Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, May-02-02, 09:16
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 252/209/170
BF:
Progress: 52%
Unhappy HELP - Rectal Bleeding - Gross

What a topic!

The quick facts:

I have been low carbing since the end of January, doing wel ... lots of energy, losing weight. Basically staying on induction. Typical day's worth of meals is:

AM - 2 eggs, 2 strips of bacon
SNACK: Macademia, Sunflower or Cashew Nuts or pork rinds
Lunch: Meat and veggie or salad with meat
Dinner: Meat and veggie or salad (depending on what I had at lunch)

I typically (prior to diet and with diet) have a bowel movement every other day or every third day (I can't believe I am talking about this!). Never has been a problem ... it is just my regularity. Well this morning I went to the bathroom, just to urinate and blood was dropping quite quickly from my rectum. Quite a lot. My last bowel movement was Tuesday. No symptoms, no pain just bright red blood. It seems to have stopped now, but I am frightened.

I work in a hospital, but don't want just run to a doctor.

1. It is so extremely personal and these are my co-workers
2. I have been very vocal about my diet and don't want to deal with any negativity that this may cause.

Any advice .... would be MUCH appreciated.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, May-02-02, 09:23
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins to Zone
Stats: 134/125/120
BF:
Progress: 64%

Can you not go to another doctor or hospital where you don't know people?

I would get it checked out asap.

Worst case scenario: put your pride aside and get a co-worker to check you out - you might be embarrassed and uncomfortable but that's a small price to pay for your health.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, May-02-02, 09:29

Plan: Fat Flush Plan (Zone)
Stats: 249/133/115
BF:
Progress: 87%

Hi,
this could be anything from bleeding hemorrhoids to cancer, you really need to overcome your discomfort and see a doc, asap, ER if necessary!!!

here's some links to read about intestinal bleeding and what to do for different causes.

http://www.curezone.com/schulze/her...lon_cancer.html

http://www.curezone.com/books/onlin...e_Intestine.asp

http://www.curezone.com/books/onlin...mate_Tissue.asp

http://www.curezone.com/schulze/her..._parasites.html

http://www.curezone.com/books/The_C...l_Diseases.html

best wishes
Mila
  #4   ^
Old Thu, May-02-02, 09:29

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 1/1/1 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 44%
Default I second that...

I think you should get to a doctor and get it checked out.... You dont want to put your health at risk just to save face.

Akiwican
  #5   ^
Old Thu, May-02-02, 09:31
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess
Progress: 13%

Get checked ASAP. It most likely does not have any relevance to your diet.... perhaps a polyp or cyst has developed and then ruptured.

Absolutely nothing to mess with.... get going.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, May-02-02, 10:01
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%

1. 90% likelihood that it's hemorrhoids ... especially the lack of pain, and the fact that the blood is fresh, red. Next suspect is a polyp or cyst ... or possibly an abscess. Did you notice pus or any other discharge? A very remote teensy chance of a tumour ... the blood would more likely be dark, old .. blackened.

2. The only dietary concern that needs to enter the conversation would be insufficient fiber and water. And that's not just a concern with LC'ing .... folks eating the standard food pyramid diet lack fiber too .. if they eat only processed white flour things, and drink juices instead of eating whole fruits and veggies. So, you might have to put up with a lecture about getting more fiber, and drinking more water

3. Get over any shyness!!! I've worked in Emerg, been charge nurse in ICU etc etc .. and my experience has been that the docs and nurses and everybody took extra pains to be kind and considerate for me whenever I've needed care .. including gynecological procedures, and when I've been a sobbing mess with a severe migraine.

If your own personal dr. is accessible, I'd suggest phoning her/him right now to see if you can get an appointment ASAP. If not, then to Emerg. with you .. and if the bleeding starts up again, don't wait .. go straight to Emerg.

Keep us posted how you're doing.

Doreen
  #7   ^
Old Thu, May-02-02, 15:24

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%
Default Ditto what Doreen said

gomanngo...

Get thee to a doctor! While it may be nothing more than bleeding hemorrhoids, it could be something more serious and you need to get it checked out ASAP. Bleeding is a symptom that should never be ignored or put off until a more "convenient" time presents itself or nobody you know happens to be around. Better to suffer a little embarassment than serious physical harm!
  #8   ^
Old Thu, May-02-02, 20:14
Registered Member

Plan: none
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 00
BF:none
Progress: 11%

I have had a similar experience, It really scared me, I had it checked and it turned out to be a hemorrhoid that was irritated from being a little constipated from the diet. Bright red blood is usually from something like this and dark blood shoild always be checked. I think you should be checked anyway just in case it's really irritated, and maybe something else. The other thing I thought of was are you close to getting your period by chance, or on birth control pills and could possibly have some breakthrough bleeding? Just a thought... But go to the doc and put your mind at rest!