Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, May-20-02, 11:09

Plan: atkins/protein power 1st
Stats: 269/278/210 Male 5 feet 10 ins.
BF:33%/30%/ ?
Progress: -15%
Default To belch or not to belch

It may be my imagination but I think I belch more than I used to.

Perhaps I should not use the word belch. In polite company I would use burp. Or if I were to go techno I would say Eructation. But Shakespeare would then never have invented Toby Eructation would he?

Dictionaries describe eructation as "the voiding of gas or of a small quantity of acid fluid from the stomach through the mouth". Normally the air in stomach is passed downstream into the intestines. Belching occurs when the stomach air, instead of going down, goes up into the esophagus and is expelled though the mouth. The acid taste of the fluid we all call heartburn

Belching after a meal, especially a big meal, I know is quite normal. It occurs as a result of air being swallowed while eating. In addition, a lot of swallowed air accumulates in stomach in between meals. The food once it reaches the stomach, displaces the air already present there.

The upward expulsion of air is facilitated by alcohol and carbonated drinks. Or for me - plain ol water.

Cultural acceptance of belching varies. While considered to be uncouth by Mrs R, a belch after a meal is considered to be a compliment for the chef in some eastern cultures that I have visited.

Aerophagia also means swallowing of air and is akin to a belch. It primarily occurs while eating, drinking, chewing gum and smoking. Sometimes anxiety causes people to suck air into the into the food pipe in addition to the wind pipe. It can be a nervous habit and nothing to do with the digestive system.

I do not think that I am stressed out over LCing so it has to be the food or the increased drinking.

So let me have it straight. Is it me or is this an LC side effect

Now I know that all you ladies when left alone in the house belch like troopers, so do'nt be shy. Tell me. No-one will hear.

Good news is that I now do not eat baked beans.

Last edited by rustpot : Mon, May-20-02 at 11:19.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, May-20-02, 12:55
Don't dream it be it

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 292.4/238.4/165 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

I've noticed that I hardly burp or have other gas at all when I'm low carbing. I used to burp all the time. My brother and my sister and I used to have contests after meals to see who could burp the loudest and the longest. I think it's the soda that I'm not drinking anymore.

Elihnig
  #3   ^
Old Mon, May-20-02, 13:21

Plan: atkins/PP/my own
Stats: 180/133/140
BF:sz 14/4-6/toned 4
Progress: 118%
Red face oh!

I've never been a big burper (unless beer is involved ) but I've definitely noticed a complete absence of.....farts! Seriously, unless I have one of those dratted low carb bars (I like to call them laxatives) the air is fresh and smelling like roses over here....tee hee hee

#4   ^
Old Mon, May-20-02, 14:39

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

Agreed - hardly any gas goes either way when I'm on LC. Before LC, I had the usual amount of flatulence but I was amazed at how it became unusual to pass gas when on LC.

On the other hand, I do not suffer from constipation from LC. In fact, QUITE the opposite. Anyone else?

BarB
  #5   ^
Old Mon, May-20-02, 14:51

Plan: Atkins OWL + PP Phase II
Stats: 160/142/130
BF:?%/25.6%/20%
Progress: 60%
Lightbulb burping and other forms of gas

I found that while my gas production has gone down to practically nothing, I do sometime get the burps. Mine are from taking my vitamins and supplements or if I eat too fast. I very rarely get gas in any form from my LC WOE. I have noticed that I will get very gassy if I happen to accidentally eat something bad for me aka high carb or bad carb. Even to the point of acid reflux or heartburn.

As for my other bodily functions, as long as I take my psyllium tablets, I'm ok in those areas. If not, things like to pass through without much effort, if you catch my drift...

Annie G (who never thought she'd share her "functions" with others like this... )
  #6   ^
Old Mon, May-20-02, 16:06

Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

Thanks Annie - I think I'll send DH out for psyllium tablets. Hadn't thought of that as I thought they were only for the other problem. And I know what you mean - quite a rush, in fact.

BarB
  #7   ^
Old Mon, May-20-02, 16:27

Stats: 154/126/126
BF:
Progress: 100%
Talking Where are the Gasbags????

Hi all,

I'd agree with all of you, I certainly hardly ever pass wind any more since LCing, it was one of the things I noticed fairly early into this woe. As for burping, no, can't say I do much of that either, so therefore, it must be you dear Rustpot!!!!

What a wonderful thread to start, don't you think! Nothing is sacred anymore on LC

Banana
  #8   ^
Old Mon, May-20-02, 16:40

Oh shucks. Am I the only belcher?

Well ... buurrpp... pardon me is all I can say I suppose.

Now I swear I did not know of this sites existence when I started this thread.
http://www.belch.com/

But I do agree with the others answers .... There is far less blowing in the wind!
  #9   ^
Old Mon, May-20-02, 18:46

Plan: TSP/PPLP/low-cal/My own
Stats: 250/209/150 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%
Default Rustpot, did you say something about drinking more?

I used to have a terrible problem with gas, but since low-carbing, I have had very few problems. And thanks for the idea about psylium tablets. I thought I would have to find the powder and figure out how to get it down.

;-Deb
  #10   ^
Old Tue, May-21-02, 03:38

Deb,

Yes I meant water. I think I must be one of those people that takes in air while drinking and this would explain my noisy observation.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, May-21-02, 10:55
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

I still belch away because I refuse to give up pop, but indeed, the alternative form of digestive gas release ceases when I'm LCing.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, May-21-02, 15:12

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

I think a lot of it depends on what you've been eating. I find that soy products or anything with soy in it gives me more gas than Exxon, but generally I'd have to say that there are a lot less sonic booms coming from our house than before.