Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, May-16-02, 07:47

Plan: Protien Power
Stats: 245/197/205
BF:
Progress: 120%
Question Are you kidding me?

I found this posted on the website below which lists a bunch of ailments and how do deal with them

http://www.thompsons.co.nz/ailments.htm

>Diabetes -
>
> "A high fibre, high carbohydrate diet is beneficial, avoid excess >dietary fat. "

High carbohydrate diet for diabetes? That is rediculous!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, May-16-02, 08:03
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%
Unhappy

*sigh*

Matt, it boggles the mind just what are they thinking??? Recently, the American Diabetes Association published its newest recommendations for diabetics, and actually said it's fine to eat sugar, candies and cake. Their reasoning is that the diabetic can simply increase insulin or medication to deal with the increased blood glucose ... It's much more important to have a happy social life, and eat all manner of sweet treats than it is to make the lifestyle changes to control the disease.

You can read the article here.

Doreen
  #3   ^
Old Thu, May-16-02, 08:08

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%

I just love these people.

Instead of eating a healthy diet, just take a pill or get a shot to correct the problem. After all it's more money in the medical professions pocket instead of the poor farmers that grow food.

Got to love them. Yup.

Is it any wonder why the population is in such poor health with this mentality going around?
  #4   ^
Old Thu, May-16-02, 08:13

Plan: Protien Power
Stats: 245/197/205
BF:

What I can't believe is not only do they say that you can eat carbohydrates for diabetes.. its the fact that they recommend eating them. As if that is going to help! How exactly would that help deal with diabetes.. oh well
  #5   ^
Old Thu, May-16-02, 08:19
Forum Founder

BF:
Lightbulb

Actually, the recommendation to eat lots of fiber is a good one The trouble is ... it's always a picture of bread or a bagel or bowl of cereal or some other highly processed, refined starch/ grain product. We hear fiber, we automatically think bran. But, bran from grains is a joke, it's a myth. Fiber from VEGETABLES (nuts too) is superior, but people don't want to be told to eat more spinach.

If you want to read some interesting background on the false mythology of bran, check out Barry Groves' The Bran Wagon, from his article, The Cholesterol Myth.

Doreen
  #6   ^
Old Thu, May-16-02, 11:42
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 180/160/160 Male 5.7
BF:
Progress: 100%
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by doreen T
It's much more important to have a happy social life, and eat all manner of sweet treats than it is to make the lifestyle changes to control the disease
But of course! How do minor inconveniences like blindness, limb amputation and the like compare with the joys of "a happy social life"... in a wheel chair (or under a tombstone)?
  #7   ^
Old Thu, May-16-02, 14:42

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

It always amazes me to read things like this. A higher carb, low fat diet has been the recommendation for diabetics since the early 60's, but before that (according to my dad who is a retired doctor) diabetes was treated with...guess what? LOW CARB! I kinda wonder what sort of social life one has in the intensive care unit of the hospital when you wind up there in a diabetic coma because you thought that you could cover eating an entire chocolate cake by injecting more insulin? That should be a a real swinging time! Yup.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, May-16-02, 16:27

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 283/268/160
BF:
Progress: 12%
Default They're all nutz!

I think what Lisa N said was very interesting--prior to the 60s, lowcarb for Diabetics was the norm! Well, that was before the new diabetes drugs and probably before better forms of insulin were discovered.

So now, since we have these wonder drugs and it is easy to take an insulin shot, let's just eat whatever we want and counteract it with drugs/insulin.

I want to be off of my diabetes meds. I have no interest in taking any more just to have a piece of cake! Geez! It seems counterproductive!

Whew! I had to get that off my chest!
  #9   ^
Old Thu, May-16-02, 18:15

BF:

Theresa...

You're right. It was before oral hypoglycemics and more reliable forms of insulin. The recommendation to change was based on one study that was highly controversial at the time the results were posted. My dad still doesn't understand or agree with the current recommendations and supports what I'm doing 100%. Better to control your blood sugar with diet than by using drugs which have dangers and complications of their own. They may control your blood sugars, but they don't do much about all that extra insulin in your blood stream and the wild swings in blood sugar that you get even with taking the medications. People who have controlled their blood sugars with low carb often report a reversal of previosly acquired diabetic complications; you won't get that injecting insulin or taking Glucophage. If you haven't read it yet, pick up a copy of Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution...I think it's a must-read for any diabetic.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, May-16-02, 18:25
Forum Founder

BF:
Smile

Actually, I remember the day when everyone knew that to "go on a diet" meant you cut out the bread, potatoes and desserts --- starches and sugar. I still have an early Weight Watchers' program book, from 1978 ... it reads just like The Zone. Carbs are from vegetables and fruits. Bread and cereal is minimal, and must be whole grain, and potatoes are a rare indulgence. No SUGAR!!! Meat portions were much larger than allowed today.

Doreen
  #11   ^
Old Thu, May-16-02, 19:32

BF:

Doreen...

I also remember a day when a doctor told me that my problem with my weight was being caused by what he termed "overactive hand to mouth syndrome" and that all I needed to do to get my weight down was to cut my calories. After years of starving myself and getting nowhere it turns out I have PCOS and cutting the calories wasn't the answer at all! I have a sister in law who keeps going back to weight watchers even though it obviosly isn't working for her. It seems now that it's based on a point system and it doesn't matter what you eat as long as you stay under a certain number of "points" per day. Generally, the lower the fat content in a food, the lower the points.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, May-16-02, 19:38

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 287.4/255/155 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 24%
Post Ranting

I'll bet the ADA & CDA both get some $$ or other form of support from the drug companies. Not only that, but if the ADA, the medical establishment & the governments were to teach the populace that lowcarbing will control blood sugars in diabetics and prevent diabetes altogether, they would be out of a job. By they I mean the ADA/CDA and the docs.

I could rant on longer, but I'll spare you

Sign me,

Cynical Ruth
  #13   ^
Old Fri, May-17-02, 19:49

Plan: Dukan
Stats: 229/185/154 Female 168cm
BF:
Progress: 59%

Its a New Zealand website too, Im so proud http://forum.lowcarber.org/attachme...=&postid=375780 ....not
Thompsons are a big supplement company here, even I have there products.