Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, May-01-02, 05:18

Plan: LOL THE ONE ON THE WEBSITE I GUESS
Stats: 165/146/140
BF:165/146/135
Progress: 76%
Question Help me please!!

1) I started the Atkins diet on April 20th I was 165 now im 150-152 . Should i be losing my weight so fast????
Im getting scared.

2)Will i have to exercise or left weights to get my body toned or will it happen on its own?

3)Should i be taking Garlic pills to keep my cholesterol down?

Thanks in advance

lol did i mention im a newbie

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, May-01-02, 05:34

Plan: Fat Flush Plan (Zone)
Stats: 249/133/115
BF:
Progress: 87%

Hello!

welcome crazykeya!!! glad to see you here!!! you are doing great!!!

to answer your questions, yes it is normal to lose a lot on induction. don't be scared, it's mostly waterweight, or so called 'false fat', water trapped in your cellulite and intestines. it will slow down eventually. remember to drink at least a gallon of water per day, to keep yourself well hydrated.

you do need to weighlift and do some toning/stretching exercises in order to control the flab and keep your skin in top condition (elastic and healthy). if you do not have much to lose, it is not as critical as in heavier people, but you need to strengthen your bones and tighten your muscles anyways, or your body will be looking fatter than it actually is (larger size).

you can take your garlic pills, or normal garlic, but not for cholesterol, for it will be within the normal range anyways. remember to have plenty of healthy oils in your diet, they are the building blocks for good hormones and cholesterol (most cholesterol is produced by the body and doesn't come from the diet). these are: olive oil, omega-3 oils in omega-3 eggs and flax oil/flaxseeds/flaxmeal, fish, such as tuna and salmon and sardines.

best wishes on your weight loss adventure and maintenance!

hugs
Mila
  #3   ^
Old Wed, May-01-02, 13:02

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 186/186/140 Female 52 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

I agree when you first start out on induction you loose alot of weight fast that is water weight from areas of your body... After it will slow down ...I now only loose about 1-2 lbs a week for right now and will eventualy soon slow down a bit more... After induction you will be adding soem extra carbs in your diet ... by adding 5 carbs a week or bi weekly till you get to the point where you stop loosing weight and then back down some to start loosing again for a slow stead weight loss... and it will make it easier for it to be a way of life instead of a way to loose weight fast.

Keep up the good work you are doing

Tammy
  #4   ^
Old Wed, May-01-02, 17:01

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 222/209/150 Female 5' 6.5"
BF:39%/34.6%/24%
Progress: 18%

Which plan are you following? I couldn't glean much from "the one on the Website" and "the old one," as there are around 10 different plans on this site.

-Shelly
  #5   ^
Old Wed, May-01-02, 21:42

Plan: LOL THE ONE ON THE WEBSITE I GUESS
Stats: 165/146/140
BF:165/146/135
Progress: 76%

It was the atkins diet (white book). Then i found the Atkins website and thats when i really started my diet.

Thanks for all the infomation i really appreciate it you guys

I got one more question.. How long do i have to stay under 20 carbs a day? Sometimes i beat myself in the head or i will cheat lol
  #6   ^
Old Wed, May-01-02, 22:30

Plan: Atkins-ish, post-WLS
Stats: 408.0/288.0/168.0 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

Induction normally lasts two weeks and after that you can start increasing both the quantity and the variety of the carbs.

Have you read the book? That is critically important. You are undertaking a new way of life and to be successful you want to understand what that way of life is all about so that you can almost effortlessly make your eating choices - and after a while it is almost effortless IF you understand the principles and let them guide you.

Cheers.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, May-02-02, 21:37
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 235/217/190 Male 5'11''
BF:
Progress: 40%

Crazykeya,
Make sure you are taking vitamins, especially a good multi-vitamin. And make sure you are getting enough to eat.
How do you feel throughout the day? Do you ever feel dizzy or lightheaded?
Be sure to drink plenty of water to keep yourself hydrated.
If you feel good, are eating right and taking vitamins and able to drop that much weight in 11days maybe you should change your name to Luckykeya.
Pay attention to any signs from your body, if something is not right, it will let you know.