Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, May-07-02, 11:11

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 296/278/179 Female  5'8
BF:
Progress: 15%

I'm sure this is a very very dumb question, so please forgive it.

I'm doing a few exercises with free weights. The instructions say to exhale while you're lifting and inhale while you're lowering, which seems counterintuitive, or at least unnatural, to me. (Not that it has to be natural, but...) My instinct is to breathe when I lift and let out when I let down. I'm sure there's a scientific reason for the reverse. Could someone explain it?

The fact that I'm totally uncoordinated doesn't help.....
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, May-07-02, 11:17
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess
Progress: 13%

You know what? I don't worry about it too much..... just remembering to breathe at ALL is enough to keep me busy!!!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, May-07-02, 11:19

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 296/278/179 Female  5'8
BF:
Progress: 15%

Thanks! I keep stopping because I'm out of sync. I did do just what you suggested -- breathing in a way that, for me, is natural -- and it made the lifting much easier. Which is why I wondered if there was a scientific reason for the way the instructions were worded.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, May-07-02, 11:36

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210.0/198.0/165 Female 5'5"
BF: entirely too much
Progress: 27%

I'm no expert, but I looked around on the internet, and it seems while most people agree to exhale while lifting, some people feel the opposite is just as beneficial. Just be sure not to ever hold your breath while lifting.. Your muscles definitely need the O2!!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, May-08-02, 19:58

Plan: Modified DANDR with BFL
Stats: 215/170/155 Female 5'6"
BF:gonna/bea/hardbody
Progress: 75%

Exhaling with exertion is similar to what they do in karate. When they break boards or perform moves that require a lot of physical exertion the yell helps to occupy your mind and it is also as if you are pushing with your breath and diaphram also.
If you exhale with force while exerting force it seems much more natural to me. Some peopel exhale so loudly it makes a sound (air rushing). I exhale harder (louder) with the more effort I put forth. It also a fail-safe to assure that I do not hold my breath.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, May-19-02, 14:15

Plan: atkins
Stats: 235/225/155
BF:
Progress: 13%
Default Breathing

It's true that in martial arts we do exhale at moment of exertion. We do what is called abdominal breathing (we were born this way). What it is, is when you inhale you push out the abdomen; when you exhale, pull the abdomen in and tighten your glutes.
The reasons for this are to improve the blood circulation to your internal organs. It also helps to strengthen them.

This is what I have been taught, It may seem odd but, if you train you should do total body training. Without proper technique you will have limited paybacks. Here it goes:

1. Lay down in a comfortable position. Relax and breathe naturally. (Sleeping Motion)

2. While in sleeping motion, place both hands on your lower abs. Slowly inhale and feel your stomach raise (all breathing through mouth). Exhale slowly and feel your stomach sink. This is natural breathing.

3. Repeat step 2 but after you have inhaled , hold air in lungs. Exhale, and hold with lungs empty.

4. Inhale and hold for 5 seconds. Exhale and hold for 5.

5. Inhale for a count of 10, then hold for 5 seconds. Exhale for a count of 10, then hold for 5.

6. Inhale for a count of 10, then hold for 10 seconds. Exhale for a count of 10, then hold for 10.

7. Practice step3 with movement of body.

8. Practice step 4 with movement of body.

9. Practice step 5 with movement of body.

10. Practice step 6 with movement of body.

This has to be practiced, it doesn't come in one day. I hope you find it helpful, It really helps me in my training.

The reason for exhaling when exerting maximum power is that it helps improve the distribution of oxygen to your muscles.

Good Luck and Good Health

Sharon