up or down.

I would be interested to learn how you figured out my %. I would love it if my scale was totally wrong.

Thanks to both of you for your replies and support!!!
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jun-17-02, 09:47

Shasta, your strong carbohydrate cravings could be caused by low blood sugar. As stated on one site about Atkins:

Quote:
Dr. Atkins' "induction phase" may cause problems in persons who typically consume large quantities of carbohydrates, or who are prone to hypoglycermia (low blood sugar), because their bodies may not be able to produce either glucose or ketones fast enough to supply the requirements of the brain and muscle activity, causing fatigue which may be sudden or extreme. I am aware of numerous persons who have had major problems with this aspect of the Atkins diet.

http://www.theidealdiet.com/aboutAtkins.htm
This is the link to the above quote, but I can see many incorrect statements by the author and many unnecessary statements of caution. I would check everything on this site against more reliable LC references.

The best way to prevent carb cravings and stabilize blood sugar is by eating fat. Try frying one slice of bacon on low heat as a snack to stop the craving. Stop cooking while the bacon is still floppy with white fat showing. Many people, myself included, love bacon this way, but others have this nagging phobia against eating pure fat this way, especially when growing up their entire lives hearing constant warnings to avoid eating fat. Look for bacon labeled "no sugar added." Some bacon labeled as "low-sodium" will also show no sugar in the ingredients list.

The amount of L-carnitine is not critical because high levels can be taken safely. Try two or three 500 mg tablets per day. Some people recommend it be taken between meals, but I take my with meals. Vitamins which are linked to the "acetyl" molecule are believed to be more easily taken up by the body and are preferred. Therefore, I switch to acetyl-L-carnitine.

Hang in there and be assured that great health benefits are ahead by eating LC.

Kent

Last edited by Kent : Mon, Jun-17-02 at 09:59.