Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, May-31-02, 19:59

Plan: Atkins Now/ Candidias Control 2003
Stats: 210/203/140
BF:47%
Progress: 10%
Question Why do I feel so sick????

Today, I went shopping, and bought some cold cuts and some sausages, a duck, some lamb chops, cheese and pork rinds. Thinking these items would work well in the diet.

I ate some pork rinds on the way home, bought plain, not flavor added Are flavored ones okay? This shopping was done after breakfast., eating the rinds around 11.am.

Any way I tried to eat some cold cuts, for lunch, both my husband and I ate some.... he really liked them, I felt sick after one bite.

The rest of the day, I couldn't even look at food, and my IBS started acting up.

Is all these strange happenings due to my body getting rid of toxins?

I feel full, and I am drinking lots of water....does anyone have any suggestions? I don't want to have to go off Atkins before I really get started.

Please..please help!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, May-31-02, 20:30

Plan: Dukan
Stats: 229/185/154 Female 168cm
BF:
Progress: 59%

Hi Alice, I dont see you mention eating vegetables and wonder if you are.
If it was me and all i ate was meaty things with no salad or vegies I would feel pretty well yuck too. Kind of nauseous?
Its not No carbs remember you get to eat 3 cups a day

Hope this helps
  #3   ^
Old Fri, May-31-02, 20:37
Registered Member

Plan: adkins
Stats: 125/110/110
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Are you used

to eating pork rinds? It seems like to me that when I eat pork rinds they tend to "blow up" in my stomach or stick halfway down. I can eat them, but I have to have something to drink with them and eat them slowly or I get the "blow up" and feel kinda sick. It's just a thought, but they sure do that to me.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jun-01-02, 06:24

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

If a food makes you feel ill, don't eat it. It could be the high sodium content of the pork rinds or the nitrates/nitrites from the cold cuts. Bloom is right...you need to add 3 cups of low carb veggies every day on induction, either salad with dressing (not low fat or low cal) or a combination of salad and some other veggie.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jun-01-02, 15:56

Plan: Atkins Now/ Candidias Control 2003
Stats: 210/203/140
BF:47%
Progress: 10%
Default Too little too much too fast

Thank you all for your wonderful advise.

I probably ate too many pork rinds too fast (bad habit) and I am not used to them.... they just tasted so good and junk foody.

And yes.... I am not a veggie fan...I enjoy fruit more, and so I tend to forget to add veggies to my meals, I am very bad that way.

So, not only do I have to learn to eat the Atkins way, but a more greener way. Eat those Veggies my mother used to tell me as a kid. Well now I am going to, SO there!!!!

If those cold cuts continue to bother me, I am going to conclude that it is the nitrates...and let my husband eat them all, since they don't bother him.

Thank you again for your help. You fabulouse people you!!!
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jun-01-02, 20:20

Plan: Atkins/Stnry Bike/Physio
Stats: 225/210/155 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%

Hi Alice.....

That sick feeling could be part of the adjustment your body is making to the new way of eating. When I began, I had a few days where I didn't do much but lie on the couch and feel miserable. Hopefully, this too shall pass for you.

Marlaine
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jun-01-02, 21:47

Plan: shangri-la/lowcarb
Stats: 185/173/145 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 30%
Smile Hello Alice

I can really sympathize with you I am about at the same place
I am in the middle of the carb withdrawl a little sick to my stomach, tired, headache, losing appetite I know it will pass. I have had it before but I remember the first time I gave up on the diet because I didn't think I could do this but I can. I hope you can stick with it. I don't know why I ever stopped it last time to many carbs with my name on them I guess.