Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, May-23-02, 01:53

Plan: Curves starting 13/4/04
Stats: 157/142/135 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 68%
Exclamation Going camping for 4 days - help!

Hi good people, I am trying to rack brains here.... I am off camping for Jubilee weekend with a whole bunch of scouts. Super some may think, mad others may think... but what I think is that I need help with what food?????! Being a veggie (therefore taking my quorn fillets and veggie bacon) but having no fridge out in the sticks and our coolboxes will be quite limited for space inside for meat eating, ravenous scouts, (not that the meat eating, ravenous scouts will be inside the coolboxes but rather their meat will - tee hee). What can I do....? Before this WOE I would have had sandwiches but of course that is now out of the question. There are salads too I could take... for the 1st day - as lettuces kind of go limp out of the cold. Any ideas on how long hard boiled eggs survive to be eaten outside of being refridgerated without salmonella or other tummy bugs occuring?
I really, really, really am open to any ideas and or suggestions to anything ......
I await your feedback with total anticipation and gratitude.....
many thanks
Fi

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, May-23-02, 08:43

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 210+/188/140 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 89%

Lets see. Mind you I'm new at this WOL. But thinking of things I would bring camping:

Pepperoni slices
Cheese slices
Celery with cream cheese or peanut butter
Various veggies to snack on
SF Deli Meats
Nitrate free hotdogs
Eggs and bacon over skillet on fire
Tinfoil so I can roast veggies and such on fire
Hamburger stuff ( minus bun)
Diet pops and bottled water
Tea and decaf coffee for cold mornings
Steak kabobs
Home made beef jerky
Nuts and such if you are past induction

To name a few. Makes me want to go camping.

Hope you have fun!

Kirsten
  #3   ^
Old Thu, May-23-02, 09:18

Stats: 222/209/150 Female 5' 6.5"
BF:39%/34.6%/24%
Progress: 18%

Hi Kirsten, unfortunately if you re-read her post she is a vegetarian, and therefore most of the things on your list are not allowed.

Fi, I totally see your dilemma! How veggie are you? Can you bring cheese? eggs? How about some veggie burgers/hotdogs? I know they are higher in carbs, but their better than nothing! I would also bring some lowcarb protein bars...

-Shelly
  #4   ^
Old Thu, May-23-02, 10:49

BF:

Dear Kirsten and Shelly
I so thank you for your replies but yes Kirsten, I am a veggie so most of those you listed would not be appropriate.... however, it has given me some ideas - thank you
Shelly, I can do cheese, and eggs, but I honestly thought that lowcarb bars were a no no, but on such situations would they be allowed? I would be working them off as it is work work work on these camps (shattered at even thinking about it....)
Veggie burgers/sausages I would be taking them too.
Thanks ever so much for replying - I now have a few ideas.... I've decided that I will take my own personal coolbox packed with iceblocks and my veggie bits, but they unfortunately only really last a day and a bit.... longer if I don't open the box of course, - mind you if I don't eat imagine how much weight I would lose... only kidding!
but....................................... how long can hard boiled eggs stay out of the fridge without going off? does anyone know that one I wonder?
thanks again guys
happy LC-ing
Fi
  #5   ^
Old Thu, May-23-02, 11:10

Stats: 210+/188/140 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 89%

:::slaps forehead:: Doh!!!! Boy do I feel silly. I'm sorry fine, I should probably read next time before I open my mouth.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, May-23-02, 11:18

Stats: 197/195/140 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%

Hi fine!

Just a suggestion...

Perhaps if you checked out the recipes section, or some other LC recipe website you may find some "portable" or "non-perishable" foods that may be suitable for your trip?

Good luck, and have fun!!

KC
  #7   ^
Old Thu, May-23-02, 12:47

Plan: Atkins induction AGAIN...
Stats: 242/197/199 Female 5'8.5"
BF:ALOT
Progress: 105%

You should by Dry Ice Blocks for your own cooler, those will last 2-3 days. Look in the yellow pages to find who sells it near you and ask them what they suggest for the size of your cooler.

Cindy
  #8   ^
Old Thu, May-23-02, 13:38

Stats: 222/209/150 Female 5' 6.5"
BF:39%/34.6%/24%
Progress: 18%

Oh! Howze about nuts? I know you shouldn't eat a lot on Atkins, but try Almonds and macadamias. Each have about 4 grams carbs per 1/4 cup and two of those are fiber. And yes, lowcarb bars can stall weight loss in some people, but I think this is an acception to the rule for you (you will be doing a LOT of "knees bent, running about advancing behavior!"). Sorry! Just my "French Knight" Monty Python trying to escape again...

-Shelly

"and that, my Lord, is how we know the earth to be banana-shaped."
  #9   ^
Old Sat, May-25-02, 11:13

Stats: 160/143/130 Female 5'6"
BF:32/*?!*!!/20
Progress: 57%

hi, I go camping too and have wondered about this since I started low carbing. I think hard boiled eggs would be OK for a day or so, but not much more if its warm. Are you anywhere near a stream? The old way of keeping things cold by tying them in a polybag to a root and letting them run in the water works really well (find a place in the shade). We camp just in a field all summer and have used this to keep milk cold as well as tonic for G&T's.
One way we get fresh lettuce is to take growing ones in little pots! we buy them from the gardening market stall like this and leave them in their pots (the veggie version of the old sailing ships taking live chickens on board maybe!
You're a brave woman taking scouts away - I used to do Scout camps too, sort of miss it, but it is manic as you say.
Have a brill weekend.
Jay
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Jun-02-02, 17:46

Plan: TKD
Stats: 190/190/175
BF:12% /12% / 7%
Progress: 0%

Well if I were you I'd break ketosis for 4 days. 4 Days never made anyone fat. I would definitely not want to be in keto-mode either while hiking or whatever.. I don't know what kind of activity you'd be doing but if it's somewhat physically demanding, you may get very tired.

I'm sure most people here would disagree with this suggestion, especially since your on atkins. Thats just my idea though. You can always increase cardio or throw some weight around and do your induction thing again to kick keto back into high gear quickly.

(Sorry I couldn't be of more help on the food suggestion though.)
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Jun-02-02, 18:41

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 171/135/140 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 116%
Default Bar-B-Que Picnic-Style Beans

Beans are an easy camping meal..I would have this for breakfast along with my eggs and bacon.....or any meal during the day....if you have access to Eden Organic Black Soy Beans this recipe is great...

http://www.lowcarbluxury.com/recipe...pecialty11.html

Also Mid West Chili and Beans...suspect you would have to substitute the meat part of it ...

http://www.lowcarbluxury.com/recipe...pecialty02.html
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jun-05-02, 08:18

BF:

Hi guys WOW! Thanks for all your replies, suggestions, tips & ideas....
I am back - 2lbs heavier but not worried about it... too much.
I took ice blocks (thank you Wangeci), placed the diet caffeine free cokes in the stream (thanks Jay) didn't have time to look for partially grown lettuces, but will definatley bear in mind for the next time.....
Vegie bacon and fried egg every morning and luncheon was boiled egg with loads of lettuce - treats were celery with the cream cheese on especially the first day & half (worried incase cream cheese would go off after that) took loads of macadamia nuts and boiled eggs in polythene bag and they lasted fine (all 4 days!), tummy said so anyway.
There were loads of activities and of course in the beginning the tent pitching, monkey-bridge making and firewood collecting so cardio work out too. Actually to be honest I think I may have had too much to eat - fun though! I think that the 2lbs extra was the red wine we had nightly... sssh don't tell the scouts though - giggle (Also TOM on Sunday which doesn't help either - tsk!)
I purchased from the www.carblife.com a MYOPLEX nutrition bar - and no hidden carbs!!!! 3g per 70g bar (but really quite expensive at £2.50) I tried the apple & cinnamon (not the most tastiest of tastyness, but edible) I bought it in case we went on a hike and this would be bunches easier to take than salad and an egg....
Bonnie I ran out of time to check out the bean situation but again shall bear in mind for next time.....
Thanks again everyone - from me
xx
Fi