Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, May-03-02, 16:26

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 240/234/150 Female Five Feet
BF:40%
Progress: 7%
Default Can I eat rice?

We went out last night for the first time in a long time. I poured
over the menu, it was a spanish place, I finally decided on grilled catfish, rice, and veggies. It was really good, when I came home that night I tried to look up rice in the atkins book, but I couldn't find it. Is rice considered a low carb food? Did I do a no-no by eating it, I'm sure there wasn't maybe only 2 cups of it,if that. And another thing, I lost 7 pounds in the first week, I eat my salads and nothing I am supposed to eat. I am drinking plenty of water, but I seem to have not lost anymore weight. Ironically, I eat less and am not as hungry as I used to be. It is a stretch to eat 20 grams of carbs. If I don't eat enough calories, will my body hold on the weight and not allow me to drop the pounds?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, May-03-02, 16:51

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

Rice is known as a HIGH carbohydrate food. It is not allowed on Atkin's induction. If your daily carb allowance can handle it afterwards fine.

Rice, pasta, potatos, bread, sugar are the high carb foods we avoid the most. To give you an idea....1 cup of regular white rice is 53 grams of carbs.

Drink lots of water to help flush it out. Be aware the following 48 hours may bring cravings due to eating the rice.

Last edited by agonycat : Fri, May-03-02 at 17:04.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, May-03-02, 17:44

Stats: 222/209/150 Female 5' 6.5"
BF:39%/34.6%/24%
Progress: 18%

Rice, definitely not good. If there was about two cups, that was about 106 grams of carbs...BAD carbs. A good idea for you would be to log into Fitday.com and put food in you are not sure about BEFORE you eat it, then you won't have to worry about it later. Sounds like there could be hidden carbs (or not so hidden) in some of the other food you are eating that could be stalling weight loss.

-Shelly
  #4   ^
Old Fri, May-03-02, 18:39

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%
Default Another suggestion...

Get yourself a pocket carb counter so that you can look up the carb contents of food when you are eating out BEFORE you eat it and realize that you ate something you shouldn't have. A good rule of thumb is that if it's white (or would have been if it weren't covered in sauce), don't eat it. The exceptions that I can think of being Ranch and Bleu Cheese dressing. How about next time asking of they will substitute a salad for the rice or potato? Most restaurants are happy to accomodate people on special diets and I have yet to eat at a restaurant that told me I couldn't substitute. If you don't get enough calories, you body WILL hold onto it's fat stores as it thinks a famine has begun. The best way to increase your calorie intake without having to eat a lot of food is by increasing your fat intake. Add butter to your veggies, cook things in butter or olive oil, etc.. A good place to check how you're doing is www.Fitday.com. You will have to register, but it's a wonderful resource and it's free. Happy low carbing!
  #5   ^
Old Sat, May-04-02, 07:48
Registered Member

Stats: 206/199/136
BF:
Progress: 10%
Default rice

I admit to being totally confused as to why rice is a high carb food, although I know it is after reading this and checking my carb counter, b/c the Japanese are so thin!

Don't beat yourself up over it, just pick up where you left off, there's got to be some kind of wonderful substitute for it and if there is, someone will share!!!
  #6   ^
Old Sat, May-04-02, 08:05

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%
Default Re: rice

Quote:
Originally posted by Lena gal
I admit to being totally confused as to why rice is a high carb food, although I know it is after reading this and checking my carb counter, b/c the Japanese are so thin!

You have to consider one thing. The Japanese do not eat the same things we do.

In the past they didn't grow up with McDonalds, Wendys or fast junk foods like we Americans have. I doubt you would have found breakfast foods laddened with sugar like in our super markets (anyone for poptarts, sugar frosted flakes or sugar coated danish?). Face it our society of hurry up, go faster mode has created fast foods that are really unhealthy. They load us up with sugar and caffiene to keep us up however it also slowed us down by making us gain weight. Cultures that had never seen a McDonalds that now have them are seeing an increase rate of overweight population. That should tell us something.

Plus I doubt the Japanese eat 2 cups of rice at one sitting either.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, May-04-02, 09:48
Registered Member

Stats: 206/199/136
BF:
Progress: 10%
Default how true!

Yes, they don't scarf down Big Macs!
  #8   ^
Old Sat, May-04-02, 10:55

Plan: mostly paleo
Stats: //
BF:also don't care
Progress: 100%

try very hard to get at least 2000 calories, too. How do you do that? By adding fat--butter, dressings, mayo on everything you can think of.

With the exception of perhaps only cauliflower and radishes, if it's white, it ain't right for Atkins.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, May-04-02, 12:45

Stats: 222/209/150 Female 5' 6.5"
BF:39%/34.6%/24%
Progress: 18%
Default Cauli-rice?

I think Karen has a substitute for rice using cauliflower. It is a great sustitute for rice and mashed potatos.I steam it and mash it with butter and cream, then top my "Sheppard's Pie" with it, top it with chedder and bake. I don't even miss the potatos...well maybe just a little...

-Shelly
  #10   ^
Old Tue, May-07-02, 07:24
Registered Member

Stats: 180/168/160 Male 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 60%

Being an Asian myself, I can attest to the fact that Asian's "slimness" is completely attributed to their native diet. I am over weight because I was brought up mostly on an American diet. However, I will tell you that Asians do know that rice is what can make you fat. And yes, we do typically eat 2 cups (cooked, that is) of rice at a typical meal - that is, if you're still hungry after eating your 6 cups of vegetables . That of course, is what I miss the most - plain, white rice.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, May-07-02, 10:38
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%

Glycemic Index refers to the ability of a food to raise blood sugar levels and cause insulin to be pumped out. Now, I know that some LC experts don't consider the GI important (the Eades of Protein Power state that it's meaningless, since we rarely eat a food alone, but usually combined with other things, and this totally changes the rate the carbs are digested) .. Anyhoooo, it's still worth noting that rice .. even whole grain BROWN rice ... has a GI value of 124, as opposed to granulated white sugar, with a GI value of 92.

Doreen