Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, May-08-02, 13:25
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Thumbs down A Low-Carb Nightmare

I would now like to complain about my weekend.

I'm in the army reserves, and we had a weekend training exercise in the field. If you want to see where we were, just go to mapquest and type in "HELL" - it should put the red star right in the middle of the CF training area in Meaford, Ontario.

- I had PMS and a fully automatic rifle. Bad combo.
- I didn't get ONE OUNCE of chocolate in my ration packs - most of them have a chocolate bar.
- I didn't get ONE WINK of sleep for a 48 hour period.
- We had to travel at least six miles through treacherous terrain carrying about 25 lbs of stuff, plus the rifle.
- We had to cross a swamp and we were in up to our thighs in cold water.
- I only got to fire off one round.

The ration packs are gross and they're almost nothing but carbs. The "main dish" portions are horrid - I managed to choke down the chicken a la king, but they're very highly preserved and salty. It's so devoid of nutrition that there's a rule that troops can't go more than five days living off them. But you have to eat them - you burn at least 5000 calories over the weekend between walking, running, carrying heavy stuff and being in a state of extreme anxiety for 48 straight hours.

So now I'm back and I had a hard time getting back into the swing of things. I had no food here and I was in too much pain to go to the store, so I ended up carbing out on what was left of my rations on Monday and Tuesday.

I'm off to the store now. Must... have... eggs...
Must... put... down... sugary bits...
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, May-08-02, 14:08
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 238/190/155 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 58%
Default No Life Like It Eh?

Hi Kristine,

A friend of mine tells about being on an exercise, hiding in the mud outside a city. All night he had to stare at the lights of those people, nice and warm in their houses and console himself with the thought that he was keeping them safe...in a pretend sort of way . We may not see you, but we thank you! Now go wrestle a steak into submission!

Colin
  #3   ^
Old Wed, May-08-02, 15:22

Plan: bfl
Stats: 180/185/150
BF:
Progress: -17%

I have been there too Kristine and I feel for you eating those MRE's. Those things have so much salt in them you bloat up like a goodyear blimp! I have had to eat those things for two weeks before, and what I ended up doing was eating only ONE MRE a day, just splitting the little packets of food up throughout the day. I still didn't eat all of it in a day though, and used the candy to barter for other things from ppl. I even managed to lose some weight while eating them, although I was so bloated it took a day or two after I got out of the field to tell I had lost anything lol!

The new MRE's they have have things like jamaican pork chops, ham slice, chicken breast patty and I think a salisbury steak type meal. Not too bad for us low carbers, but still alot of carbs and very little choice of what to eat. Either you eat what they give you or you starve You will get back on track, don't worry.

Yoo-yah!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, May-08-02, 15:27

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

Too bad you can't sneak your own rations in. Like pack in the cream cheese, pepperoni sticks and pork rinds.

At least you would have something with flavor
  #5   ^
Old Thu, May-09-02, 08:25
Forum Moderator

BF:

Colin said:<i>All night he had to stare at the lights of those people, nice and warm...</i>

Know the feeling. Kno-o-o-o-o-w the feeling.

Sizzle said: <i>The new MRE's they have have things like jamaican pork chops, ham slice, chicken breast patty...</i>

We have similar stuff, but it's still pretty gross. They all have the same flavour - must be a particular preservative.

<i>...you bloat up like a goodyear blimp!</i>

Tell me about it! I know I was dehydrated because I didn't pee for over 24 hours (I'm in the bush surrounded by men!) but I still came back six pounds heavier. Who would think that a port-o-potty would ever look inviting?! I was quite thrilled to finally find one.

Agonycat said:<i>Too bad you can't sneak your own rations in. </i>

Yeah... not really an option, though, when you're already desperately trying to minimize what you're carrying. Our packs are already busting at the seams. Oh well. If there's ever a time where high-carb is useful, that's it. It's a constant burn.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, May-09-02, 10:44

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210.0/198.0/165 Female 5'5"
BF: entirely too much
Progress: 27%

I'm in the Reserves, too & when we go to the field, we don't have much choice in MRE's. They pretty much just hand them out & you can try to trade out with someone. If I eat them for more than 1 day they really kill my digestive system. We'll be going to the field soon, I guess I will have to get back to good low-carb eating when I get back.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, May-09-02, 10:47

Plan: atkins-ish
Stats: 403/403/299 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Thumbs up Thumbs up!!!

I had to laugh out loud at the idea of PMS'ing and carrying a rifle!!! Good job at not HURTING anybody with it!!

#8   ^
Old Thu, May-09-02, 12:20

Plan: low carb
Stats: 212/188/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 39%
Default MRE

The troops who served in Desert Storm said MRE stands for Meals Rejected by Ethiopians. (I think there was a famine going on in Ethiopia at the time.) PMS and a weapon - and people LIVED!?!?!
  #9   ^
Old Fri, May-10-02, 09:42
Forum Moderator

BF:
Cool

<i>Meals Rejected by Ethiopians...</i>

*LMAO*!!

They're called IMPs here - probably stands for Individual Meal Pack. Hmm...

Inedible Meal, Preserved
It's Mainly Preservatives
I Must Puke
It's Mostly Putrid

BTW, we were only firing blanks. Otherwise, I'm sure there'd be a rule in the forces that no female could be issued a weapon within 5 days of begining menses.