Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, May-07-02, 18:29
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 350/334.5/170
BF:
Progress: 9%
Question I don't know who else to ask...

I have Type II Diabetes... whenever I have my period my blood sugar levels go down to normal... and then it goes right back up as soon as its over. Why?? I am wondering if my birth control pills have some sort of effect on my blood sugar but I'm not sure where to find this info. Does anyone here have any idea?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, May-07-02, 19:06

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

JJ....

that's very interesting because I don't take birth control pills and have exactly the opposite response. My blood sugars always run a bit higher (about 10 points higher on average) when Aunt Flo is visiting then return to normal when she's gone again. I've commented on that to my doctor and he didn't have any explanation for it. Maybe someone here does? I'm thinking that it's somehow tied to the hormone changes during that time. Many women have also reported that they have a hard time staying in ketosis during the time leading up to their TOM. Maybe the hormone changes cause an increas in insulin resistance?
  #3   ^
Old Wed, May-08-02, 18:16
Registered Member

Stats: 350/334.5/170
BF:
Progress: 9%

Thanks for the reply Lisa...

You know, I seem to be a weird exception to most of these dang rules... OH well, its nice to have at least one week where I don't have to worry too much about my blood sugars.
I did quit taking my BCP's recently. Hoping that will assist me in my weight loss, or lack thereof!! So I guess I will wait and see what my sugar does NEXT month.
Does Dr. Bernsteins book say anything about hormones and blood sugar?? I don't have it yet. I will pick it up on Saturday. I'm hoping there is more I can do to get my blood sugar under control without having to go back on Avandia.
Hope to talk to you again!
  #4   ^
Old Fri, May-10-02, 17:51

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

JJ...

The only thing that Dr. Bernstein says about oral contraceptives is that the higher dose combination types can cause impaired glucose tolerance, but that it's very minimal with the lower dose combination products. Not sure what type you were taking, but that might be your answer.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, May-18-02, 18:31

Stats: 132/124/118
BF:
Progress: 57%

Hello,
I was told that when a person with diabetes has a period their sugar goes down. It is because of a hormone. I dont remember which one it is but it causes your sugar to drop. Before I found out I was diabetic my sugar would drop very low. I didnt know what was going on and would tell my doctor that I walked around in a confused state and would end up places and didnt know how I got there. He just looked at me strange. A couple months later I ended up in intensive care, lost my vision and had a sugar reading of 700. That is when I found out I was diabetic. As far as birth control pills... I know they cause weight gain and water retention. I dont know the effects on blood sugar. There are so many drugs out there that have bad effects on blood sugar. Hope this helps in some way. You could do searches on the net to see if you can find answers to you questions or contact the diabetes foundation.
Susie