Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Oct-22-01, 10:16
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins modified
Stats: 280//180
BF:
Progress:
Cool Almond Flour

Can someone post a link where I can buy some Almond Flour online? Not having any luck finding any in Omaha!

Thanks...

--Kirkwood
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Oct-22-01, 10:32
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Almond flour is finely ground almonds which you could probably find in with the nuts in your supermarket or a bulk food store.

Do you have a coffee grinder? You can make it by grinding small amounts of almonds, being careful that they don't turn into butter.

Here is a link Almonds on Line

Karen
  #3   ^
Old Mon, May-20-02, 20:04

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 452/386/200 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 26%
Question Almond flour

I've seen quite a few recipes that call for almond flour. I stopped by the local health food type store and didn't see it anywhere. When I asked I was told that they get 4 or 5 requests a week for it but would have to order such a large amount that they are afraid it would go rancid before selling it. I have also checked out the low carb shops on the web I know of (carbsmart, netrition, synergydiet). Can anyone point me in the right direction? Also does it really go rancid quickly?

Thanks,
Mark
  #4   ^
Old Mon, May-20-02, 20:14

Stats: 240/205/145 Female 5' 9-1/2"
BF:
Progress: 37%
Szar,

I bought almond flour from www.intestinalhealth.com. They sell it in big 5 pound plastic jars, which I keep in the freezer. I like it a lot and would buy it from them again.

The company doesn't carry inventory, but has the flour shipped directly to their customers from the company that grinds the almonds, so it is very fresh when you buy it.

Karla
  #5   ^
Old Mon, May-20-02, 20:14
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

Hi, Mark.

We almost all of us use ground almonds (usually available in the baking supply section or bulk food section, next to the blanched or flaked almonds or whole dried, etc. etc.). I sometimes grind them up finer in the food processor, pulsing so I don't make almond butter.

Of course you can get it online as well, if you want to pay more... http://NutsToYou.com if I remember rightly is one such site that comes well recommended.

There's an excellent discussion of such ingredients in the LowCarb Kitchen, in the Techniques and Tips section, called Links to LowCarb Ingredients ( <-- this is a link ) or some such... because everybody gets to learn such stuff

Enjoy!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jun-05-02, 10:24

Plan: Atkins/Kaufmann
Stats: 230/203/140
BF:48
Progress: 30%
Default Almond Flour

I just surfed the net and found an excellent site: www.almondsonline.com

I bought a 25 lb box of flour and stuck it in my freezer!
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jun-05-02, 10:54

Stats: 240/205/145 Female 5' 9-1/2"
BF:
Progress: 37%

And I just found www.truefoodsmarket.com, which carries almond flour, pecan flour, and walnut flour. The also carry all kinds of nut butters: almond, filbert, macadamia, pecan, cashew, and peanut, as well as soy butter (which I will not be trying any time soon), sunflower butter, and sesame tahini.

I ordered crunchy almond and macadamia butters, plus pecan flour. Oh, and before you ask, I did email them before buying to make sure the nut butters do not contain sugar, and they don't.

I also ordered macadamia, hazelnut, and coconut flours from the Nuts4u site. I asked them if they had any plans to sell peanut flour, and they said they will be adding peanut and brazil nut flour after this year's crop of nuts is in, probaly late August.

We are now officially addicted to almond flour pancakes and almond flour pound cake, so I can't wait to see how they taste with other nut flours!

Karla
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jun-05-02, 11:12

Plan: Atkins/Kaufmann
Stats: 230/203/140
BF:48
Progress: 30%

Karla,

Funny you should mention truefoodsmarket! I just found THAT site yesterday while searching for almond butter! I have been getting almond butter at the regular store (health food section of it) but I wanted to buy bigger jars of it.

My favorite snack is green apples, lightly salted and drizzled with warm almond butter! YUMMMMMMMMMMMM

I have tried other nut butters, but like almond the best. Soy butter makes me wanna puke. UGH. Haven't tried cashew butter yet though or macadamia butter. YIKES, now I'm hungry...time to go to truefoodsmarket.com!

Blessings!

Soteria